Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi!

My name is Kelly & I'm the wife of Sean, a soon-to-be 2nd year general surgery resident. We are in this ""residency thing" for the long haul: 5 years of residency, 2-3 years research, and 2 year fellowship in peds. surgery. Q3 will be a way of life for us over the next decade.

I've stumbled across a few boards and I feel particularly touched by some of your experiences that you have shared. I look forward to meeting to meeting you on the board.

Kelly

In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the board. It is nice to hear of someone else going through a general surgery residency. I would LOVE to hear your experiences being that we are not quite to that point yet. My husband is a 4th year med student planning on going into general surgery next year. I am a little apprehensive about the whole thing. I really had hoped he would love family practice but I knew that he would choose surgery. He has loved it from the beginning.

Anyway... what do you do to keep busy? Work, kids, hobbies?

Again, Welcome!

Robin

Comment

hi kelly! **welcome**! general surgery is a unique thing, isn't it? i just spent some time with my soon to be 3rd year general surgery resident/fiance and wow - i realized i was

living the easy life by not being around for this! he was called several times during the night for 2 nights in a row and he wasn't on call! WELCOME AGAIN (!!!) and i look forward to chatting with you!

Comment

Welcome Kelly--All I can say after reading your post and the two replies is

GO FAMILY PRACTICE

My partner is due to start his second year of residency next month--Oh thank God and pass the gravy

I am so happy for him that the first year is almost done

He is behind me snoozing in bed right now--which is a very GOOD thing.

Welcome to the board--We are all glad you stopped by.

Comment

Hi Kelly-

Welcome- this is a great group of people. Just whe you think you're the only person experiencing something- you suddenly realize that there's a huge support group right here- and chances are someone has already been down the road you're on!

Jenn

(and whew- am I glad the beloved HATED surgery. Unfortuately he's fallen in love with adolescent medicine- I personally think all teenagers should be freeze-dried until they're 21)

Comment

Kelly,

Wow...you guys really DO have a long road ahead of you! We did 7 1/2 years of residency, but that pales in comparison to you!

Are you all going to do anything special to celebrate the end of internship? Just two more weeks, right!!!! Will his schedule ease up at all once he is a PGY2?

Welcome to our humble abode...this is a great group of people. I am sure that you will find a lot of support here as well.

Kris
            The Medical Spouse Network

Comment

Wow, I'm feeling the LOVE with all your warm greetings!

Yes, at times, I wish that Sean would just quit and become a teacher or a plumber or a ...whatever. 10 years is a long time but, hey, so is 7 and 1/2 years! (The word on the street is that Fellowship is supposed to be a killer.) So everyone pat yourselves on the back for surviving!

As for the more details, I'm a mom of a beautiful creature who fills my day with unbelievable joy, laughter, messes, and challenges. My 16 month old grounds me somehow. I'm supposed to be the parent, and yet I'm learning from his purist, hedonistic, truthful little self. But I will write about my little love in another post.

I also work about 30 hours outside of the home. Sadly, this is considered part-time in my field. I'll reluctantly admit that I'm an attorney. People have many of the same misconceptions about law as they do medicine. I'm kind of conflicted about my career right now. But then again, that is a different post for a different day.

When I have the time, money, and energy (ha! read: pre baby) I enjoy friends, foreign travel (especially third world), education, historical fiction, chick flicks, chocolate, running, coffee, shopping, and anything in the great outdoors. In other words, I have a few guilty pleasures.

As far as being a "Doctor's wife" (ugh!), I must say that I have varying degrees of success at it. Sean and I are stronger than none. However, his profession can be a serious pain to deal with. Again, another post for another day.

Glad to meet you all!

Kelly

In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Oh yes Kelly I have told Dan on numerous occasions that if at anytime he wants to quit this madness and become a bus driver I am all for that

Comment

YEAH - a fellow surgical residency wife to suffer along with me!!! Just teasing. We are in it for the long haul too. 5 year gen surgery, 2 years research and a 3 year fellowship in plastics (reconstruction).

To top it off we have a 20 month old and are considering having another as soon as I get a new job (I was laid off 2 months ago). Oh and I guess that also means I work full-time.

Hope things are going well for you. We are finally entering PGY2. I am hoping this year will be MUCH better than the last. At least we can enjoy some home call and my hubby setting some of the schedules!

Talk soon!

Comment

Hi Kelly! Welcome to the board! I look forward to getting to know you!

My husband is an almost 3rd year medical student at KCOM. To get him to admit his very deepest heart's desire, he'll say that he would love to be a trauma surgeon. Fortunately for me, he started medical school at 33 years old & feels like the wear and tear on his body to start doing trauma surgery while in his early 40's would just send him over the edge. So, he's found other things that will make him happy without the abuse. I am oh so very thankful for that fact!

Wendy

Comment

Working...
                    X