Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Texas governor orders STD vaccine for all girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll do some more research on it.

It just seems so....weird.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
      I wonder if the data suggests more vietnamese die from cervical cancer because....they don't get regular testing done/treatement until it's too late...or if genetics may play a role? defer to angie
      Can I answer anyway? I think it falls under the health disparities issues -- access and treatment sort of things. Although there may be other factors as well. The CDC website has good info on health disparities. I don't know if this link answer specifically why Vietnamese wome have the highest rate.
      http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/healthdisparities/index.htm

For example, cancer health disparities can involve biological, environmental, and behavioral factors, as well as differences noted on the basis of income and education.

re: strains...I think it is several of the strains and varying effectiveness for each. At least that is what I think I read this weekend.

Comment

I'm not trying to put myself out there, but what the hell.

I got HPV (one of the strains that this vaccine prevents) from my SO, who had no idea he had it. It wasn't until his ex girlfriend called him to tell him she had it and she thought he should know. Lo and behold, I tested positive when I went in to get checked the next week. Pre-cancerous cells, cut out... painfully. I have to go back all the time to get it checked out now. Imagine having to deal with that (with a relatively new boyfriend, no less) and knowing that it may NEVER go away. I didn't do anything promiscuous and I didn't get raped. Sometimes, that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Men can get the HPV from girl who has it and both of them may be clueless, even if they were in a serious relationship. Men don't know they are carriers and it's very difficult to test them for the particular strains that cause cervical cancer. So... thinking we were safe... and we weren't. If I was only 3 years younger, I may have been lucky enough to not have to deal with this now and potentially forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa
          You know, I forgot that HPV was actually a collection of different viruses. Thanks for the reminder!

So, I have a question if anyone knows the answer: Is the new vaccine effective against all of the strains or only some (or, even one)?
          http://onthepharm.net/2006/09/gardasil- ... 31-45.html

Looks like Gardasil may be effective against more than just the four most-prevalent HPV strains (16, 18, 6, and 11): it’s showing promise against strains 31 and 45 as well.

HPV types 16 and 18, which are directly targeted by Gardasil, are responsible for 75 percent of all cervical cancer. But scientists found the vaccine also induces an antibody response capable of neutralising strains 31 and 45, which together account for another 8 to 9 percent of cases.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot
            HPV types 16 and 18, which are directly targeted by Gardasil, are responsible for 75 percent of all cervical cancer. But scientists found the vaccine also induces an antibody response capable of neutralising strains 31 and 45, which together account for another 8 to 9 percent of cases.
            That's what I read. Thanks!

Comment

If guys are giving this to girls at least in equal numbers (to vice versa) then why aren't ALL kids (male and female alike) being vaccinated manditorily? Why only target one potential group and ignore an entire group of carriers? That makes no sense to me....
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Boys will be included in the CDC recommendations later. No trials were done on males to test the vaccine safety. They are in progress now. Males are indeed the vector for HPV - and it would be sensible to vaccinate them as well. (This is one of DH's big problems with the current program too....why not the boys?)
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                  (This is one of DH's big problems with the current program too....why not the boys?)
                  Most likely because TPTB don't think us "little people" will understand why boys should be getting a vaccination for a cancer of an organ that they don't have. Almost like they're afraid we'll think of it as kind of akin to girls being vaccinated for prostate cancer.

I'm not sure if they're vastly underestimating people or preparing for the onslaught of the almost willfully ignorant.

Comment

I listened to a discussion about this on NPR today. It sounds like this is a very pricey vaccine, which may also be part of the reason they're not mandating it for boys.

They also said that while mandating it is causing a stir, it also helps to provide funding for the populations who need it the most. If it were considered optional then government funding wouldn't be available and insurance carriers may or may not cover the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                      They also said that while mandating it is causing a stir, it also helps to provide funding for the populations who need it the most. If it were considered optional then government funding wouldn't be available and insurance carriers may or may not cover the expense.
                      That's kind of why I figured they were talking about making it mandatory in Texas. Once it becomes required, that opens up the floodgates of funding for the underpriviledged to receive it. (Which is usually the demograph that will forgo healthcare if under or uninsured.)

Even if it's made "mandatory" people can stilll get out of the requirement by signing a waiver stating that injecting their child with it goes against their religion, principles, etc. I say make it mandatory and let those who are against it just sign those stupid waivers and be done with the debate.

And, this is way off topic, but can I just express my undying love for NPR?

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve

Even if it's made "mandatory" people can stilll get out of the requirement by signing a waiver stating that injecting their child with it goes against their religion, principles, etc. I say make it mandatory and let those who are against it just sign those stupid waivers and be done with the debate.

That makes sense to me.

And, this is way off topic, but can I just express my undying love for NPR?
                        I don't know about undying love but I really really like it too.

Comment

Here's my take on the situation-

1) Anyone who has sex with a person who had sex with someone else is a potential candidate for HPV. One of my very closest male friends (a 'good Catholic' boy) had a very serious girlfriend who had HPV and he honestly didn't know that he could get it and pass it on.

2) I'm still working on the demographics of the women who have been pregnant and received methadone treatment. I would say easily half of them started abusing some sort of substance by AGE 11. Along with the substances, other risky behaviors started and most have had multiple pregnancies, with multiple children in foster care. These are the girls who need this vaccine. These are also the same girls who have more than likely been sexually abused, mostly by relatives or friends of their family. (the cycle starts: abuse, drinking and drugging to self-medicate away the guilt, shame and anger, pregnancy, child born into risky home life and boom- it happens again)

So let the upper class richie-rich parents throw their hands in the air that Heather and Amber and Holly wouldn't do those sorts of behaviors but good lord, get these poor kids some protection.

Jenn

PS- more than likely, these kids also aren't covered by the fabulous CHIP programs which have been slashed- if their parents make more than 16k in some places, they're not eligible for insurance. They get their shots for school and that's about the extent of preventative care. No dentists or doctors unless they are seen in the emergency rooms which as we all know are now the primary care clinics for a vast number of poor people.

Comment

Did anyone catch the debate on this on the Today Show? I just saw the very end. The Today medical contributor Nancy Snyderman (sp?) was for making it mandatory and there were 2 other women who were against it. One said there wasn't enough research on it yet and the other said you should be able to opt-in not out.

If anyone else saw the whole thing, let us know.

Comment

I didn't see it but you can watch it on their website:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I do try to see both side usually, but I just can't believe people have a problem with this. I just can't imagine telling your daughter that you did not get the vacine to prevent her cancer because you thought it would make her believe she could have sex....boggle.

Comment

Working...
                                X