Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hi Im new first time here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Im new first time here

Hi I am excited to find something like this, I was just married in June (my husband who is a first year resident here in cleveland) and we had a long distance relationship i lived in pittsburgh while he was in cleveland, When he asked me to marry him I knew I had to move to cleveland, so not only am I in a new marriage but Im in a new state and city, When I first moved here I asked my husband about starting some kind support group for the other spouses and family members who were like me, new to a city not sure what to do where to go, and married to a person who you hardly see, but he didnt know because he not an americian and in his residency most the others are non americian and they really dont socialize with each other, they all tend to stick to themselves he told me so he didnt want to ask them about if their families would be interested. I got lucky because I am in the medical feild too as a phlebotomist and got a job very quicly with Cleveland clinic, so that helps take up time whe he not around, and I started a home based travel agency which is very slow at taking off, but getting there, but Im still very new at this city and I trying to find people I can talk to and hang out with, but it a bit hard sometimes startng over again and his cousin told me it hard to meet people here in cleveland, and I starting to believe that. I finally decided that there had to be support groups out there for people like me and I was right, I still like to start something here in cleveland, so far Im not finding anything, which I find irronic because it is one the mega healthcare cities with cleveland clinic and University and they have tons of residents at both. So in my search I found this am so happy. Thanks!

Hi and welcome! What field is your husband in? My husband is a fourth year medical student at Case!

When we first got here we got some flyers for a spouses and partners group; however it didn't really interest me at the time and I don't have their contact info. :| I don't know if it included residents either, or if it was more for students' spouses.

I hope for your sake that this winter is more mild than the last one! I think it is supposed to be.

Come often, share lots. This website is a great resource for resident spouses most of all.
    Alison

Comment

Hi he in internal med at St Vincents Hospital,

I know from last year Pittsburgh actually had more snow then they did in cleveland, I would call him and say did you get snow and he saiy no, everyone say we live on the west side and it usually better out that way.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sunsational
        I know from last year Pittsburgh actually had more snow then they did in cleveland, I would call him and say did you get snow and he saiy no, everyone say we live on the west side and it usually better out that way.
        Yes, the west side misses the lake effect! My co-workers who live out there get less than half the snow that we get.
        Alison

Comment

Snow doesnt bother me as much as black ice, that is one thing good about Ohio it flat so you dont have the hills and black ice, that the worse!

Comment

Welcome! I'm glad you found this site. You sound like someone full of energy -- I think you *should* start a group for residents' families if there isn't one for your hospital. We have a number of Ohio/Cleveland area people as well as ex-Clevelanders on this site. I think one (j3patel) was involved in an active spouse support group when she was here. Maybe she'll post her info for you. Is your husband's program large? Maybe they'll do something social over the holidays and you can get to know some of the other families within your program there.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

from what he told me there are 15-25 people in his resdiency program,I told him again last night about starting a group and he is so against it and not sure why, to be honest if there are social events for the families I dont think he tell me, Im not sure if this is a culture thing or not with him.

Comment

Welcome -

I was in a spouse support group through University Hospitals, and I know CCF has one as well. I wasn't even aware that St. Vincents had a residency program, so I'm sorry that I can't help with that one. I'm pretty sure that my old group would be happy to welcome someone from a different program - the goal is to help each other out, after all. Their email address is howa_uhhs@yahoo.com, and you can tell them you got their name from Jennifer Patel (not sure how many of them will remember me, I've been out for a couple of years).

Now, if you guys choose to move to the east side ... my house is still for sale in Cleveland Heights .

Best of luck, and if you need any Cleveland info, let me know. I was born and raised there. Welcome!!

Comment

Working...
                X