Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

supporting burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supporting burnout

Hi,
    I am new to this group and my first time blogging. My husband and I have been married for 16 years. RD, my husband has been practicing Family Medicine for 12 years. He practices in a small rural clinic, 4 partners in total. He has struggled with depression over the years. However, over the past two years it has worsened. He is receiving therapy and has sought out a psychiatrist and has utilized several medications. He used to drink, not in excess, but that was not a good fit with depression. So now he has been a recovering alcoholic for almost 2 years, attends AA (not an easy feat as a healthcare provider in a rural area).

Work has been a constant battle. He (sees patients) 4 days a week 12-14 hour days, usually catching up 2 days/wk. In the past he had the energy to get up early, 3-4 am to keep the amount of work under control. He no longer has the energy for that so stays later in the day. We have 2 amazing children 8, 11. Recently, my oldest reported he "doesn't feel he knows dad". At times he can go 3-4 days without seeing the kids. This of course broke all of out hearts. We just keep thinking if you work smarted, it is going to get better.

So recently things have been a little rocky between us. Typically we are a united front. Usually we can pull each other up when we are down. We are also each others best friends. He reports being burned out. I really want to support him. I have for a very long time. I am exhausted by the chronic nature of the depression. I need additional support from others who have been here.

I look forward to joining this community.

Welcome, and big hugs to you! Wow - that is a really tough situation. We are still in training, so I really don't have any good advice for you, except to come here often. This is an amazing group of supportive, knowledgeable people, and it's such a relief to have a community who knows what things are really like as the spouse of a doctor.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Dittio ^^^^

Stay, vent, ask questions...it will help more than you know!
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Welcome!
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Welcome! This is a great community filled with spouses who have seen it all -- I hope this will give you the support you need!

Comment

Several of my family members have struggled with depression. Not my DH, but others to whom I am close. I know what it is like.

So glad you are here!

Comment

Welcome, fellow rural med peep! Wish I had some profound words of wisdom, but all I've got are

We speak your language around here. Hang in there and post often.

Comment

Welcome.

We have lots of members in the trenches. We look forward to hearing from you!

J.

Comment

Working...
                  X