Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

introducing myself the second time around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introducing myself the second time around

Hey All,

A quick re-introduction and update from yours truly.

I have been with my DH for 11 years, and married for 7. I met him in the very beginning of his second year of med. school and we were married at the very beginning of his second year of residency. Before we had kids, I taught high school English and LOVED my job.

Internship was BRUTAL and I broke up with him and we were apart for over a month during that bumpy time -- but he came back (I was shocked) and jumped through the many hoops I set up for him as his pennance.

When I first joined this site, my daughter was about eight months old, I was a SAHM for the first time and doing ok but still transitioning, we were applying for fellowships in CT surgery, the 80 hour work week was NOT in effect, AND we were going to counselling for the first time in our marriage. In a word it was a "challenging" time for us. THANK ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD FOR THIS SITE!!!!!!!!

Now we are the proud parents of a three year old daughter and a one year old son. I am still at home with my kids, and most days I am very thankful we have the ability to make that happen! My DH is in his LAST year of fellowship which means he is in his LAST year of training (whisper this last piece of info. or you will wake the medical gods and I will be stuck in training FOREVER)!!!! So as of June 30th we will have finished 5 years of General Surgery residency, two years of lab time and two years of fellowship. Yes, he is nuts -- but mostly in a good way these days.

Our marriage IS on track and has been for a while I am happy to say. We needed some "help" in the communication department -- specifically how to disagree and not take eachother's heads off and how to debate for a resolution or a compromise you can live with, and NOT to win.

DH has exibited all the "normal symptoms" of being a surgeon in the past. I think the stereotypes of the different specialities are right on in a lot of respects . We have both worked hard to be better partners and it's really paid off. He is so much less "the know it all rock em' sock em' kick a#@ heart surgeon" now, and so much more "the devoted husband and father who happens to be a surgeon." KUDOS to him. I am very lucky.

DH is going on interviews right now and despite the job market being
    recently cruddy in our chosen field (isn't that a big kick in the a#$) he has multiple interviews and we have some attractive options. We are very lucky in that respect.

I'm not sure where we will end up but more than likely we will have to move which will be bittersweet because I have been able to be near my parents for this ENTIRE ride. A huge gift.

So that's me in a not-so-short re-introduction.

This is a crazy life we all lead and hearing your stories these past few years has been SO INCREDIBLY helpful to me.

A very sincere and hearfelt THANK YOU to all of you who have shared your own tough times and offered support to me when I needed it. Being "heard" is so important in this lifestyle and you guys are top notch.

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

The end on sight!

A huge congratulations to you on making it to the end of looong training. Wow. I look forward to posts of the post-training years.

I love these reintroductions. Thanks folks. It helps to know more about the different people and where everyone is in this process.

Comment

to my idol who has traveled the road which lays before me. You are an inspiration.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
      X