Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm baaaaack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm baaaaack

Hi all -

I was here a number of years ago as my husband was finishing up his anesthesia residency, my former username was Ms.Conception - I started the SUPER busy "Today..." thread! I couldn't remember my log in information and was locked out of the forums and couldn't find the password reset - so I started a new account. I will post frequently and wait patiently to get into the fun forums

Three + years later and here I am!
    So much has happened.

So to recap - I am a Canadian medical spouse - my husband has done a 5yr anesthesia residency, a 1yr anesthesia simulation medicine Fellowship and then went on to do a 2 year Critical care fellowship, to which he has finished now and is an attending, with a great, permanent contract in two large teaching hospitals.

I have five children - in 2013 my eldest, who had a series of very complicated congenital heart defects (HLHS, TGA, VSD/ASD +++++) as well as a rare neurodegenerative disease, died suddenly after complications from the flu. I was 36 weeks pregnant with our fifth baby - she was born almost one month to the day that he died and that year was incredibly difficult. We are doing very well now - and have a happy, sweet little 2yr old who reminds us so much of her older brother. We have three children in between those two - 13, 7 and 6.

I am a stay at home mom - I sit on an advisory council for the Canadian Virtual Hospice and have a deep passion for pediatric palliative and hospice care and intend to return to work in this field in a few years when my youngest is in school.

What else can I say - I love to travel, garden, cook, read, run, listen to podcasts, and dream big. I hope everyone here is well - and for those who are in the thick of it - feeling alone - there is an end to the training and even though it can feel overwhelming and stressful as a medical spouse, you too are doing a very important job. Do not forget it. <3

I'm baaaaack

Welcome back! The anesthesia spouse cohort keeps growing, I love it!
    Last edited by scrub-jay; 08-10-2015, 08:44 AM.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by adoe.adeer View Post
      Hi all -

I was here a number of years ago as my husband was finishing up his anesthesia residency, my former username was Ms.Conception - I started the SUPER busy "Today..." thread! I couldn't remember my log in information and was locked out of the forums and couldn't find the password reset - so I started a new account. I will post frequently and wait patiently to get into the fun forums

Three + years later and here I am!
      So much has happened.

So to recap - I am a Canadian medical spouse - my husband has done a 5yr anesthesia residency, a 1yr anesthesia simulation medicine Fellowship and then went on to do a 2 year Critical care fellowship, to which he has finished now and is an attending, with a great, permanent contract in two large teaching hospitals.

I have five children - in 2013 my eldest, who had a series of very complicated congenital heart defects (HLHS, TGA, VSD/ASD +++++) as well as a rare neurodegenerative disease, died suddenly after complications from the flu. I was 36 weeks pregnant with our fifth baby - she was born almost one month to the day that he died and that year was incredibly difficult. We are doing very well now - and have a happy, sweet little 2yr old who reminds us so much of her older brother. We have three children in between those two - 13, 7 and 6.

I am a stay at home mom - I sit on an advisory council for the Canadian Virtual Hospice and have a deep passion for pediatric palliative and hospice care and intend to return to work in this field in a few years when my youngest is in school.

What else can I say - I love to travel, garden, cook, read, run, listen to podcasts, and dream big. I hope everyone here is well - and for those who are in the thick of it - feeling alone - there is an end to the training and even though it can feel overwhelming and stressful as a medical spouse, you too are doing a very important job. Do not forget it. <3
      Welcome back, I am new to the site but already value your time here in the few posts we've shared! Sounds like you have been through it all and I commend you for staying strong and sticking to it. You are certainly a role model for younger/newbies to medical school/training like myself! So thank you for that! I hope we will talk much more in the future as we both continue down this road. I feel like I need all the help I can get at this point!

I also love to read, do you have any favorite books or recommendations! I love how I am able to put myself in a place far away from where I am and think about nothing else but the characters and their stories. It really is therapeutic for me and I think I will find myself reading even more than I already do if that is even possible! I, too, love cooking and especially enjoy baking! If only I could eat cupcakes and cookies and pies without knowing I'd gain 10lbs!
      Paramedic and dog lover, girlfriend to an MS1, here to find friends and support during this journey

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnea View Post
        Welcome back, I am new to the site but already value your time here in the few posts we've shared! Sounds like you have been through it all and I commend you for staying strong and sticking to it. You are certainly a role model for younger/newbies to medical school/training like myself! So thank you for that! I hope we will talk much more in the future as we both continue down this road. I feel like I need all the help I can get at this point!

I also love to read, do you have any favorite books or recommendations! I love how I am able to put myself in a place far away from where I am and think about nothing else but the characters and their stories. It really is therapeutic for me and I think I will find myself reading even more than I already do if that is even possible! I, too, love cooking and especially enjoy baking! If only I could eat cupcakes and cookies and pies without knowing I'd gain 10lbs!

Oooh what do you like to read? I am a voracious reader and will read just about anything - my favourite recent reads are biographies - and I loved A House in the Sky. I am currently reading the Emperor of All Maladies and am almost done, and am rereading the Kite Runner which is just about one of my favourite books. I love David Sedaris when i'm having a bad day - Chelsea Handler for when i'm drinking on a beach.

Do you listen to podcasts? I have so little time to read nowadays with the kids home for summer, but I do podcasts every night while I clean up. The Moth, Serial (followed by Undisclosed), This American Life, Criminal, Radiolab, Wiretap, The Longest Shortest Time, Invisiblia... It's like listening to an audiobook... but shorter.

You guys will get through. Don't be afraid, but do live in the moment. My husband was 27 when he decided to return and do a BSc and then Medicine - he's 43 now and is just finished. 17 years but it's all worth it now.

Comment

Oooh what do you like to read? I am a voracious reader and will read just about anything - my favourite recent reads are biographies - and I loved A House in the Sky. I am currently reading the Emperor of All Maladies and am almost done, and am rereading the Kite Runner which is just about one of my favourite books. I love David Sedaris when i'm having a bad day - Chelsea Handler for when i'm drinking on a beach.

Do you listen to podcasts? I have so little time to read nowadays with the kids home for summer, but I do podcasts every night while I clean up. The Moth, Serial (followed by Undisclosed), This American Life, Criminal, Radiolab, Wiretap, The Longest Shortest Time, Invisiblia... It's like listening to an audiobook... but shorter.

You guys will get through. Don't be afraid, but do live in the moment. My husband was 27 when he decided to return and do a BSc and then Medicine - he's 43 now and is just finished. 17 years but it's all worth it now.
          I haven't tried podcasts as of yet, but that is something I wouldn't mind looking into sometime! As for books, I'd love to look into those authors, I'm not familiar with them. I find myself a hopeless romantic reader most of the time, I've read all of Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, and Mitch Albom books. I also love suspense and books that I can't put down. Recently, I've read the Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, Wreckage by Emily Bleeker, Looking for Alaska by John Green, The Night Circus by Erin Mortgenstern, The Book Thief, etc. I'd highly recommend any of those. I'm sure theres more but that's all I can think of for now. And I sure hope it will be worth it, I want it all to be. I'm trying hard to make it work. I just hope I can become more confident as the time goes on!
          Paramedic and dog lover, girlfriend to an MS1, here to find friends and support during this journey

Comment

Welcome back!

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your son in the interim while you've been gone. I remember your "Today" post. If you got to 50 posts then, one of our admins may be able to let you back in using your old name.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

[MENTION=1315]TulipsAndSunscreen[/MENTION] - thanks! I will message someone.

Comment

Welcome back!
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Welcome back! I'm so sorry about the loss of your son. Looking forward to hearing more from you on the board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

[MENTION=1315]TulipsAndSunscreen[/MENTION] - thanks! I will message someone.
                    I've reinstated the permissions your old account had, and I changed the password to be the birthdate you put in your profile back then (only visible to you and admins), in the format monthnameXXYY, where the month is spelled out, all lowercase, XX is two-digit date and YY is two-digit year. Once you've gotten logged in under your old account and changed your password to something more secure, let me know; there seems to be an option to merge two accounts, so I can fold the new account into the old one for you.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                      I've reinstated the permissions your old account had, and I changed the password to be the birthdate you put in your profile back then (only visible to you and admins), in the format monthnameXXYY, where the month is spelled out, all lowercase, XX is two-digit date and YY is two-digit year. Once you've gotten logged in under your old account and changed your password to something more secure, let me know; there seems to be an option to merge two accounts, so I can fold the new account into the old one for you.
                      If we needed any more proof that poky is a genius (which we don't), ^^^this is it.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Welcome back! I'm so sorry to hear about your son. Glad to have you back in the group.

Comment

Glad to have you back!! I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your son.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I remember you. In fact, I was thinking about reviving the "Today" thread.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Welcome back! What a hectic few years you've had. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                              X