Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Like/Dislike/Thanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like/Dislike/Thanks?

I don't know where to post this and I hope it doesn't come across as anything other than an attempt to be helpful, which is my intent. To be helpful and to encourage substantive discussions in the forums.

How does our community feel about the like/dislike/thanks feature? Personally, I dislike it and I'm wondering if it impairs deeper communication here. If I post something, I don't know if it's liked/disliked or if the person whom I'm trying to help is grateful for my input if someone clicks like/dislike/thanks until I'm sitting in front of an actual computer. I post and then...crickets. I don't know if I've offended someone, if my post has been seen, etc. For all I know, 100 people could be on the bandwagon with me or 100 people could be rounding up a posse. I'd love to see more comprehensive responses like "I agree, and..." or "I disagree, because..." or even "thank you."

Thoughts? And please don't respond by like/dislike/thanks.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Like/Dislike/Thanks?

I only use mobile so I don't usually see them...

ETA I should have mentioned that I agree

Comment

I think it was put in place to provide more interaction, not less. I think there were already crickets on a lot of posts - my guess is that's a result of the move to mobile. It's just harder to post on a phone - you are only going to deal with typing if you have something substantial to add.

JMHO

ETA: FWIW, I never look to see if anyone has hit like, etc on a post I've made. I usually see that when I notice that my notification number is growing, but it's probably only once every few weeks. (Which is also why I'm so bad at seeing and returning PMs!)
      Last edited by Sheherezade; 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
        I think it was put in place to provide more interaction, not less. I think there were already crickets on a lot of posts - my guess is that's a result of the move to mobile. It's just harder to post on a phone - you are only going to deal with typing if you have something substantial to add.

JMHO
        Right, but my point is that it provides less interaction because it's an endpoint to the communication. For instance, I say, "I like peanut butter." You click "like." I don't see that until I log into my lap top three weeks later. End of discussion.

Before, it went more like this: I say, "I like peanut butter." You say, "Me too! Have you tried it with kumquat jam?" I say, "I prefer strawberry." Someone else says, "I don't like peanut butter but I love almond butter.".... and so on
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Mostly I use them to say I like something that might have been an off topic discussion -- like Lily's laziness crack, there. Funny stuff always gets a Like from me, but I'm not likely to post "That was funny" or LOL.

My vote is I can take it or leave it. I agree that it's cluttered and doesn't add a lot. I'm not sure we'll see discussions take off if we get rid of it, though.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Mobile user - so I don't use it
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I don't really have an opinion either way. I almost exclusively post from my phone, so my only response to it is "WTF?" when I login on my laptop once in a full moon and see the assload of notifications.

Comment

my only response to it is "WTF?" when I login on my laptop once in a full moon and see the assload of notifications.
                Me too! And then I anxiously look to see if I've missed a PM.

I've been poking around to see what the guest users can see when they are here to try to get at what holes the spam registrations are exploiting. I was surprised to see that Top likes, etc. is a chart available on the homepage of the forums. I'd never even known it was there.
                Angie

Comment

I like them, don't really have a concrete reason why. Sometimes I don't feel as though I have anything substantial to say, but I want to show support. I am almost always on an actual computer.
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                    I like them, don't really have a concrete reason why. Sometimes I don't feel as though I have anything substantial to say, but I want to show support. I am almost always on an actual computer.

This exactly.
                    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I pretty much ignore them and find the notifications annoying. I've missed PMs too. How do you turn off the emails again?
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Weird, I don't get any notifications for likes/dislikes/thanks, etc.
                        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I stopped getting notifications for these too...

Comment

Actually I haven't seen one in a week or so
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I haven't received any notifications in a while. I sorta like it. But I agree with like/dislike/thanks. Unless it can show up on phones somehow, I don't use it.
                              wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Working...
                              X