Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another new person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new person

Hi everyone!
    My name is Cherry and my husband is just starting is third year. I am so glad I found this site because the past year has been really hard. Here is my sad little story. My husband and I have been dating since 96. During his first year of med school we had a long distance relationship. (I stayed in California to finish my teaching credentials while he went to Chicago). We got married last June and I moved out in August. Being newly married to a 2nd year med student and being away from friends and family has been difficult. Since August this year has been stressful. I started working in an inner city school which was so much harder than my previous teaching jobs. I worked there for six months and was making 1/2 the salary I was making in California because I was waiting for my state credentials. To make matters worse, I was told by the city of chicago that I could not teach because they did not recognize the alternative certification program I attended. I had to leave the school in the midst of winter and found myself jobless and away from everyone I knew. My husband felt bad but he was just trying to keep his head above water with finals and boards. Though I would call my friends back home, they could not understand what I was going through...

Anyway, to make a long story short , I have finally taken care of all that paperwork nonsense and I have signed a contract to teach 2nd grade this coming year. I am so excited and I can't wait to be around people who can talk about something outside of medicine.

I am so happy about this site because it helps me to feel like I am not alone. The people around us are all med school students. My husbands med school friends are all nice and we like to go out with them but they are all young and single (we are both turning 30). When they are not talking about hospital rotations, they are talking about going to bars and clubs. My friends back home are all moms and I can't wait to have kids. When I bring up this topic to my husbands friends they look at me like I am speaking another language.

Well I think I've rambled on enough for my first post... I think I just had a lot of pent up frustrations. Thanks for this site again!

Cherry, welcome to site - I know the headaches of dating a med student and moving to be with him. We both graduated from the University of Kansas, I moved to Denver for a job and then six months later we find out my now husband was moving to California. So 8 months after that I was off to California too. He was in his first year at that time. It is hard and luckily I have one friend from college who is also married to a resident but this board is great. It seems a lot of the members are older with kids (we don't have kids) but so far I've found they have great advice!

Welcome to the boards!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Hi and welcome!

My boyfriend is about to start his 2nd year, and he's older than most of his his classmates, as well. I'm glad things got straightened out with your teaching credentials--I would think that would make the coming year much better than the previous one, i.e., having something challenging to focus on.

Looking forward to reading more from you.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Welcome, Cherry! Glad you found this site -- it's been really wonderful for me. I'm Jill, wife of an ID fellow who went to med school in Chicago at Northwestern. I love Chicago! Where are you living? We are in DC now. You'll find people here from every stage of the medical process. I look forward to getting to know you.

Jill

Comment

Welcome Cherry,
          This website is great and I 'm convinced it has saved my marriage!!!! I am Luanne. I'm one of the "older" ones here. My husband is a Pulmonologist and I am an RN. We have two kids each, mine are 18 & 19 his are 17 & 20. I look forward to getting to know you.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Cherry - Welcome to the board!!! I am sure this year will be better now that you can focus some of your energy on teaching. It is so important to have your own goals and activities or else one can get consumed with the medical school/residency life.

I am Robin. My husband is a first year anesthesia resident. We just survived the internship year! We have four children ranging from 11 to 3 so I have a built in "hobby" to keep me busy! I am originally from Oregon but we did med school in Arizona and now we are in San Antonio for residency. We have no idea where we will end up but we would like to live somewhere in the west to be closer to family.

Again welcome ... I look forward to getting to know you better.

Robin

Comment

Hi Cherry,

Welcome to the boards and welcome to the midwest. I'm happy to hear that you got your teaching credentials all squared away. Congrats on the new job.

We're happy to have you join.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome! Its great to know that there are people I can turn to who are going through or have been through this situation.

Jill I am living in Lakeview near Wrigley Field. Chicago is really great in the summer! Though looking at Cheri's pictures did make me homesick. My husband is from Palo Alto.

Comment

Cherry, I'll trade you places - I would LOVE to be back in the midwest. My husband and I are hoping for St. Louis or Minnesota or Michigan next year!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have gotten seriously behind in welcoming new members! I am Sally, mom to three boys aged 8, 5, and almost 2, and wife to an OB/GYN two years out of residency currently doing his military payback time at an Air Force Base in north Texas. Two more years here and then we hope to head back to Indiana, which is home for us. We have been married almost 13 years, through all of med school and residency, so although my husband is no longer in training, I certainly have memories of those years and will sympathize whenever needed!

Welcome to you, and to any other new members reading this! I am so glad you are here and hope you will post often so we can get to know you better.

Sally
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                    X