Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Intro ( 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

•  Intro ( 1

New here. My husband-to-be is matching into anesthesiology this Thursday. Supposedly this is a "lifestyle" specialty, hopefully this is true. We're getting married 2 weeks after graduation. I'm not dreading the start of his internship yet but after reading some posts here maybe I should be. I work in consulting and do a lot of traveling. Between that and the stress of residency, we're obviously going to have to work hard at prioritizing quality team with each other. Been living with my fiance for the past year after having dated for 4 years. So far things have been wonderful. Can't think of anything else to say now. Looking forward to Thursday, hopefully he won't match somewhere in the boonies...

-Axin

Welcome, Axin!! How you must be counting the hours until Thursday! You have found a wonderful place to come and vent during those not so great (and great) times!

It sounds like you are very busy with your career - that should be a major plus during residency! The biggest piece of advice that everyone gave me pre-residency was to "have your own life"! I've been busy working on my master's thesis (or busy procrastinating) so I'm already slightly nervous about what I will do with my time post-thesis.

Congratulations on the upcoming marriage! This should also help make things a little easier! We got married in August and both of us have found that the "new-ness" of being married has really helped a lot over the last few months!

Looking forward to chatting with you on the other boards!!!

Comment

Hi! Welcome to the group. Everything that I have heard about anesthesiology is positive...particularly that it is very family friendly. The first year might be tough, but after that it'll get easier! You must be excited to find out Thursday where you'll be going. Will a move cause any difficulties for you with your consulting career right now? What area of consulting are you in?

Residency does have its tough times, and the group is great for venting....and celebrating the good times...everyone here is really great!

My husband just finished 7+ years of residency/fellowship and when I look back it seems like it just flew by...it really does.

I look forward to getting to know you

Kris

Comment

Welcome, Axin

We also did the graduation, get married, move thing. It made for an interesting first few months, that's for sure.

I'm Jenn, my husband is a 2nd year peds resident (another 'family-friendly' specialty- or so says the advertising). Having something else to do is critical during the internship year. I work as the director of a company that has Group Homes for adults with developmental disabilities.

The only advice I have at this point is to enjoy the moment!

Welcome-

Jenn

Comment

Hi there!!! Welcome to the boards. I am in the same boat as you waiting for Thursday. My husband is going into anesthesia too so I am hoping for the "good lifestyle" also. I know I keep hearing things about internship year too but I am still optimistic that MY husband's program won't be that bad!!! Where are you hoping to match to?

I really like all of the places that my husband ranked so I will be content with most of them. There is only one that I am hoping isn't it!

Just to introduce myself ... I am Robin and currently live in sunny Arizona. I have four boys that keep me busy along with working at home doing medical transcription.

You sure have a busy time ahead with the wedding and residency coming so soon. Are all your plans going well? It sounds like your career will keep you well-grounded through the whole residency experience. Good luck and welcome!!!!

Robin

Comment

Welcome Axin! I agree with Jenn, that having something on your plate helps during residency. That could be a job in or out of the home. Personally, we waited until the end of residency to have children, and being a mom is much harder than the job I had!

Janet

Comment

Welcome Axin. My hubby, Matt, matched last year in Anesthesia. He is almost finished with his intern year. I will admit it was tough at times, and we are definitely looking forward to this next year. Matt will be going to UW-Seattle for Anesthesia, and is currently at Univ of CO- Internal Medicine for his internship.

The way I thought about it is- 1) I had my "own" life while he was doing the internship, and 2) I kept reminding myself that it was for only one year.

I will keep those of you who are matching in anesthesia posted as to whether or not it is better than the intern year.

Crystal

http://www.geocities.com/mattfowler_md
              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Hi Axin--

I too am waiting for the fateful day tomorrow (12 hours!) when my husband will match in internal medicine. I can certainly attest that having my own life--I run programs in a community health center in Massachusetts--has made all the difference during med school. It makes me a bit anxious about moving to somewhere where I'll lose this wonderful job. But we did make the rank list together, so it's partly my own doing...

I'm pretty new here to the forum but have felt so welcome so quickly. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and good luck tomorrow. What a time this is!

Kate

Comment

Axin,

Happy Match day!!!! I hoped that it turned out for the way that you hoped. Please let us know the big result!

Welcome to the boards. As a recent survivor of the intern year, I look forward to chatting with you!

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome Axin,

I hope you match where you want!!!! I look forward to getting to know you. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Axin,

My wife switched from a surgery residency to one in anaesthesia many years ago so she could have more of a life -- and appears to have had no regrets. From what she tells me, it is very helpful to know that when she goes home at night, they all become someone else's patients. Even when she is not on-call, there are tines when she'll phone in to give follow-up advice on a patient -- but that's the exception not the rule.

I'm Steve from Canada. Have a great wedding. Welcome to the group.

-- Steve

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. We ended up matching in San Diego. It was our 3rd choice after Boston and Manhattan, but we're really excited (and a bit nervous). We certainly won't be yearning for Boston during the winter We have another year in NJ for internship before we head out to Cali.

Lots to think about... my company has a branch in Orange County but not in San Diego. All of our clients are pharmaceutical companies, so perhaps I can transfer to the Orange County office and get projects in San Diego. Have to discuss this with my boss in the upcoming months. Maybe I'll have to find a new job... at least we have a year to sort these things out.

Did anyone else in the forum make a cross country move? How much did it cost to ship your car? If anyone is from San Diego, do you know of any affordable places to live between Hillcrest and La Jolla? I hear that Pacific Beach is "reasonable" by Southern California standards. Should we even entertain the thought of looking for a condo? I've heard you can't find much for under $90,000.

Comment

Hi Axin,

Congratulations, I would love to live in San Diego. My brother lived there for three years and was very happy. Where in NJ are you?

Luanne
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Axin-

We are getting ready to make a part-country move in about 3 mos. with a (at the time we move) 5 month old baby!

Matt and I are moving from Denver to Seattle- 1331 miles or a 22 1/2 hour drive. We are loading up a Ryder truck, and Matt will drive the truck, while Emma and I take the car. Luckily, Matt's parents are going to help us with the drive.

Two of Matt's classmates matched in Anesthesia at San Diego. They will start this summer. I will try to find their email addresses and find out what they are doing for housing.

Crystal
                            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Axin,

Here is a little piece of trivia you can tack to the end of the my earlier post. The real reason I'm glad my dw switched from surgery into an anaesthesia residency is . . . if she hadn't we would have been living in opposite ends of the country and probably would never have met. With my wedding anniversary fast approaching, I can't help but wax a tad nostalgic.

Have a great wedding.

-- Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X