Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I feel like I am the only one....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like I am the only one....

Hello,

I am the wife of a plastic surgery fellow and I am so glad I found a place that has people going through similiar situations. I have been with my husband through 6 yrs. of general surgery and 1 yr. of plastics where he is getting ready to leave for 3 months to do a rotation 200 miles away...I feel like such a complainer but I am SO SO SO tired of being in residency. I am sick of being broke, being a nomad, and of spending almost every holiday and weekend alone.

It is so hard for me to express these things to my friends and family because they don't understand. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person married to a physician that feels this way, am I?

I am now done complaining. I love my husband and admire that he is doing what he loves. We have two great dogs and a great cat without whom I would go officially bonkers.

Let me first welcome you to the site!! It is such a breath of fresh air to come here and be able to feel like you are finally surrounded by people who know exaclty how you feel.
    Let me also be the first to let you know that YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE who feels lonely, tired, frustrated, and every other emotion under the sun that your friends and family have no idea how to understand! As I write this, it is now 9:00 on a saturday night, and yes, I am ALONE (AGIAN!). I envy you in some ways, however, you are almost done with the whole residency thing, and we have YET to BEGIN 8O . We had twins two years ago, and that both helped and made it harder. At least I am now too busy with them to sit and talk to the walls... but on the down side, it seems like I feel the loneliness even moreso when I am the only one to feed, change, read to, play with, clean, and do all of the other thousand things that have to do with parenting.
    I, like you, love my husband completely and am so glad that he is doing something that he loves. It would just be nice every once in a while if they would realize that in order for them to do something that they love, you are having to do 101 things (or MORE) that you DON'T love, or even like, for that matter! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have my hubby quit or change to something that he hates just to make my stress go away... all I'm saying is that a little acknowledgement does wonders for the stress and strain that you go through "behind the scenes" to help make his dreams come true.
    Sorry - I'm kind of going off at the mouth, but I just want you to know that you are most certainly NOT in this alone! There are so many icredible men and women on this site who are quick to help with advice, questions, or just helping you get through dh's 180 hour work weeks! So pop some popcorn, pull up a chair, and enjoy your stay at Medical Spouse.com!
    I hope you have a great night!
    Jen B.

Comment

Welcome,
      You have found survival!!!!!!!!! I look forward to getting to know you.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks for the support!

Thank you for the kind words of support. You are right, we are almost done, but sometimes I think it will never end.

I admire anyone who has kids in residency, I knew lots who did. We chose to wait because we could afford any! I am looking forward to having a baby and being settled in one place.

I also forgot to mention during my complaining rampage earlier that I actually do something OTHER than complain I have another job as a pharmaceutical rep.

I have enjoyed reading some of the posts and look forward to hearing what people have to say about being a residency widow

Comment

You are not alone and being frustrated with your situation is COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE. Further, I think that spouses (married to docs) who say everything is peachy all the time are lying sacks of #$@%!!!!!

Post frequently and vent on issues both big and small. This a great resource.

WELCOME!!!!!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
            Further, I think that spouses (married to docs) who say everything is peachy all the time are lying sacks of #$@%!!!!!
            Either that or they're nipping at the drug rep samples...

Welcome to the board! You're in good company here. There's always at least one of us that can relate to every thing you're feeling.

Comment

Um...I live for the people on this website who "get real" about the demands of residency. You are *so* not alone. We do have a member who checks in every couple of months whose hubby is currently seeks a plastics fellowship named Adrienne and there are several of us long termers in regards to residency. I hope that you have found a place that you can call home.

Welcome aboard.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
              X