Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Full disclosure vs. religious ojections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full disclosure vs. religious ojections?

Values Play Into Treatment Recommendations, Study Finds

By Rob Stein
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, February 8, 2007; Page A09

Many doctors believe they have the right not to tell patients about treatments that they object to on moral or religious grounds and to refuse to refer patients elsewhere for the care, according to the first study to examine physicians' views on such situations.

In the survey of 1,144 doctors nationwide, 8 percent said they had no obligation to present all possible options to patients, and 18 percent said they did not have to tell patients about other doctors who provide care they found objectionable.

Based on the findings, the researchers estimate that more than 40 million Americans may be seeing physicians who do not believe that they are obligated to disclose information about legal treatments the doctor objects to, and 100 million have doctors who do not feel the need to refer patients to another provider.

"They are a minority of doctors, but it's fairly substantial minority," said Farr A. Curlin, a bioethicist at the University of Chicago who led the study, published in today's issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

The survey was prompted by an intense debate over medical workers who refuse to deliver care that runs contrary to their moral or religious beliefs, asserting a "right of conscience" or "right of refusal." Some pharmacists, for example, refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control and emergency contraceptive "morning-after" pills. Some doctors and nurses refuse to participate in abortions, prescribe birth control pills or withdraw or withhold care from dying patients.

The refusals have led to bitter clashes between medical workers and patients around the country. Dozens of states have considered legislation that would either require medical workers to deliver all legal forms of care or protect those who refuse. The issue is expected to intensify as medicine continues to move into controversial areas, such as therapies based on embryonic stem cells.

Curlin and his colleagues mailed 12-page questionnaires to 2,000 physicians from all specialties in 2003 asking them if they had objections to three controversial practices -- sedating dying patients to the point of unconsciousness; prescribing birth control to teenagers without parental consent; and performing abortions after failed contraception.

Of the 1,144 who responded, 17 percent objected to "terminal sedation," 42 percent objected to providing birth control to teens without parents' consent and 52 percent objected to abortion after failed contraception.

When the researchers asked the doctors about their sense of obligation when patients request such procedures, they found that 86 percent felt obliged to present all possible options. But 6 percent were undecided and 8 percent felt no such responsibility. Sixty-three percent felt it was ethical to tell patients about their objections, and 18 percent felt no duty to refer patients to another doctor. Eleven percent were undecided.

Male doctors and those who described themselves as religious were the most likely to feel that doctors could tell patients about their objections and less likely to believe doctors must present all options or offer a referral.

"It's a difficult issue," Curlin said. "Patients understandably expect to have access to legally permissible care and expect their doctors to provide legally permissible and medically accepted medical interventions. At the same time, at the foundation of medical ethics is to not do what you believe to be unethical. I think that leaves a difficult dilemma."

Curlin said the findings indicate that patients should be aware of the possibility that their doctors may object to providing certain care and that they should question them about that.

"I think doctors have an obligation to disclose information to the extent that is required to be respectful to patients," Curlin said, adding that he did not believe they were "obligated to help patients obtain things they have strong feelings of conviction that should not be obtained."

R. Alta Charo, a bioethicist at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, said the results were disturbing, particularly the belief by a significant proportion of doctors that they do not have an obligation to inform patients about all options.

"How are patients supposed to make choices when they don't even know the range of choices that they have?" Charo asked. "Failure to inform completely disables a patient. It makes it impossible for them to even know what to ask or whom to ask or where to go to ask."

But Al Weir, director of Campus and Community Ministries for the Christian Medical & Dental Associations, defended doctors' rights to adhere to their personal beliefs.

"The doctor has the right to follow their own moral compass and their own moral integrity," Weir said.

You know, I think this is one reason DH and I have drifted away from the church since he started residency. Our church doesn't beleive in a lot of things that DH feels are important to his work in healing people and because of that he questions a lot of the things our church teaches. This coming from a doctor who grew up catholic, went to catholic school until college and for the most part is a "good kid". DH feels his priority is his patients and whether he agrees with something morally shouldn't be an issue in their care.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

So, opinions?

Where do you think the physician's obligation to ensure that the patient knows all possible treatment options starts and ends?

Personally, I want to know that my physician is presenting me with all of the options available. In fact, I'd really like it if my physician said- here are your options. These are the possible outcomes for these options. My religious beliefs prevent me from performing (recommending, believing in, etc) option XYZ but I think you need to know all possible options. If you choose XYZ I will not be able to continue treatment but can refer you to a colleague who does XYZ.

Jenn

PS- in no way shape or form did my mother know when I went on birth control pills at 15. and there's no way that I would have told her if that was the only way to get them. I was (and am) of the opinion that it was my body and my choice to prevent pregnancy in the event that I decided to have sex. (yes, I was on bcps well before I even had a boyfriend. I was that paranoid- we'd all heard stories of the flying sperm that jumped off the pants of the boy during the make-out session...)

Comment

I agree with you Jenn, they should tell us all of our options and we should be able to make our own decisions.

I can speak to the situation I'm going through right now. Everyone knows that the chance of multiples increases with fertility treatments. When we started this whole process our doctor sat us down and explained everything to us in great detail and said that if I produce too many eggs in a month they will cancel the cycle due to too high of a chance of multiples and the complications that come with that. If I were to get pg with multiples of any number (even two) they have made it clear they will cover all of our options with us as I think they should. They will also tell us if they find any malformations during testing so that we can make the "decisions" we need to make. These are doctors who spend their lives helping other people have babies and I'm sure it pains them to give someone the option of aborting child and to have them take that option but they do their job, and give the patient that option.

As they should. Now I'm sure there are patients out there who don't want the options b/c they would never think of aborting but I think its responsible of the doctor to make all options available where they agree with them personally or not.

As for BCPs - I too was on them before I was 16 but because of cycle issues. Come to find out I probably couldn't have gotten pg if I wanted to, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
          Personally, I want to know that my physician is presenting me with all of the options available. In fact, I'd really like it if my physician said- here are your options. These are the possible outcomes for these options. My religious beliefs prevent me from performing (recommending, believing in, etc) option XYZ but I think you need to know all possible options. If you choose XYZ I will not be able to continue treatment but can refer you to a colleague who does XYZ.
          I think the above is really the most ethical option for a physician with moral or religious prohibitions against certain actions (such as medically unnecessary abortions).
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

As for minors and medical decisions - unless there is evidence/allegations of abuse by the parent or the minor is emancipated I believe that medical decisions should fall to the parent (after all, until legal maturity or emancipation the parents are held legally liable for their minor children - therefore if they are liable for problems they are entitled to decisions - barring abuse).
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Regarding abortion, I know DH discusses it with patients and describes the various procedures, but I don't know that DH presents it as an option, unless the patient brings it up......but really, does anyone NOT know that it is an option? I will have to ask him. I know that he has counseled patients who decide to get abortions for one reason or another, I just don't know how it gets brought up. He will not do them, and he will explain why not IF a patient asks, but he doesn't preach to them.

About birth control for minors, that is an interesting question and I will have to ask him about that, too. I know that he believes it is inconsistent to be anti-abortion AND anti-birth control, and I know he has teen-age patients on birth control, but I don't know if any of them came in on their own.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

ITA. However, I do NOT believe that a physician should be in ANY way required to perform all legally available treatment. That, to me, is like saying all kids should pray in public school. I have asked SO about abortions and even though he (and I) support their legality, we don't necessarily support the idea, and if asked to do one, even during rotations or residency, he has said he would say no. I think he should every right to that stance.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss November
                  ITA. However, I do NOT believe that a physician should be in ANY way required to perform all legally available treatment. That, to me, is like saying all kids should pray in public school. I have asked SO about abortions and even though he (and I) support their legality, we don't necessarily support the idea, and if asked to do one, even during rotations or residency, he has said he would say no. I think he should every right to that stance.
                  I think I've told the story before about how DH was involved in an abortion without knowing when he was a medical student. The cheif resident was VERY apologetic (she thought the younger resident had told him) and let him leave the room and made sure he was never put in that position again.

Comment

[quote=Suzy Sunshine]
                    Originally posted by "Miss November":620a0
                    I think I've told the story before about how DH was involved in an abortion without knowing when he was a medical student. The cheif resident was VERY apologetic (she thought the younger resident had told him) and let him leave the room and made sure he was never put in that position again.[/quote:620a0]

I do remember that story. I think I've heard stories where the residents were not so understanding.

Comment

Personally, I want to know that my physician is presenting me with all of the options available. In fact, I'd really like it if my physician said- here are your options. These are the possible outcomes for these options. My religious beliefs prevent me from performing (recommending, believing in, etc) option XYZ but I think you need to know all possible options. If you choose XYZ I will not be able to continue treatment but can refer you to a colleague who does XYZ
                      Jenn I agree 100%. I'll go one step further, if they don't do this I believe they should not be able to practice. Purposely witholding treatment and knowledge of treatment is criminal.
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                        Personally, I want to know that my physician is presenting me with all of the options available. In fact, I'd really like it if my physician said- here are your options. These are the possible outcomes for these options. My religious beliefs prevent me from performing (recommending, believing in, etc) option XYZ but I think you need to know all possible options. If you choose XYZ I will not be able to continue treatment but can refer you to a colleague who does XYZ
                        Jenn I agree 100%. I'll go one step further, if they don't do this I believe they should not be able to practice. Purposely witholding treatment and knowledge of treatment is criminal.
                        ITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                          I agree. Of course I don't think they should be forced to perform procedures they find morally repugnant, but they can't hide the fact that they exist.

But what about pharmacists? Do you think they have the right to refuse to dispense certain drugs b/c they disagree w/it?

Comment

I do have a problem with pharmacists refusing to dispense medications. That's their job. and there may be compelling reasons why a person is taking the medications as ordered.

The morning after pill is a primary example. What if the female in question was raped. What if she's physically unable to bear children but able to get pregnant? What if she is taking medication like accutane and had a birth control malfunction?

there are so many reasons why a person might take something that I don't think it's the pharmacists job to decide what is right or wrong. or if they feel that strongly about it- then they need to go work somewhere that wouldn't prescribe such things in the first place- like the local church affiliated hospital pharmacy.

Jenn

Comment

I hold all persons who provide healthcare and hold a license to the same standard.
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X