Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing myself

Hi everyone,

So happy to have found this site.

SO started a residency programme for 4 years n Boston and I'm in europe, with high hopes that myself and ds will get our visa's soon. It's so hard being so far away from SO, Thank God for Skype and web cams!!! it has made this transition in our lives so much easier and ds (age 2) can talk to SO.

I have made 1 visit over so far for 2 1/2 days in June, which was absolutely exhausting but so so worth it, in 9 days i'll be making the same trip but for 4 weeks!! I just can't wait!

SO is the best thing that has ever happened to me, without him i feel so incomplete, he is my missing piece so being 3650+ mile apart is heart breaking. I just hope our visa's will come through within the year.

MrsB_2B

Welcome, It must be a tough time for you. I'm going through the immigration process myself. I'm Irish, my DH is a US citizen. We got married in the US and applied for my Greencard here. We only had to be apart for 2 months but it was tough. On a brighter side, the process is moving a lot faster than I thought. After just 2 months I have my Work Permit and a date for my USCIS interview. It really helped that we hired a good immigration lawyer.

I hope your visa's come through soon and have a great vacation!!
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Hi MrsB_2B,

Welcome to the forum. You're definitely not the only one in a very long distance relationship around here so I'm sure you'll find lots of support. Skype is my best friend too. Good luck with the visas and I hope you'll be with your SO very soon.
      Cristina
      IM PGY-2

Comment

thanks so much for the welcome, Its great to find a place where other people understand what your going through.

SO is an irish citizen and has done 3 years post grad here in ireland and going to do the emergency medicine programme in America means he's an intern again which is taking his toll on him and is frustrating at times. Especially when he asks questions such as , we do it this way in ireland do you do it the same way here? and he gets replys such as 'your not in ireland now' thats the whole point, he knows he's not in ireland and he's trying to learn the american way of doing things. I wish i could be there at home after his hard days at work.

I'm an RN....wanna guess how we met? and so i have a lot of paper work that needs to be evaluated before i can taking the nursing exams before i can start the emigration process! We plan to get married but not in the next 2-3 years, we just can't afford it and want to be able to have a decent honeymoon which the residency programme doesn't really facilitate If we we're married I could go over on a different visa which would be a bit quicker but there is no way i want to get married 'just to get a visa' We'll just have to see how things go for now. I'm going over for a month in a little over a week and we're both looking forward to that!!

Comment

Wow, where in Ireland are you? My DH went to med school there, in UCC. That's how we met. He found that they did things very differently when he came to the States, it just takes getting used to.

We had originally planned to apply for a fancee visa but it takes quite some time. Instead, we got married in a civil ceremony and plan to have the big wedding later. It wasn't ideal and was a huge decision to make but we figured it was all or nothing at that stage. Likewise, we would have gotten married in 2 or 3 years time had the situation been different. It made everything so much easier and meant less heartbreak for us. Have you consulted a lawyer in the U.S? There are so many aspects to immigration law here it would make a huge difference. We didn't even know that we could apply for a visa this way until we asked a lawyer, and I had done a lot of research into it beforehand.

Make the most of that vacation!
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Welcome and glad you found us. I look forward to getting to know you.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I'm from just south of dublin and SO is from Kildare, He went to medical school in RCSI in Dublin and worked as a doctor here for 3 years before going over the the US, so about 5 hours from UCC but we both have friends in some of the COrk hospitals!

He's really finding some aspects hard of working over there and other aspects so cool like getting CT scans and MRI's in the middle of the night for things we would send patients home and give them an outpatients appointment for one where they'd be lucky to get one in a month!! and some of the shourt hands are different like if we prescribe a medication for 2 days or 2 weeks we'd wrtie it 2/7 meaning 2 days out of 7 , or 2/52 for 2 weeks and he did this on his first night so got bleeped from pharmacy all day the next day after the night shift for every prescription he wrote, its all just getting used to it and I can't be there for him at home is really frustrating. I've thought of doing the civil ceramony and having our south African wedding on the beach in 3 years time as our proper wedding but haven't suggested it to SO, although i'm 90% sure he has thought the same thing, we'd need to really research it and see if its possible, we both know we will be together for ever through everything no matter what, I think our biggest opsticle with that idea is our faniles, he only has his mother and no other family and she's pretty religious and would be devastated, my parents would be 'typical Jane, never could do anything the right way'.....refering to packing my bags and heading to England for college...i annouced it like 2 days before I left, then migrated home 22 weeks pregnant with my little boy, surprise!! I may have shocked them enough for 1 life time

Comment

Working...
              X