Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Medical Spouse-to-be Introduction and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Spouse-to-be Introduction and a question

Hello all.

I am Angela and I am engaged to a FP Physician who lives in Las Vegas. I live in Washington State so right now, we are doing the long distance thing.

We are in a bit of a different situation, and I will try and explain it the best I can... if anyone can tell me if what I think is correct is, or isn't, let me know!

Ed got his degree in the PHillipinnes (he is an American, which really doesn't make a difference) and was a practicing physician there. He came over to the states and is currently working as a (limited license) staff physician in Vegas while he waits to take his step three which is in August, I believe. After that he wants to pursue a fellowship in Obstetrics.

My question along with my introduction is this: We are trying to decide on a wedding date. I am concerned about the stress level prior to the Step Three. I have told him that whatever will decrease the stress level is what we will do. If he would be less stressed being married, we will get married soon. If he would be more stressed being married, we will wait.

Part of what would add to his stress level is the fact that when we are married, we will have five children between the two of us and no matter when we are married, I won't move my kids prior to the end of the school year. So, the earliest we could move would be July which, would be the month just prior to the Step Three.

I really hate having to make him make the decision but since this is his career, I think he needs to do that. Do any of you have any ideas, comments or concerns about any of the above? I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks

Angela Combs (Soon to be Terrell)

Hi Angela, and welcome. I am an engineer, married to a soon-to-be 3rd-year urology resident at the Univ of Michigan. I don't have any good advice for you, since my husband is also taking Step 3 soon (June). From what I can tell, it seems like it is the least stressful of the board exams (this is based on his level of 'freaked-out-ness', which right now is virtually nil). He just told me the other day that he's not going to worry about it too much. Of course, this could change in the weeks leading up to the exam. I just wanted to say "hi" and welcome you to the site, this is a great place that I believe has saved my sanity.

BTW, congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and good luck with the blending of families!
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Welcome to the site!

I really haven't any advice either, just wanted to let you know that you are always welcome here! You will find many in similar situations, feel free to post often. We look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

I don't know exactly what your financial situation is but there is the possibility of more aid if the two of you are married before he goes into more training. I don't know much about the "step three" stuff ... newbie here ... but we decided to get married before he applied to any medical schools and more financial aid was a factor in that.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X