Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Still trying to decide...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I've gotten great jobs (both in and outside of science) with a bachelors in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
    Ditto. Undergrad degree in Mol Bio.

But I agree that an undergrad degree of "pre-med" is probably more limiting.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth View Post
      What kind of job can you get with a premed degree is we don't move onto med school?
      Hi Beth, nice to meet you.
      Premed is more of a track in college than a particular major. Premeds may major in anything ranging from chemistry and biology to psychology or history. The key is that you need to take a proscribed list of courses during your undergrad years.
      So there are many, many careers open to people who go premed but decide not to pursue med school.
      In fact, I see tons of HS grads (I teach in HS) going premed, and then deciding somewhere during junior or senior year that it's not for them.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Beth - If you'd like info, feel free to PM me. While our situation wasn't identical, it's similar enough that I may be able to answer questions or point you in the right directions.

As you can probably tell, we're a varied and vocal group. But we're fiercely loyal to our peeps and would only steer someone away because hindsight makes some of us wish strangers had been so kind to us. The medical lifestyle kinda sucks for some and they would hope to save even complete strangers from their own craptastic experiences.

Welcome to the group. And the crapfest. We get the weirdness and speak your language around here. Promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
          There is some discussion previously in the thread and premed is an actual major at some schools, though at the majority of school it's a track like you mentioned.
          oops I did really mean to read the whole thread, but got sidetracked...
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I haven't read all of the posts to see how many others have suggested this, but given everything you've told us about your life situation... I would suggest he seriously look at either a nursing degree or Physician's Asst. There is terrific work out there for them right now, good job security, good growth - and pretty terrific pay. Obviously, it's not going to compare to many doctor salaries, but it also takes a mere fraction of the time to obtain the degree. And the lifestyle is better afterwards.
              Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

bump

Comment

Congratulations on going for it!!! Good for you guys!! Feel free to post often.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth View Post
                    **UPDATE** (3/24/12)
                    We are going for it! =) We feel very confident with our decision. We were just in Ohio for Spring Break and Ben met with a counselor at Cleveland State Univ. (He still needs his undergrad) Our house if for sale, so hopefully that wont take forever! We are going to live with my in-laws so I can work full-time. Ben said that along with meeting med school requirements, he could also apply for PA school following his undergrad.
                    I know that this site is a MEDICAL SN, so I will mostly be lurking! Hopefully you will hear more from me in about 5 years. Thank you for all of your suggestions, warnings and kind words back in October...one step at a time!
                    Welcome back, and good luck!!! Feel free to go ahead and participate - we talk about other stuff besides medical topics.
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Sending you my best wishes for the process ahead.
                      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Congratulations! Stick around and participate, now is when you need us!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                        X