Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

surgical residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgical residency

Hi,

My husband just started a surgical residency program and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. We moved across the country early June and while we are closer to family, they are still a good 2-4 hour drive/plane ride away. We have an 18 month old who will be starting daycare next Monday because I'll be starting a new teaching job. I just want to know others have survived the first year of their spouse being a resident!

Thanks,
    Alison

Originally posted by Alielifin View Post
    Hi,

My husband just started a surgical residency program and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. We moved across the country early June and while we are closer to family, they are still a good 2-4 hour drive/plane ride away. We have an 18 month old who will be starting daycare next Monday because I'll be starting a new teaching job. I just want to know others have survived the first year of their spouse being a resident!

Thanks,
    Alison
    Hi, and welcome, and yes, others have definitely survived; you're in the right spot!
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear you're having a tough adjustment period right now! Intern year is no cakewalk. Glad it seems like you're pretty happy with location given proximity to family and finding a job right away!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Grace

Comment

thanks, your reply is reminding me I should focus on the positive!

Comment

Welcome! You're in the right spot. Intern year was the lowest of the low for us. It gets better!
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Welcome! We moved 15 hours away for residency, which put us 24hr drive from home! The first year is really tough but I'm glad to hear you have a job. Believe it or not that'll make the transition easier. I found imsn first year of residency. You've come to the right place!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome! There are definitely lots of us on here who've been in your place. It will get better!!

Comment

Welcome! Sending you strength from the trenches of our PGY-1 year, too. It's been...interesting so far and I'm quickly seeing the rest of the year will be major highs and major lows. It's hard to get used to. I totally get it. We're glad you found us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Yes, we are in our 5th year of a surgical residency. I can assure you, #itgetsbetter

We had a 6 month old when intern year started and I was sobbing by August that this was awful. By Feb, it had improved enough that we got pregnant again (intentionally) and it really has gotten better every year
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Hi!! Welcome. You'll get great support here--many many women (and some dudes!) making great lives for themselves despite their spouses having demanding careers.

Congratulations on your new teaching job!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

We are in year seven of a surgical sub specialty. Intern year is a lot of adjustments. It's not easy but you will survive. My motto was hope for the best, expect the worst. Make plans and don't sit around waiting for him!

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Hello! My DH and I were still dating intern year of surgery, and long distance while I finished my M'Ed. Surgery is effing tough. My motto to get me through it was, expect the worst (not going to come home, wont be able to make it to some event...) and you might be pleasantly surprised. I also made sure to make my own life so I was not depending on him. Not that you asked for all this advice, so ignore me if you want, but I fully suggest finding some support/help for you and the baby so you don't get lonely or have to do everything alone. It does get better. I had my first his chief year and he was never home and it was ugly for me. Having help and support would have made a huge difference. You have found the right place to vent, brag, ask questions, find support, and just blow off steam.
                        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

We're in the 6th and final year of surgical training and *finally* I can see the light at the end of this tunnel. It absolutely does get better, but in the meantime this is a great place to land! Welcome to the club
                          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Welcome! We had our first kid during PGY1 of surgical residency, and I was working as well. Not ideal, bu doable. It's a rough year, but you'll get through it!
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Hi!!! So, we are intern year as well in a surgical residency. Let's see... I moved cross country back in June. I have a toddler who will be 3 in Dec and I have a 5 month old ( crazy right?) All our family/friends live about 5 hours away on a plane ride or a 1.5 days driving (3 days when you have kids) but so far like everyone says hope for the best, expect the worse. You are in the right place! Welcome!!
                              wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

Working...
                              X