Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

(Almost) Survived Medical Training and lived to tell the story!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Almost) Survived Medical Training and lived to tell the story!!

Hi All,

I used to frequent this group when my (not quite at the time) DH was in medical school. Its been oh let's see...about 6 years since I have really checked this site out but thought I needed to reconnect. Whether it be to share my thoughts on all your questions or to get support for my next (and terrifying) adventures as a staff wife.

I am married to an interventional radiology fellow (for one more month that is...) and I am a stay at home mom to an energetic and lovable 5 year old little boy, and an independent and strong willed 3 year old little girl. I am from Northern NY originally but am currently living in my 4th state in the past 5 years (soon to be 5th state!)

Quick synopsis of training thus far...
    DH did 4 years at University at Buffalo in NY. Matched for radiology. (It was a toss up between that and neurosurgery!!) Moved to La Crosse WI for tranisitional year for one year. Son was due to be born July 4th of our intern year, but he waited 13 days after beginning that year (just so our moving truck would get delivered and so I could unpack first). Crazy crazy crazy. Moved to Rochester MN for 4 years of radiology at Mayo. Where we were blessed with a daughter. Now we are actually about to complete our interventional radiology fellowship at Dartmouth in Lebanon NH. In one month we will pack up and move back to the midwest to an itty bitty town in southwestern Indiana (Vincennes) to become the very first IR doctor in the hospital.

So, I am happy to report you can survive this training. 10 years later and I am living proof!! NOW do you want to know my biggest fear?? How will I ever manage to survive in a small town as a physicians wife? The stigma one gets when they are in a physician family is not like any other profession. I am terrified. All this time I have been completely surrounded by other resident or fellow wives in our other towns, and I could hide behind the fact that he was in training.

Anyways, thats a little about me. Can't wait to meet you all!!
    Domestic engineer and CEO of Camp Crazy. Wife to an interventional radiologist, Mother to a 5 year old super hero and a 3 year old CEO in training.

I think I remember your story about the move and having your firstbaby. Glad to have you back. Congrats on your babies and the new job!!
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Don't worry about being in a small town. We used to be in a mid-sized IN city and moved to a CRAZY isolated, rural, tiny, West Coast community. It doesn't suck. People are typically pretty nice and love telling you exactly how they know your DH.

Welcome back!

Comment

Welcome back!
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Hey - I know you!

Welcome (back)!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Its good to be back. Glad to see you are still here Cheri.
            Domestic engineer and CEO of Camp Crazy. Wife to an interventional radiologist, Mother to a 5 year old super hero and a 3 year old CEO in training.

Comment

Thanks!! It didn't kill me and I am indeed stronger. aren't we all!?!?

Comment

Thanks! I love your signature.

Comment

I live in La Crosse!!! Hi there!
                  Kris

Comment

Thanks!! Looking forward to catching up with everyone!!

Comment

congrats. i could never do that. i told my dw, she need to stay in a major city where there's IT jobs. she apply only those major northeastern cities.

Comment

Welcome back! The transition into a new community never does get any easier, does it? Glad your back with us.
                        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I'm new since you've returned...tell me more. DH wants to match in Radiology next year and might be interested in IR. I'd love to hear about the job search--we are hearing lots of scary stuff lately. How did he like his residency program? (if you don't want to share on the public boards, I understand)
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Dh is in rads. Hoping to do ped interventional. We interviewed in Lebanon. Neat place, just way too cold for me.
                            Brandi
                            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                              X