Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

new in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new in Chicago

Hi!

I just found this board in a fit of boredom and maybe a little depression.

My wife went to Drexel medical school In Philly and I am here in Chicago.
    Didn't realize I would miss her so much.

Is there another spouse / significant other of a med student in Chicago who could tell me how they adjusted.

jnapier@rcn.com

oh yes, one more thing.

I work at home for a bank.

Comment

Welcome and glad you found us!
      I'm assuming your wife is a 1st year? Pardon my geographical ignorance, but how far is Philly from Chicago and are you able to see each other often?
      I think there are a few members in Chicago and also a few who have maintained long distance relationships through med school. The board has been quiet over the last week -- vacations, I think -- but I'm sure you can get some input.

Comment

Welcome to the site. This lifestyle is a roller coaster and you will be just fine, as long as you fasten your seatbelt. We are in New Jersey (45 minutes from Drexel), that is pretty far from Chicago, but if you watch the airlines there are always specials between Philly & Chicago. Again, welcome.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome! I am new to the site too. My husband is a colo-rectal surgical fellow. We lived apart for one year when he was in his 2nd year of med school (back in 1997). I lived in Pennsylvania and he was in Los Angeles. It was hard, but knowing it was only for a year made it a bit easier. You should be able to find cheap flights from Phili to Chicago. My husband and I lived in Chicago for one year during his internship year, its a great city with a lot to do. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Hi Tenzo,
            My DH went to med school in Chicago and we lived downtown off LSD and Montrose. We left Chicago in 2003 for residency in Northern Cal.
            I can't relate when it comes to the long distance thing, although surgery residency is about as close as you can get. I can tell you that my husband works about 100 hours a week and because I work full time, we go days without seeing each other. And when we do see each other, he is usually so tired, overworked and preoccupied with the need to study (yes, they still have to study in residency!) that our time together is unfortunately not quality time.
            For you, do your best to stay connected to your own life - friends and/or family. Stay busy and save money for plane tickets to see her as much as possible. If you are feeling a little depressed, it might help to get on a regular workout routine if you aren't already on one. During med school, I picked up a few hobbies and took some extra classes to stay busy. I believe all of these are really vital. My first year in residency here was horrible and depressing because I lost the life I had in Chicago.

Comment

Working...
            X