Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

NCLB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCLB

How does everyone feel about this? I'm struck by the fact that I talk to *no one* that supports No Child Left Behind. Yet, I do not hear any rumblings in the news media that the upcoming renewal will be voted down. How can that be?

I'd like to find out everyone's opinion on No Child Left Behind - and ask if you would be willing to send word to your congressman/senators about your opinion.

I'm planning on writing to mine today to let them know how I feel - and I may start drafting the neighbors as well. Honestly, it's just crazy that this act should keep passing because it is "pro-education" when so many educators and parents think it sucks.

But I could be wrong......
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Can someone post a good link that really describes it in laymen's terms? I'm not sure I fully understand it.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

So now we have to *understand* something to be against it?!

*sigh*

I'll look for a link.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Us "no children" people haven't experienced it!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It's good for me to actually read the pros and cons. I just hear all the cons from other parents and teachers. It would be nice to find out the other side of the story, too.

Thanks for keeping me honest.
          Angie

Comment

my sis sent me this:

http://www.janebluestein.com/articles/football.html

No Child Left Behind:
            The Football Version

Author Unknown*

l. All teams must make the state playoffs, and all will win the championship. If a team does not win the championship, they will be on probation until they are the champions, and coaches will be held accountable.

2. All kids will be expected to have the same football skills at the same time and in the same conditions. No exceptions will be made for interest in football, a desire to perform athletically, or genetic abilities or disabilities. ALL KIDS WILL PLAY FOOTBALL AT A PROFICIENT LEVEL

3. Talented players will be asked to work out on their own without instruction. This is because the coaches will be using all their instructional time with the athletes who aren't interested in football, have limited athletic ability, or whose parents don't like football.

4. Games will be played year round, but statistics will only be kept in the 4th, 8th, and 11th games.

5. This will create a New Age of sports where every school is expected to have the same level of talent and all teams will reach the same minimal goals.
            If no child gets ahead, then no child will be left behind.

We must become the change we want to see.
            —Mahatma Gandhi

*With thanks to my friend, Valerie Ford, who forwarded the above message in an email. If anyone knows the author, please contact me so I can attribute this appropriately. Thanks.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

That pretty much sums up what I know about it, with the addition I found this morning that all phone #'s and addresses of students must be made available to military recruiters.

It appears that it was based upon what was considered "success" in Texas, but then turned out to be fradulent in many cases after the fact. Schools padding the numbers in order to get funding, etc.

The teachers end up having to teach to the middle, focus on math and reading to the exclusion of other subjects.

Gotta take the kiddo to school ... I'll post more later.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                Us "no children" people haven't experienced it!
                Well, I have children and I haven't experienced it!!!

Thanks for the information, Michele.
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Believe it or not I don't agree with it and I have sent messages to my representatives.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I hate no child left behind, and so does every teacher in my family. More later, but it is an awful policy that helps no one and hurts most.

http://nochildleft.com/2003/jancov03.html#index
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                    X