Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Finally introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally introducing myself

Hello,

I've been a lurker since November 2005 and I greatly enjoy this forum so I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

I'm Cristina and I'm recently engaged to a med school student who just finished his first year. He wants to go into neurosurgery so I know we have a long way to go but I'm looking forward to it if you can believe that. The reason I say this is because we are currently in a long distance relationship and I imagine that I'd take residency over this anyday.

I love this forum because it's such a relief to know that so many others have gone through this whole process and that the journey is tough but doable. I have to admit, I'm a control freak and I plan everything to the smallest detail. Not having the power to control everything anymore hasn't been easy for me so it's such great help reading about how others have dealt with planning a wedding, marriage, kids or moving to another city.

Thanks for creating such an amazing community and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Welcome!

I've seen you around and I'm so glad you've introduced yourself!

Yes, it all can be done. (and yes, residency after a LDR IS better...)

Post away!

Jenn

Comment

Welcome aboard!
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Thanks for welcoming me.

Jenn, I've seen you around too. I noticed you in particular because you're from my area but mainly because I followed your adoption story. I had a coworker who was going through an adoption at the same time. She adopted an adorable baby boy from Russia and she brought him home in August 2005. It was a long and stressful process but well worth it in the end.

Thanks for confirming that residency after LDR is better. An LDR is bad enough but we dated for 2 and a half years while going to the same college before he left for med school so it's that much more difficult for me to go from seeing him 24/7 to seeing him twice a year. Yes, I forgot to mention that he's all the way in Ecuador right now. (Well actually I'm lying, he's doing some research at the University of Miami this summer.) He's half American and half Ecuadorian and he moved back to Ecuador with his parents last year. On one hand that means no med school debt, on the other hand it means he'll have to work twice as hard to get into a good residency. And here we go again. I hate not having any control over this whole residency match. Grr!
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

Cristina, welcome. My DH is a 2nd year neurosurgery resident. It is a long hard road, but manageable. We did the LDR thing for 14 months at the beginning of his medical school as well. Welcome aboard!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Thanks Cheri. I noticed you're one of the few people on this board who are married or dating a neurosurgery resident or wannabe. I can imagine it's a tough road to travel on but we're prepared for the worst and there's this wonderful forum for those times I become discouraged. Thanks again for welcoming me.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Hi Christina,
              Welcome, I'm glad you found this site at the beginning!! It can be done and it sounds like you have a great attitude. I look forward to getting to know you.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks Luanne. I look forward to getting to know you too. As for the great attitude, you should tell my mom. She had nicknamed me "Miss No" when I was little because I was so negative about everything. I guess people do change afterall.
                Cristina
                IM PGY-2

Comment

Welcome! I've been waiting for you to start posting - I love your username!

Look forward to getting to know you.

Comment

Thanks for welcoming me. I chose my nickname because I'm such a typical Cancer/Crab and MissCancer didn't quite have the right ring to it. But now that I think about it, I suppose people can get the wrong idea by looking at my nickname.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

Your Mom is probably my age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Well, I guess we'll never know, right?
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

Re: Finally introducing myself

Originally posted by MissCrabette
                          Hello,

He wants to go into neurosurgery so I know we have a long way to go but I'm looking forward to it if you can believe that. The reason I say this is because we are currently in a long distance relationship and I imagine that I'd take residency over this anyday.
                          I kinda know what you mean. While going through the med-school application process we dicussed a LDR if he ended up in med-school out of state. This was a very real possibility and was intimidating to say the least. Fortunatly he was accepted in state so having gone through that emotional roller coaster I think med school will be somewhat simpler.

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Thanks for welcoming me, mom2three. That's such a neat smiley!

Catina, I bet you're relieved you didn't have to go through an LDR while raising your two children by yourself. Medical spouses probably don't see enough of their families as it is so adding an LDR into the mix might very well be the straw that broke the camel's back. I know that this decision was a lot easier for me because there were no children involved.
                              Cristina
                              IM PGY-2

Comment

Working...
                              X