Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New here; gf to a first-year DO student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here; gf to a first-year DO student

Hi there,

I am so glad I found this board! My boyfriend is in the middle of his first year as a DO student here in the Phoenix area, and he and I just moved from Boston. Generally things have been going well so far, but there have been some moments where I just wonder if we're going to make it through! I hope this board will allow me to connect with others who are going through the same things!

It's been a pretty long road getting here. He and I met in Boston a little over 2 years ago while he was in a post-graduate program at Boston University and I was working in publishing. BU was his first choice, but he sadly didn't get in, so we ended up out here in AZ. It was a huge decision on my part to leave a wonderful group of friends and a job I really liked and move with him, but I was ready for a change. I'm also very lucky that I've been able to continue my previous job on a freelance basis. We're currently living together in a tiny apartment (doesn't help the stress level!) while the townhouse we've bought is being finished.

I like to think I'm aware of how difficult the road's going to be, but I'm sure there are plenty of bumps that I haven't even thought of! And I guess that's where the board comes in!

Speaking of, is there anyone out there with a SO in a DO program? I'd love to know more about your/their experiences.

Thanks, and I look forward to sharing with everyone!
    Lindsay

Hi Lindsey! Welcome to the forums and the valley of the sun. I am also in the Phx area. My hubby is also med student. I actually know a few other DO students here in the Phx area too. How are you enjoying it here? I bet it is way different than Boston. Anyway, feel free to PM if you need anything or have more ?'s. I am sure you will enjoy this website as much as I have. It saves me alot of the time to know others are going through some of the same things or have already DONE this and are thriving Again, welcome!

Comment

Lindsay--Welcome! My husband is a DO (from KCOM). Our road sounds a little like yours in that we met before he ever got into med school....yes, there will be plenty of things thrown your way that you never see coming, but you can get through it. The DO route was my husband's choice before MD, although he did get into MD schools, too. The experiences are much the same, if not more intense sometimes, than allopathic experiences. And in the end, everybody's a doctor, whether MD or DO anyhow....welcome, and enjoy!

Comment

Welcome Lindsay! My DW went to OSU-COM in Tulsa, OK. She got an excellent education. They told them many times that when they would start their interships/residency that they would feel more comfortable than their MD counterparts, and I would have to say that is true. (*not saying in anyway that DO/MD is superior to MD/DO). They have much more hands on with patients and the teaching of OMT/MMT is a huge reason. When rotations started, there was a very tight network of docs that did an outstanding job of keeping the learning on track.
        Now, that being said, it is from one point of view from one school!

DW has just started work after residency with Air Force and already has several patients that are seeing her for the OMT only. She is flattered by that because she is good and she loves to help the body heal itself with the least amount of medication.

Good luck on the journey! Come post often!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted! This is such a friendly, welcoming place.

Most of the comments about the DO experience were what I expected. I have to admit that initially I was concerned that Sam (BF) would eventually be disappointed that he's a DO and not an MD, but you're all correct that in the end it doesn't matter---they're all doctors! He's also enjoying his OMT class, and I'm sure he'll appreciate the focus on primary care.

And Jmom, he and I are absolutely loving Phoenix! Everyone here is so friendly, and of course the "winter" weather is amazing!

Thanks again, everyone, and I hope you're all surviving Monday!
          L.

Comment

Funny OMT story--somebody in DH's class was practicing his OMT on his wife--she had terrible sinus drainage so he was doing some technique to help the drainage. I guess a week or so later, she said "That really helped, but now I have all this congestion in my chest..." His response? "Sorry...we haven't gotten to that yet!" I still laugh when I think about that!

Comment

Hi Welcome to the boards. Glad you are liking Phoenix. My husband graduated from CCOM and is now a neonatology attending. There is lots of great information here. The best thing is the people!

Enjoy.

Jennifer
              Needs

Comment

Hi Lindsay!
                Welcome to the board and the medical journey! I knew my DH before med school and saw the application process up through the current residency. Whew!
                Glad you found us and post often.

Comment

Hello Lindsay and welcome! 8)

Comment

Welcome, welcome!

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                    X