Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Happy to have found all of you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy to have found all of you

Hello,

I cannot tell you how reassuing it was to read through the posts on this message board. I've been dating somebody for about 3 years who is now in his second year of an internal medicine residency. I long for the med school days!

This year's been particularly rough and it unfortunately conincides with a critical time in our relationship. We're both very much in love and deeply committed to one another. Seeing him once or twice a week and talking on the phone evenings when he's not on call or post-call just hasn't felt like enough lately. I really miss him and have been thinking about moving in together. The hitch: we're not quite ready for marriage. I'm sold on kids, want to have at least one. Not now, but after his chief residency year. He knows he doesn't want kids now, but can't say whether he will in the future. It's been rough hanging in with the uncertainty of his response. Has anybody encountered anything like this?

We cycle through some really good months, but then there will be a rough rotation that keeps him too busy to see me often enough for my tastes and I grow increasingly insecure. We talk, he reassures me that his answer isn't no, he eventually starts a less demanding service and I feel better... for a few months...

He's worth the wait, but I am not the most patient person in the world. I want to cope without making myself and him miserable in the process.

Any pearls of wisdom?

-DB

Welcome!! Glad you found us! Remind me how long your partner's residency is? I foget.

I'm not sure I have any pearls right now...except the "having kids" issue is huge. What if he decides later that he doesn't want kids? Would you be ok with that? Don't marry him thinking you could change his mind on this issue...not a good way to start.

Welcome and post often!!!!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

It's a 3-year residency, and he's doing a 4th year as cheif. After that he wants to do a 3-year fellowship (hopefully at the same hospital).

We've agreed not to get engaged until we reach a mutual decision (read: until/unless he decides he wants kids). I'm not changing my mind and I wouldn't expect him to... once he makes it up, that is. We won't even move in together and "play house" until we've sorted this out.

Because of his schedule, it's just been tough to hang in until he does decide. I've prepared myself for the possibility that he may ultimately not want kids, but as long as he's on the fence, I can't walk away.

I never thought of myself as the type of woman who would need to be reassured, but I do. This is a relationship and it involves the effort of 2 people. He's a romantic, and set the bar pretty high while he was still in med school, so my expectations are only based on what I know he's capable of without the time constraints of residency. He's just always so tired to the core now.

Comment

Welcome-

The lifestyle can make romance a dim memory, that's for sure. I always said that Saturday afternoons saved our marriage during his internship. (both people are semi-rested, in theory)

As for the kid thing, I hear you. I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted any, but I wasn't 100% sure that I didn't and I needed him to be OK with whatever way the pendulum swung. I will say that the childfree years of residency and fellowship were significantly easier and we did a lot of amazingly fun and interesting things. Not that it's not fun now, but fun now is a pizza in front of a Netflix, and fun before was going out with friends for an amazing meal to all hours of the night.

It sounds like he might just be afraid of what the medical lifestyle can do to families, which is totally legit. Talk, talk, talk- that's what keeps the medical relationship alive.

Welcome.

Jenn

Comment

We live for "Golden Weekends" when he actually has 2 days off. Usually, by the 2nd day he's more caught up on sleep and back to feeling like himself. We do have our favorite places and things to do. I enjoy that but also look forward to building on it, once he has more free time.

He's very receptive to conversations, so we have that going for us. I'm always the one to bring it up, but I'm okay with that because he responds. Maybe I just need to get used to this cycle, the talking does help.

So do all of you.

Thanks

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome, welcome!!Glad you are here.
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome! Post often.

First thought when reading intro -- residency is a stressful time to think about adding kids to your life because it's so hard to take care of the already existing important things. My $0.02.

Comment

Welcome.

And for the record, this life can make the most fiercely independent among us needing to be reassured. It is a mind melding experience.

Good luck. Post often and let us know how you all are working this out.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome. I look forward to reading your posts.
                    Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Glad to be here!

Hi everyone. I'm new here... Just found this site through student doctor network! Looking forward to reading everyone's posts.

Comment

Working...
                      X