Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New to all this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to all this

Hi, I'm Keri and my husband recently (within the past year) decided to pursue his dream of becoming a doctor. He is currently in graduate school and will be applying to med school next year. I found this forum and was hoping that I could learn what to expect from more experienced people! And I'm also clueless as to the whole process so hopefully I can learn something too :P
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Welcome, you will be so glad you found us early in the process of the medical journey.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome! I also first found this forum before my husband had gotten accepted to med school.

This article is a decent high-level overview of the process. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical..._United_States If you follow the link to the article about Residency, there's a link to a detailed article about "the match" (the process of matching into a residency program as a 4th year med student): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...tching_Program That's probably the most confusing part of the process to people not already immersed in it.

Feel free to ask ANY questions you have; I know it's hard to even know what to ask at this early stage, but we're here to answer, and to help you set your expectations and give you some perspective on the range of experience of being a medical spouse. Does your husband have an idea of what specialty he's interested in, or does he just know he wants to be a doctor? Is this a second career for him (it is for my husband!)? Is he planning to take the MCAT next spring, or has he already taken it?
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Welcome! You'll be so glad you found this early! As stated before, don't be afraid to ask questions. We have someone here that will relate to any experience or feeling you might be having.
        Last edited by L.Jane; 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome!
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Welcome to the bunch! How exciting for your husband and you to be embarking on this journey together! Post often and ask away - there is a wealth of knowledge here at your fingertips.
              wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Thanks ladies!

Originally posted by poky View Post
                Welcome! I also first found this forum before my husband had gotten accepted to med school.

This article is a decent high-level overview of the process. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical..._United_States If you follow the link to the article about Residency, there's a link to a detailed article about "the match" (the process of matching into a residency program as a 4th year med student): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...tching_Program That's probably the most confusing part of the process to people not already immersed in it.

Feel free to ask ANY questions you have; I know it's hard to even know what to ask at this early stage, but we're here to answer, and to help you set your expectations and give you some perspective on the range of experience of being a medical spouse. Does your husband have an idea of what specialty he's interested in, or does he just know he wants to be a doctor? Is this a second career for him (it is for my husband!)? Is he planning to take the MCAT next spring, or has he already taken it?

His thoughts right now are that he wants to be an orthopedic surgeon. This isn't really a second career per se. He was in the Army for the past four years but decided last year that he didn't want to continue down that path. He has wanted to become a surgeon for a long time so he decided to go for it. He took the MCAT in college but, unfortunately, its too old now so he'll be retaking it this spring and then apparently taking it again next year because of the change in format. ????? I don't know, something like that. He got a good score when he took it in college so hopefully he can do the same again!
                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Is he planning on using any test prep courses for studying the MCAT?

Comment

i would recommend a test prep. it's worth the 1200 even if it can increase the score by 1 point.. now whether the journey to becoming a doctor is worth it or not-- that's a question should say answer. i highly recommend faking the answer until you believe it because you'll be asking yourself that question again and again..

Comment

Welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you! Post often, and feel free to ask questions if we're talking about something new to you. This site is a huge wealth of information and support.
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm happy and sorry to have you. Ortho??? Ugh. Here's where I tell you to run away while you still have a chance!!! Save yourselves!!!

I'd rather try to survive a zombie apocalypse than go through residency. It is worse than that bad.

Welcome. I consider it my job to try to talk you out of medicine entirely and definitely ortho at the very least. It's a public service I perform. But, as long as you're here, pull up a chair and ask away.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                          Welcome. I consider it my job to try to talk you out of medicine entirely and definitely ortho at the very least. It's a public service I perform. But, as long as you're here, pull up a chair and ask away.
                          I work for an Ortho and it is a grueling specialty. Good luck with the process.
                          Kris

Comment

Welcome! I'll say two things - if he thinks he can be happy doing anything else, he should go for that. As bad as residency gets, DH has never said, "I should have been a (different specialty). Ortho residency is just too much to handle unless it's the only thing you could ever picture yourself doing.

Secondly, he's still super early in the process, so I would encourage him to keep an open mind when exposed to other specialities.

Good luck!!

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                            Jen
                            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                              Secondly, he's still super early in the process, so I would encourage him to keep an open mind when exposed to other specialities.
                              Definitely very true! My DH entered and exited med school with very different ideas about what he wanted to do. He's thrilled with his choice but definitely needed to try things out before he knew. He doesn't have to know now though! You guys are in the early part of the journey! It'll be a wild ride but there's a lot of advice here!
                              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X