Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

are you a liberal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you a liberal?

i found this on valueMD. i thougt it was interesting, so i dragged it over here. thoughts?

http://www.dennisprager.com/areyouliberal.html

Are You a Liberal?

It is my belief that about half of the Americans who call themselves liberal do not hold the great majority of positions held by mainstream liberal institutions such as the New York Times editorial page, People for the American Way, and the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. So here is a test of this thesis to be given to anyone who believes he or she is a liberal. If you feel I have omitted a liberal position or have unfairly characterized any of them here, please email me. This is still a work in progress.

Thank you,
    Dennis Prager

You say you are a liberal.

Do you believe the following?

Standards for admissions to universities, fire departments, etc. should be lowered for people of color.

Bilingual education for children of immigrants, rather than immersion in English, is good for them and for America.

Murderers should never be put to death.

During the Cold War, America should have adopted a nuclear arms freeze.

Colleges should not allow ROTC programs.

It was wrong to wage war against Saddam Hussein in the Gulf War.

Poor parents should not be allowed to have vouchers to send their children to private schools.

It is good that trial lawyers and teachers unions are the two biggest contributors to the Democratic Party.

Marriage should be redefined from male-female to any two people.

A married couple should not have more of a right to adopt a child than two men or two women.

The Boy Scouts should not be allowed to use parks or any other public places and should be prohibited from using churches and synagogues for their meetings.

The present high tax rates are good.

Speech codes on college campuses are good and American values are bad.

The Israelis and Palestinians are morally equivalent.

The United Nations is a moral force for good in the world, and therefore
    America should be subservient to it and such international institutions as a world court.

It is good that colleges have dropped hundreds of men's sports teams in order to meet gender-based quotas.

No abortions can be labeled immoral.

Restaurants should be prohibited by law from allowing customers to choose between a smoking and a non-smoking section.

High schools should make condoms available to students and teach them how to use them.

Racial profiling for terrorists is wrong -- a white American grandmother should as likely be searched as a Saudi young male.

Racism and poverty -- not a lack of fathers and a crisis of values -- are the primary causes of violent crime in the inner city.

It is wrong and unconstitutional for students to be told, "God bless you" at their graduation.

No culture is morally superior to any other.

Those are all liberal positions. How many of them do you hold?

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

I see this as a list of statements designed to bait people. I'm sure a similar list could be made of "conservative" positions. I don't think it's a helpful conversation. I think this type of article encourages more division in our nation.

I'm tired of it.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

The whole premise is a bit wacky. Why does Dennis Prager get to define liberal? He states all this like it's factual.

And is liberal some kind of club people are vying to get into? I know a lot more people who shy away from the term even though they clearly fall far to the left than I do people who "call themselves liberal but do not hold a great majority of the positions."
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

i didnt post it to be argumentative.(sp?) sorry.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Oh Sylvia....not mad at you!!!

I'm just really tired of us all banging our heads against the wall politically. I think we have been duped by both parties to stay divided -- and that's made it hard to move forward on anything. My venom is aimed squarely at the pundits, parties and politicians that practice this crapola. I just feel like the guy on Network......."I'm mad as hell - and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!" (Annie, insert photo here :> )

Not you. It's interesting actually. He's spun it so there is no good answer of course. It's classic pundit.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm not mad, either. I am kind of annoyed with Dennis Prager, though.
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Ack. Dennis Prager should be in the Wikipedia article on annoying.
              How oversimplistic and stereotyping can you be?
              What a bunch of hooey.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                Our 7th grader took a short quiz at school to define whether they were conservative or liberal. Its part of a simulated House lesson.

She answered 100% conservative...we are so proud! :ra: :ra:

Sorry, a bit off topic but I just had to share, we must be doing something right.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

cute

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                    I see this as a list of statements designed to bait people.
                    I agree. I consider myself to be a conservative, and have been a card-carrying member of the Republican party for the past 14 years, but there are many "conservative" positions that I don't agree with. Mainly, I don't identify with the "religious right". I'm pretty much fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I think it is healthy to be able to identify with a political group, but also make your own assessments that may not agree with the party's position.

I hope that makes sense, I'm not thunking too clearly right now. :z

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                      I see this as a list of statements designed to bait people. I'm sure a similar list could be made of "conservative" positions. I don't think it's a helpful conversation. I think this type of article encourages more division in our nation.

I'm tired of it.
                      The list is pretty accurate as to which side more famous "liberals" have taken in different debates.

I think the point was more like: Can you reconcile your own feelings on each of these subjects with the modern "liberal" belief system? In that way it is a good list to think about. I think the same kind of list could be made of "conservative" belief systems - and it would also be a good list to think about.

I agree, most people are a mixture to some degree of "liberal" and "conservative". Some people more to one side and some just can't decide!

Tangent: It is a common misconception that 1)our nation is more divided politically than it has ever been and 2)that's a bad thing. The truth is that our nation has been this divided since the days of Jefferson and Hamilton. We've had dirty politics going all the way back to the Founding Fathers. Heck, Lincoln and his party were hated greatly by half of the country - and disliked by most of the rest! And, this adversarial system is not a bad thing - it's part of the checks on government within our democracy. There is SUPPOSED to be gridlock in Congress. That was the point.
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I hope to brainwash my kid as well...

Comment

you crack me up!

Originally posted by pstone
                          I hope to brainwash my kid as well...

Well said.
                          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I tried to brainwash mine. The are both liberal, but close to moderate and not as EXTREME as I am.
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper
                              Mainly, I don't identify with the "religious right". I'm pretty much fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I think it is healthy to be able to identify with a political group, but also make your own assessments that may not agree with the party's position.
                              Same here. And yes, you're making sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X