Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hi everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate football so can I stay, please?

We don't have a definite wedding date yet but we're looking at July next year. We've found the perfect venue so it's just getting it booked!

CT3... OK can I admit that after all this time I still don't fully understand how it all works? Haha. After graduating, newly qualified medics over here start training in different specialities (they have to work in posts in anaesthetics, paediatrics, surgery and general practice). It's called the Foundation Programme and lasts for two years. After that they train in a particular speciality (so in our case Psychiatry). So he's a CT3 (Core Training 3, his third year in Psychiatry). After he has passed all the necessary exams he could then go on to become a Consultant Psychiatrist (something at the moment he doesn't think he wants to do). I have probably got that a bit muddled so I hope that makes sense!

Medicine is tough! I do get tired of everyone thinking we have lots of money and no worries. Sometimes it feels like it is nothing but worry! I am sure it will all be worth it in the end though!

It is good to find people who understand

Comment

Interesting. I need to read up on UK medical training. It's all a giant cluster of hell.

Welcome! We're happy you're here!
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I was on a Facebook group for a while which was predominantly American doctor's wives so learnt a little bit about Medical training in the US from there and that sounded tough! We're lucky that we have only had to move once. It seems you guys over the pond (medical spouses) have to move around a bit? I think I would find that hard!

Comment

Hi from Scotland!

We certainly had to move around a lot, every 6 months in fact but that was back in '99. Don't miss it at all!

Dave
          Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kandt View Post
            I was on a Facebook group for a while which was predominantly American doctor's wives so learnt a little bit about Medical training in the US from there and that sounded tough! We're lucky that we have only had to move once. It seems you guys over the pond (medical spouses) have to move around a bit? I think I would find that hard!
            We're one of the rare cases -- we never moved. We bought a house 3 miles from my mom just a couple off months before med school started and have stayed in place for all the training years and the Job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Welcome!! Looking forward to getting to know you!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Welcome from this side of the pond.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome!
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Welcome!! Did you see we have recently started a book club? I'm still waiting for my copy from the library so there's still time to join in on this month.

If your fiance doesn't want to become a Consultant Psychiatrist, what does he want to do? I have no idea how the medical system works over there; when we thought we might be losing The Job last year, I briefly looked into moving to the UK for a year but got scared and ran away.

Comment

Welcome!
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes everyone

He doesn't want to become a psychiatrist because he feels as though it isn't as "hands on" as being a regular doctor. The consultants he works with seem to mainly be doing paper work at the moment and he says he'd prefer to be seeing actual patients. He said he'd like to wait and see though, he could change his mind. Otherwise he will just be a regular doctor with a lower wage.

I sometimes think about running away from the UK, ha.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                          Welcome, kandt! Brits always welcome...unless you're a Man utd fan. Kidding!!!
                          Dem's fightin words -- glory glory man united!!

Welcome to the boards kandt!
                          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Welcome! I'm Irish but living across the pond now. If it weren't for the lack of consultant jobs, we'd probably still be there.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                            X