Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

wife of 4th year student - loosing it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm childless but wanted to offer my commisseration anyway as a fellow MS-4 spouse. Still though, this is FOURTH YEAR. Take as much advantage of the time off, the less-important rotations, the decreased expectations as possible. Studying is important, but so is family time, and if he at least pencils the latter into his schedule, the former will become more efficient, I swear.

I've been penciled in alongside studytime for almost 8 years now.

My fella's delaying Step 2 till later, December or Jan I think? But is thinking of re-scheduling Step 2.5 for this month.
    Alison

Comment

Well I'm on the end of the spectrum.

My husband finished his MFM fellowship in 86

What you have described is my life except replace the stresses of the "tests" to the stresses of employee's , Hospital BS, demanding patients, Ins companies who don't think their doctors need a paycheck and of course the shadow that lingers of the "potential Lawsuit".

Doctor wives/ husbands have to be very independent people and lots not forget flexible

Hang in there !

Comment

I just thought I'd throw in that if he does choose Pathology, it's a pretty good residency in comparison to the others. My dh did general surgery for his intern year (and our first year of marriage) and then came to a realization that he was more interested in a life along with a job he loves, so he switched to Pathology.

We've just finished (I was mid-move and internet-less when you originally posted), and his works mostly 7:30 /8 to 6 / 6:30 M-F. He just did his first Saturday.

It's a good carrot at the end of the poverty that is residency - if that helps to perk you up any.

Comment

Maybe I was lucky, but me and the DW talked at length about residencies and lifestyle of each specialty. We, yes we, made a decision about what would be best for our family. Surgery, OB, Neurosurgery, Ortho, etc were all taken off the list because they off such horrible (in our view) residencies and lifestyles.

Mind you the wife was on the same page as I was, and it was not a fight or anything to take those off the list, even though she loved OB.

Any chance you talk objectively about post-training lives with him?

Comment

Originally posted by pstone
            Maybe I was lucky, but me and the DW talked at length about residencies and lifestyle of each specialty. We, yes we, made a decision about what would be best for our family. Surgery, OB, Neurosurgery, Ortho, etc were all taken off the list because they off such horrible (in our view) residencies and lifestyles.

Mind you the wife was on the same page as I was, and it was not a fight or anything to take those off the list, even though she loved OB.

Any chance you talk objectively about post-training lives with him?
            Peter, we tried this before residency as well, but we were both a little deluded as to how hard surgery residency would be. Also, it was never really going to change anything because all my dh ever wanted to do was ortho. If I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure things would have changed, but I would have tried like hell to get him to do something, anything else.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
            X