Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Le the rollercoaster begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le the rollercoaster begin!

Hi I'm Jessica and my husband just started osteopathic school this week. It seems pretty crazy already. My poor guy is so worried about getting behind (not all of his books have come in yet) and it isn't even the end of the first week!
    However, I have to admit that I am getting a bit nervous too. It isn't even the end of the first week and I am getting stressed out with having to balance work (luckily it hasn't started - but I am trying to plan out my second year of teaching so it goes more smoothly than the first), home (we just bought our first home and the pest repairs aren't going to smoothly) and family (no kids - just 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 pre-housetrained puppy and my skeptical parents living 10 minutes away.)
    I look forward to gaining you advice/wisdom/expertise - and solace.

Jessica,

Welcome to the board. My wife just began her second year of med school but I can remember the first week of the first year quite well. It's quite normal for your husband to be nervous and soon he might feel overwhelmed as well.

Good luck in preparing for your upcoming school year. Here's my unsolocited advice. You may find that work is an unexpected blessing; the time you will invest in your job will keep you from waiting around to spend time with your husband. Take care of yourself and cultivate your own goals and relationships with others.

Be prepared for him to feel really off-kilter and stressed for about the six weeks of school. Until the first round of tests are under his belt, the uncertainty of them looming over him will be an incredible burden for him (and you). Give him plenty of space to meet with his new classmates and realize that sometimes it will be better for him to spend some social time with them alone. Plan some time (even if it's brief) to do something alone for just the two of you.

Good luck and welcome.

Comment

Welcome Jessica!

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk

Be prepared for him to feel really off-kilter and stressed for about the six weeks of school. Until the first round of tests are under his belt, the uncertainty of them looming over him will be an incredible burden for him (and you). Give him plenty of space to meet with his new classmates and realize that sometimes it will be better for him to spend some social time with them alone. Plan some time (even if it's brief) to do something alone for just the two of you.
        Excellent advice. Those first six weeks were pretty crazy in our house and I wondered if all of med school was going to be like that. Making through the first round of exams was a huge milestone.
        Hang in there and post often!

Comment

Welcome!

I have no words of advice about the first two years ofmedical school, the "other woman" got him through those! We didn't meet until halfway through third year.

However, there are lots and lots of people here who have been exactly where you are.

Jenn

Comment

Yeah another Jessica! My hubby is a third year student and I remember first year and feeling SO overwhelmed with it all. It gets better. Somehow they find their study "nich" and get on a real schedule and routine and then it gets easier for you to know what to expect from them. Let me just say too that it FLIES by! Does anyone else feel this way? It may be a bit different for us though b/c we are older students (30) and already have 3 kids. We just don't want to wish this time away as we want to enjoy our kids while they are so young. Anyway, WELCOME!

Comment

Hi and welcome!

For us first year sucked until Christmas, and then it got better. It's entirely possible it will go smoothly for you from Day 1, but if it doesn't, realize that it can all still change for the better.

Good luck!
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Welcome,
                It truly is a roller coaster.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm back! It is so funny to read my post from the begnning of the year. Well it took DH a couple of blocks before he fell into his niche - but I think we sorted out all the school/work/home issues. And now the end of the year has snuck up on us. DH has his last set of 1st year exams coming up next week. And I am stuck teaching the kiddies for about a monthmore. DH is looking forward to his last summer off, unfortunately I won't be able to spend much time with him since I'll be doing summer school.

Comment

Welcome (back) to the boards. My DH and I lived in Northern CA until about a year ago when we moved for residency.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Welcome back. I'm glad you survived the first year. We live about 35 miles from Philadelphia. I like it here (moved here from Atlanta).
                      Luanne
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                      X