Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

new to site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to site

Hello,

My husband is in his seventh year of surgery training and after this year, we will embark on a two year fellowship. We have one daughter -- 15 months -- and I have chosen to stay at home with her instead of continue my career. I feel like I have something to offer this group and am looking forward to learning from this site and the people who offer their thoughts. I didn't know anything like this existed until about six months ago and I think it's a great idea. This life can really knock the wind out of you at times....
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Welcome to the site! Can I ask what surgery specialty your husband is doing? There is tons of information here and a great group of people! Welcome!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Flynn,

Welcome aboard! After surviving 7 years of a surgical residency I have no doubt that you will be a great help to many people here!!! My husband finished his ID fellowship two years ago....so we are finally out in the 'real' world. We just had baby #4 (our post-training baby ).

I'm also curious about what kind of fellowship your dh is applying for.....you are a brave woman!!!!

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My husband matched in CT for two more years. It's what he has always wanted to do however, now that we are parents, he wonders if we should have made different choices along the way.

There is a way to make money, be professionally fulfilled, and have a great family/personal life in medicine, but it can be challenging to say the least. I have fantasies of my husband going into opthamology....ha ha.
        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Flynn,

Welcome fellow surgery spouse! Let me extend my heartiest congratulations and condolences on the upcoming CT fellowship. We are PGY4 in a 7-8 year gen surgery residency with plans to do a fun-filled pediatric fellowship after training. Yup, we second guess our decisions all the time, like when we see all of DH's med school classmates in other specialities finishing 5 to 6 years ahead of us. Ah, the joys and tribulations of surgery.

Anyway, welcome to the boards! I can already tell that you are not of the faint of heart with all that you've been through.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome. My dh is on the other side of the room of your spouse- he is anesthesia.

I notice that you are in Seattle. I am as well. Matt is in yr 2 of 3 at the UW. We have a 2 yr. daughter and a 5 mos old son.

Again, welcome- there are a bunch of nice people here.

Crystal
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Welcome to the boards. This is a great community of people. I'm Jill; my husband is a first-year ID fellow. My best friend is engaged to a surgery intern and is preparing herself for many more years of training.

Again, welcome and post often!

Comment

Welcome to the boards! I am sorry to chime in so late. I am sure you have a wealth of experiences to draw on that will be helpful to all of us here. I look forward to getting to know you better through your posts!

Sally
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Welcome,
                  Yes it can knock the wind out of your sails!!!! Sounds like you have alreay been through alot. I look forward to getting to know you.
                  Luanne
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                  X