Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm new, need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new, need advice!

Hi! Just found this board and could use a little advice too....

My dh of 5 years is *hopefully* going to start med school next fall. I say hopefully because he's not accepted anywhere yet but it looks like that will probably happen.
    I am a total stress case over this. I just don't know how it will all be possible, mostly from a financial standpoint. Right now I SAH with 2 kids- a newborn and a 3 yr old and he makes a comfortable salary with benefits, etc.... I could work but I'm not sure I could make much $$ to cover the day care and other expenses to make that worthwhile.
    I'm sure there are people who have done this before. Living simply does not scare me, but I do worry about how we will have enough $$ for a simple apartment, car payment, food, etc.... Also, how do we get health insurance? I have looked for information like this on the internet, like stuff about student loans, but have been unable to find some comprehensive info about it. Anyone have any websites or any info they could share?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the boards! At my DH's school most married couples don't have the second spouse work and that is because the school has told them not to. They're told that if the second spouse works that will decrease their financial aid and make living even harder. So most just have a lot of loans and the wife/husband stays home. As far as health insurance, the school does offer it for students and their families but it is just something else you have to pay for.

Good luck and welcome, again!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Another way that a lot of med students with families handle expenses is to join the military......there are plenty of people around here that have taken this route and would be happy to answer your questions about this if you want to know more.

Welcome, by the way! My name is Sally, and my signature will tell you everything else there is to know about me. I hope you will find answers and support here.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and...

Thanks for the welcome and the info.
        Actually we are considering the military. Our top three schools are the two state schools where we are and USUHS. We had been going back and forth between civilian v. military, but then we figured that we may as well wait and see IF he actually gets into those schools, then decide....LOL. Also, he is applying for HPSP, but if he goes to a state school, then we likely won't take that route.
        Currently, he is in his 6th year of active duty, O-3 in the Navy (Lt), so we know all about the military life. While it has been an honor to serve our country as a military family, it might be time for a change. Ya know? He somewhat recently returned from a 7 month deployment (his second westpac), so when I think about GMO....I think BLEH! I know that would be a ways off, but the separation sucks. Also, I'd like to live where I want to live. On the other hand, there are some definite benefits to military....steady income, housing, benefits.....yada yada. So, I guess you could say that I'm torn about it.
        Anyway, thanks for listening!

Comment

Would he be able to switch branches of service? (Would he want to?)

I know things are somewhat different in the Navy. My husband did HPSP (Air Force) and has gone straight through residency (active duty in San Antonio) and 2 1/4 years of payback so far without a deployment or extended time away from home....we are knocking on wood that this will continue for the rest of the time we owe! Anyway, GMO (called flight surgeon in the AF) is not mandatory in the Air Force or Army as far as I know, although it sometimes happens when the specialty a person wants for residency is not available the year they are ready to start, so they do GMO/flight surgery time until a slot becomes available, and it subtracts from their payback time on the other end.

Anyway, keep us posted with what you guys decide!

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Hello!

I'm Jenn, the Army spouse representative (??!!). My husband went to USUHS and GMO is not a requirement of the Army. A few people we know went that route (not USUHS grads) to ensure they got the residency they wanted but really- pretty much everyone at USUHS got what they wanted anyway.

If he does get into USUHS, if he's at all considering switching services, tell him to do it at the onset- we had several friends switch after they married other USUHS students so that they could match services and boy what a huge pain it was. The Navy did not want to let go! (nine times out of ten it was people leaving the Navy to go Army or Air Force, not vice versa)

Welcome and Good luck!

Jenn

Comment

Welcome to the group. I am Luanne, I have absolutely no knowledge about the military, but lots of people here do.
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
              X