Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hello everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone!

I just found this site when searching for support on the internet. My husband and I just got a house in May, got married in June, and he started his surgical residency in July. We have been together nine years, long before med school, but this residency is really kicking our butts.

I'm glad I found this site and I'm hoping you all can share your helpful advice to help me get through this. Life is quite overwhelming right now!

Ahh - the joy of intern year / general surgery + 1st year of marriage. Been there (and survived, although dh changed specialties thankfully). We joke that I "dated" his best friend (who had just been dumped) for intern year.

It stinks. The best I can say is that there are LOTS of surgeon spouses on this board - you're sure to find support. I also suggest contacting the residency office to see if there is a spouses support group. I found some great friends at mine.

Good luck - and welcome!

Comment

Welcome,
      There are lots of surgical spouses here. Are you new to Philadelphia? We aren't far away, in Princeton, NJ.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome fellow surgery spouse! You will find lots of soul sisters and brothers here!

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome to the board! I think we have a few new members that are doing the "new marriage, new city, new job" routine. I look forward to reading your posts!

Angie
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Welcome surg spouse!!!!

You are certainly a kindered spirit! This site is GREAT and welcome!!!!
            The people here are amazing!

Post often!
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! Fortunately, we are only a few towns over from where I grew up, so I'm just a further drive to friends and family (and my commute to work). It's a tough time right now though since my closest friends are all busy with their own lives (one is having a wedding in two weeks). They are also trying to give us time to settle into our marriage, but what they don't understand is that there is no 'us' time, just 'me' time!!

Jeez, we can't catch a break. We don't live in a bad area at all, but at 3:30 am I got a knock on the door from the cops. Apparently some guys had broken into my husband's car and may have been attempting to hotwire it. Fortunately for us, the teenage boy next door was still awake at 3:30 and was able to call the cops. Nothing was missing, they dropped his iPod on the street and everything else valuable was in the house, but my sense of security is definitely shaken. Not looking forward to his on call night tomorrow.

Comment

Hi and Welcome! Glad you found us! Congrats on being a newlywed. Your situation sounds like ours. We bought a house in May, married and honeymooned in June, moved and both started jobs on July 1st. That was 5 years ago. We have since moved again and had two children!

I feel your pain!

Come often.

Jennifer
                Needs

Comment

Welcome aboard!

We also did the graduate/getmarried/move/start new jobs thing.

Totally sucked.

So, come here like we all have and get your much needed support. The beauty is that there are always people in your exact same place.

Jenn

Comment

Welcome aboard! There are many of us here who understand your pain.

Crystal
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Welcome! You will find an sympathetic ear here.
                      Post often!

Comment

Working...
                      X