Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hello from Cleveland! - New Meetup group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Cleveland! - New Meetup group

Hello!

Recently engaged, I am moving with my fiance from Seattle, WA to Cleveland, OH at the end of this month as he starts medical school at Case Western.

I am interested in connecting and making friends with other wives, girlfriends and fiancees at Case Western Medical School. I have created the following Meetup group. Feel free to pass along.

http://www.meetup.com/FutureDoctorsWives/
    Wife of PGY-2 Gen Surg, gluten/dairy free cook and patron to a big black cat

Hi and welcome! FYI, the school is "Case" or "Case Western Reserve" or "CWRU". You'll get the lingo. My husband is a CWRU grad and a Seattle native, and we were engaged just as he started med school (we got married the summer after MS-1)...so many memories! Congrats and good luck!

Welcome to the board, and I hope you'll stay and participate.
    Alison

Comment

Feel free to connect with those of us that aren't in Cleveland too. We're pretty damned awesome as well. We speak this lifestyle and someone's been where you are, physically and emotionally, and has been where you're going.

I'm Heidi. I've been a part of the board forevah, and am lucky enough to count some of these peeps as my BFFs. I hope you'll find that here too.

Glad to have you. Post often!
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Hey there! My husband did his fellowship at UH in Cleveland and I worked at Case many moons ago. I think there is some sort of spouse group there. I know UH had one for residents and fellows. Good luck with the move.
        Needs

Comment

My husband is also a recent Case grad (3 years ago). There wasn't a med spouse group when I was there but I found Cleveland to be a very affordable and friendly city. Also, buy a coat...it's cold! But summer is super fun there.

Highly recommend living close by to Case. My husband walked to school and on rotations and the grocery store and one of the main bar areas (Coventry) is walkable from there.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Welcome! Never been where you are going but did marry DH two weeks before med school started after dating for 4 years. So, I know the feeling of picking up and leaving your home, work, friends, life, etc. to move for med school. Now, we have been out 8 years (since fellowship) in the real world. Post often! Been here since DH was a second year resident and thank this board for keeping me either out of the insane asylum or prison (from strangling DH).
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Welcome, and congratulations! I have no experience with Seattle or Cleveland, but hubby and I got married not too long before he started med school and then relocated. Good luck with everything - hope you'll stick around!
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Hello from Cleveland! - New Meetup group

Welcome! How great that you took the initiative to start a meet up group! I hope you'll stick around - we're starting third year and I can tell you this place has become invaluable. I was shocked and disappointed to learn just how few of my husband's classmates were married or engaged...I desperately hoped to connect to other wives sharing this experience but I've much of my solace and support here. Post often, when everyone above me says "we get it" you have no idea how true that is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by WolfpackWife; 06-10-2014, 06:43 PM.
                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Well, hello!

I grew up in Seattle, and my husband graduated from the CCLCM program (part of Case medical school at the Cleveland Clinic) two years ago. He's now in Emergency Medicine residency at Metro and the Cleveland Clinic. We live in University Heights; where are you guys?

There was a lady with the counseling center at Case whose husband is an attending and a med school dean, who would host a few get-togethers for medical school spouses at the beginning of each school year while my DH was in med school here...it allowed spouses and SOs to get to know each other; she might still be doing it. I can try to find out, if you're interested. I think they were in August/Sept/Oct. each year.

If you knit, or would like to learn, and want to get to know some neat non-medical people, I'd be happy to invite you to the knitting group I hang out with, too. We meet a couple times a week near Cedar/Lee in Cleveland Heights...which I see you're already familiar with, based on your first scheduled meetup.
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Welcome! No affiliation with Case here but just wanted to say hello

Comment

Welcome! We live in the Cleveland suburbs. My husband is an attending, working 1/2 time clinically and 1/2 time as a national EMS director for EmCare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Hey there. Also in Cleveland burbs. My DH is an attending at the Clinic. I'm old....46!...but young at heart. One kid in high school and one off to college in the Fall.

We've been here for a decade now, after undergrad in NYC, med school in Philly, residency in Baltimore and fellowship in Boston.

Angie
                        Angie
                        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Welcome! In the Midwest too ( is Cleveland considered Midwest?) But further north and west! Welcome to the forum it's a fun group

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you all for your introductions and Cleveland tips. The main question I have is how do you deal with all the moving? I am from Seattle, went to college and stayed after for 2 years in Colorado and then choose to move back home to Seattle 2.5 years ago. So I've already lived another place and know I like Seattle. My fiance has not lived anywhere but Seattle so I think the move will be good for him. But the possibility of living 3 or 4 places in the next 10 years just sounds like a lot of work! Figuring everything out about the city, meeting new people and such. I know there are good things about it, when else do you get an opportunity to experience so many things? We will probably live in one place after that so an adventure in the mean time? I just like living around our families. Any tips?

Comment

Thank you. Yes, we are looking forward to the affordability coming from Seattle! Lol, yes I look forward to buying a nice, warm coat And yes again, we are going to live by campus. We also want walkability.

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                              My husband is also a recent Case grad (3 years ago). There wasn't a med spouse group when I was there but I found Cleveland to be a very affordable and friendly city. Also, buy a coat...it's cold! But summer is super fun there.

Highly recommend living close by to Case. My husband walked to school and on rotations and the grocery store and one of the main bar areas (Coventry) is walkable from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X