Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hello from sunny Phoenix, AZ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from sunny Phoenix, AZ!

Hello all!

First let me say that I can't believe I didn't find this website until almost a solid year into DH's residency.

DH and I moved from Venezuela where we met, to the USA a few years ago. After ECFMG certification (aka "your worst nightmare") steps, applications and interviews, he was offered a pre-match. Shortly after, we piled all of our belongings into our two small cars, packed up our two kittens and trekked all the way across the country from the Appalachian mountains of North Carolina to sunny Phoenix, AZ. Did I mention we camped along the way? Yes, for three long weeks we pitched tents, built campfires and occasionally stopped to visit family members in various states. It was quite an adventure (and our cats are now exceptionally well travelled).

As we all know, being the spouse of a physician can be quite lonely at times, especially considering the fact that I work from home. DH is now finishing his first year as an IM resident. When we moved, we had only been here twice between the two of us. We knew absolutely no one within a 17 hour radius, so it was a bit of a shock. Fortunately, Phoenix is an AMAZING city and we're loving it, despite the 120 degree summers. I'm excited to have found this forum and looking forward to perhaps connecting with other Phoenician medical spouses!

Cheers,
    Lexi
    Freeing worms from cans since 1983.

Welcome! I work from home too, and I know it can be pretty isolating to spend all day at home, in a new city, with no one but your cats to keep you company. Glad you found us!
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Welcome! What an adventure! I didn't find this site until residency either. It's a great resource and support site!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Welcome!! Wow - what an adventure you've had!
        Can't wait to get to know you better. Been here a while since my DH was a second year in residency and now we are going into 6 yrs out of training. I thank this forum for keeping me sane and out of prison for there have been times I have wanted to strangle my husband.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome!
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

welcome!
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Welcome!!
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Welcome aboard. We're slightly more reliable than Carnival cruise lines.
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                    Welcome aboard. We're slightly more reliable than Carnival cruise lines.
                    Heehee

Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Welcome
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Welcome!!
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We're going through the ECFMG certification and up this year for the 2014 Match. My dh is from Egypt. There's a couple FMG/IMGs on here in the States. Sounds like an amazing experience you've had! Glad you found us and I hope you stick around and post often.
                          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Bienvenida! Nosotros en segundo año. I'm assuming you speak Spanish lol. Phoenician sounds Mediterranean but I know what you mean. That is quite an adventure! Glad you found the site, it helps to know others who are going through it and especially those who made it, they give us hope!

Comment

DH is also IMG, also IM, and we have 2 cats. We also moved all our stuff across the country practically from one border to the opposite where we didn't know anyone. It was hard and kinda depressing but things are better.

Comment

Working...
                              X