Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think 99% of us would agree that especially the first year after residency ends is far harder than you think it would be.

Welcome!

Jenn

Comment

Welcome!
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Hello there!
        High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

Comment

Hi, I'm a new member and I have a confession to make . I am not yet a 'spouse'. My wonderful boyfriend of 6 years is starting med school in August and we are both pretty scared of the effects this transition will have on our relationship. So, nerd as I am, I am already trying to find an outlet/source for help, advice, and any other support he and I may need. Looking forward to finding my way around the site

Comment

Welcome! We have lots of partners, as well as spouses. You've definitely found the right place!
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by White Coat Woman View Post
              Hi, I'm a new member and I have a confession to make . I am not yet a 'spouse'. My wonderful boyfriend of 6 years is starting med school in August and we are both pretty scared of the effects this transition will have on our relationship. So, nerd as I am, I am already trying to find an outlet/source for help, advice, and any other support he and I may need. Looking forward to finding my way around the site
              Congrats on your new little one! And Welcome to the group! You've found the right place.
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Welcome'
                Veronica

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking for a while...I'm not a spouse either but it seems like I'm sharing the same kind of insanity that a lot of you are experiencing. I didn't realize it would be this hard!

Comment

hi everyone! I'm new to this whole post blogging situation. I'm a recently married wife to a soon to be med student. Non trad applicant who made it on his second round of apps. I've been there through the whole process from first MCAT to first rejection and I'm thrilled he has an official acceptance for the fall. I won't be living in the same city or even the same state as my career will take me temporarily to a a larger city. Some outside support and insight will be useful in this first rough year! Cheers

cold
                    MrsSz
                    sigpic
                    buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

welcome!
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Welcome to the crapfest.

Comment

Welcome! We did the non-trad, 2nd-round thing, too, whee! I was able to move with him, though, which helped. We get it, and we'll help you through!
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Welcome!
                            Veronica

Comment

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this site, but I've been reading what people have had to say on here for years. My husband is graduating in June and just matched with his top choice residency last week. There's a lot of talk on here about frustrations with spouses and a lot of negativity about the profession and the time commitment. When I first began reading these posts I was worried and legitimately scared b/c I couldn't bear the thought of medical school being the thing that came between us even though he was and is so committed to doing well. With that in mind, I think it's warranted to let the new spouses/gf/bf know that just b/c your significant other has decided to enter this profession it's not the END OF THE WORLD!

The most important thing in this entire process is to have your own interests, your own life etc. and provide support. I found that by doing that we have SO MUCH MORE to talk about when we finally see each other. It's a reality that they'll miss out on things, family outings/gatherings--I've gone to many a wedding by myself, but I never for one minute resented him for it--and he stood me up at a restaurant for our anniversary one year b/c a surgery went too long.

Don't get into that pattern of resentment and don't focus on all of the negative things about the process. Take all the alone time (or time with the kids) and turn it into something good--volunteer, concentrate on your own profession, learn to cook something, whatever, to keep your mind off of them and the slippery slope of self pity and resentment. You'll both be miserable.

I understand everyone is different I thought it was worth mentioning this to new significant others and those whose significant others are just starting out.

Comment

Congrats on your dude getting into his top choice! Did he sign outside the match?

Comment

Working...
                                X