Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What a great place!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a great place!

Hi, I am the wife of a 3rd year student who after doing a rotation in surgery is loving it. He likes the general/trauma surgery and selfishly it's hard for me to take. I know nothing is final yet but it's the one rotation he has loved being at. Even if he's at the hospital at 5am. Anyone in my situation? Also- when are people starting families? I want kids, and a few so when is the best timing?

Hi there! Welcome aboard! As far as the kid question, it is a common one...sombody that can recall or repost the thread for you will be along soon I'm sure ...in the meantime try your best to enjoy the ride, and post often!

Comment

Hi,

I'm Kelly, a wife of a seventh year in training general surgeon with plans to do a fellowship next year. If you can steer your hubby in to anything else that he will find acceptable, do so.

BTW, are you at the U of MN?

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome -

You're not selfish. I agree w/Kelly - try steering him towards other things, especially if you want a family. My dh did his intern year in GS and then switched (thank God!).

As for the "when to" question - it's one of the most FAQ on this site. Browse through the Parenting forum or use the Search function to find the posts on it.

BTW: the usual consensus is 'do it when you want, b/c there is no "perfect" time.

Comment

Hi and welcome!

Kelly wrote:
            If you can steer your hubby in to anything else that he will find acceptable, do so.
            Think seriously about this. Picture your DH's schedule now and imagine yourself doing it for at least 5 years. Then picture being a "single parent." This is just a fraction of what you'll have to deal with if your husband goes into surgery. Read these boards -- have him read these boards...private message some of us. Get as much info as you can before your husband decides that "surgery is for him."

If he can be happy doing anything else, he won't be happy in surgery because he'll have no life for years.
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Welcome and I'm not going to jump on the "talk him into somethine else" bandwagon - My DH is in neurosurgery and LOVES it, he is lucky to have a job that he truly loves, yes our life pays for it but if he's truly happy you can make it work.

Kelly asked if you're at UofM, if not you're probably at my location.

Welcome!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Thank you!

I wanted to answer Kelly- yes we are at the U-Twin Cities. I would love to get a group together of spouses from the area. I am involved in AMA Alliance which is the spouses but because the group is made up of mostly women who's husbands are much older... well, none of them work and have all their meetings during the weekday. I have been trying to get a group together of students and residents but it's difficult. Any suggestions or people in my area?

Comment

Welcome. And I feel your pain. DH always knew he wanted to do ortho but had an open mind to other things and as third year he went through each rotation and hated each one until he got to surgery then he did his ortho elective and was hooked. We are in the process of applying for residences now and it is so stressful. We have 2 kids. We had DS in undergrad and DD during second year. The right time is when you have them. We have friends who came to med school with 2+ kids, some who had them in all the years, to friends who have had 2+ during residency. It is a challenge but you make it work. Welcome again and ask away.

Comment

Working...
                  X