Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New to the board, country and married life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the board, country and married life!

deleted
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Cead Mil Failte!

O.K. that's all the Irish I'm trying lest I hurt anyone.

Welcome, fellow general surgery spouse. Please post often. I wouldn't have made it through without the love and support of this place. I may understand *some* of your pain. We're starting PGY 7/ R5, Chief year of General Surgery on Friday of this week, with a two year fellowship to follow. Oh yeah, we're hard core, baby.

Anyway, welcome.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome again! Stick around... The more the merrier ya know...

P.S. Can someone please decifer the PGY7/R5 thing for me. It looks like the measurements on my tires to me.

Comment

PGY (post graduate year from medical school)
        R (residency year)

These classifications vary because sometimes people research, do preliminary years, or switch specialties.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome! I'm glad you found this place and looking forward to getting to know you.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Welcome!!!
            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

We're a little bit ahead of you with the Green Card stuff--we're done with the adjustment of status, employment, travel permit (advanced parole), etc., so if you want to moan about that process, then go ahead! You've got a lot on your plate. Good luck to you!!
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Welcome to the boards and the country - I hope things get better. We're always here to listen.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

welcome

Just wanted to add my welcome. This board is fab!!!
                  Cheryl~wife to MS3 and Mommy to our two beautiful daughters...

http://simplyimmersed.blogspot.com/
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crick...20671954714125

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by sp2809
                      Is it too much to ask that he call and let me know? I know that he doesn't have much control over his work hours but if it was any other job, I wouldn't tolerate it. All I want is a phone call! Yet, I feel awful complaining about it.
                      No - it's not - yet it's a constant struggle here. I think they honestly are afraid of looking "weak", in the "uh, I have to check in with my wife" kind of way. I would see it as "considerate", but unfortunately I think the medical world considerate=weak. It is SO much of an issue for us, that I just bought my dh a pricey watch as a Father's Day gift. If I had time, I'd have the back inscribed with something bitchy .... fortunately I'm late in buying.

Comment

One to three months sounds right but that was 6 years ago and things have slowed down a bit. I'm so frustrated with USCIS that I have no words for it.

From what I read on this forum, it seems that most docs don't call to let their spouses know when to expect them home. I'd like to think I'll be laid back enough to not expect a call and be happy when I get one. But we all know that will never happen.
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

Welcome!

I'll get a call if we have something specifically planned and he's going to be late. I posted here not too long ago when he switched services and didn't know he was on call - I panicked when I didn't hear from him by 10 and paged him at work. He apologized for worrying me and not knowing his schedule. Usually, if he's going to be home later than 10, he'll call if he's able. He tries.

Comment

I page my DH every night between 6-7 depending on who's service he's on and what he told me his schedule would be for the day. The nurses here are really good about being discreet if they return a page when the attending is in the room. If a nurse returns the page I just say, thanks I didn't know he was scrubbed in, he can call me when he's done. At least then I know that he's not dead. He's usually pretty good at calling me shortly after he gets out of the OR.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yeah, I mean he's pretty good about it usually. I'm new to all of this, making it up as I go along. I read in another post about dropping in when your dh is on call. He suggested it before but I didn't know if anyone else did that. It's night float next month and I dread the thought of spending all those evenings alone. Night float has to be the worst!

Comment

Working...
                              X