Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hi everyone...A couple of people requested I start a thread to say hello, so...hello! I'm the SO of a third year EM resident and it's been quite an adventure so far. I have a background in communications and am back at school after a really long time. It's been such a challenge being in a relationship with someone in medicine but coming here is helping so much. Thank you for all your support and kindness!

Welcome! Are you going back to school full time? Looking forward to getting to know you!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Welcome! I can't imagine going back to school again. good luck with finals!
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
        good luck with finals!
        Best of luck. I always hated how finals and the holidays came at the same time! I did however love being a student - enjoy!

Comment

Welcome!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

How long have you been with your significant other? Are you going back to school to continue in communications or go a different route?
            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Welcome!
              Cristina
              IM PGY-2

Comment

Welcome!
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Welcome!

Being in grad school while being with a resident can be a total PITA. I hope you get through all your finals without too much stress and get to enjoy the holiday season!!
                  Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Hi!!
                    -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Hi there! I give you a world of credit for going to grad school during your SO's residency! I was starting my Masters during match (while working full time) and it was just too much. Glad you are here!

Comment

Is it really that bad?!? I am contemplating going back now (while working full time) because I figured that it would be easier now than during med school! Now I'm scared!
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I think it depends on what you are doing, your schedule, etc. I was cutting it reall close, leaving myself 30 minutes to get downtown for my classes, which got out nights after 10p and my employer also wasn't clued in that I was taking classes. And my job was an 8-7p typical schedule - so the conditions weren't ideal! I know regardless it's a lot of work - but I'm sure how stressful it is just comes down to circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                            Is it really that bad?!? I am contemplating going back now (while working full time) because I figured that it would be easier now than during med school! Now I'm scared!
                            I actually liked being in school better than working during DF's residency. I had a lot more control over my schedule, and when he was late I just used that time to study more so that I had more time later. The semesters that I interned or participated in clinics that were really demanding (and by demanding - I mean that my professors where terrible procrastinators and would throw huge assignments at you at the last minute... much too much like a regular job!), then I wasn't super thrilled with the situation. I think working and going to school would have certainly created serious schedule conflicts for us, but just going to school worked pretty well for me.

It was sort of annoying to live in a studio (although it was a pretty big studio) during that time. He usually went to bed while I was still working... with a light on. I finally got used to waking up really early to do work instead of staying up late (there were less distractions, but I wasn't a morning person). And I was totally exhausted when he was on a service that was heavy on overnight pages (I became very used to wearing ear plugs!). By his 6th year, he had some control over when he was on one service or another, so he tried to schedule less demanding services when I was going to be really busy (less pages and more time to help with dinner etc). I assume you will have quite a few late nights if you're doing both, and your weekends will probably be pretty hectic (but I think you said your SO was studying a lot right now, so maybe that wouldn't be an issue).

I think working full time and going to school would be very stressful no matter when you did it. If you have a job right now that you think would leave time for it, then I say go for it... (I don't think I've ever had a job that was flexible enough to make it feasible, so I personally never seriously considered it).

Comment

Scheduling conflicts don't really phase me. We never see each other. Whatever, that's fine. My job would have some flexibility, so it would be a wee bit easier. Not that doing both will ever be easy!

I would never stop working. I like money, and not having it is not an option. The poor grad student life is not for me.
                              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Working...
                              X