Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Great Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Site!

So glad I stumbled across this site. I was feeling pretty isolated as my husband just finished M2 and has been CONSTANTLY studying for the boards over the past few weeks. I'd like to know if there are any "older" spouses/partners out there. My husband started med school at 36 and I'm now 35. Would love to compare notes. Thanks!

Hi,

What's your husband's m.o. for studying for the boards? Athough it's still a year away for us, my boyfriend is starting to kick around ideas for how he's going to get that done. He's even talked about going to stay with his parents for a few weeks since he's less tempted to get drawn into conversations or socialize with them like he tends to when he studies at home or school. His mother would be thrilled, but I doubt he's actually going to go through with that option.

My bf just finished his M1 year and he's 32 and I'm 27, so I'm not sure what that counts as . . . semi-older? From what I understand, in his class of 180 first-years there's a handful in their 30s and two people in their 40s.

What did your husband do before he was 36?

Welcome aboard.

Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Hello and Welcome!

There are a handful of us who are in this process as 'older' people. My husband is 35, I'm 36 and he just finished his residency in pediatrics and will be starting a fellowship July 1.

My husband attended USUHS (Uniformed Services) and there were many older students, who like my husband, had prior military service, used the GI Bill or ROTC to complete their undergraduate degrees and then did the med school route. I think the average age of USUHS grads is at least 10 years higher than civilian med schools.

So, welcome aboard and we're loking forward to getting to know you better.

Jenn

Comment

We are in the "older" group too!!! My husband is 35 and I am 37. We are just finishing up the internship year and have three more years to go to get through the anesthesia residency. We took some detours before pursuing the physician road! My husband actually studied electrical engineering and worked through college as an electrician. He considered becoming a general contractor before committing to follow his long time dream of becoming a doctor.

Anyway ... welcome to the group. Glad you found us.

Robin

Comment

Welcome,
          We are the seniors, I am 45 and my husband is 52!!!! He has been out of training for many years, but the "issues" remain the same. Glad you found us.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We're pretty old too--I'm 35, and my husband is 34. He just finished up a Family Practice residency (we're going back for the graduation the end of this week) and started in May as an Attending with a small group practice in rural Arkansas. He graduated from medical school in '96, did an internship year in Pennsyvania, then went to the military for 3 years to return the time commitment, THEN did a 3 year residency in Wisconsin, before high-tailing it to a warmer climate.

Welcome!

Comment

Working...
            X