Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Quadriplegic Med Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quadriplegic Med Students

As the spouse of a neurologist, I have to say that he could do it without use of his limbs. So much of neurology IS just using your brain.

I wouldn't expect a doctor to quit work if (god forbid) they were injured a la Christopher Reeve. Maybe they couldn't do surgery or deliver a baby but some of the more cerebral (excuse th pun) doctoring could be done.

But...residency could be a PITA for her fellow residents- someone would have to be there to help during those rotations when she needed to use her limbs. Probably provided through the ADA but still.

Jenn

Ouch. That's tough. Certainly, I think there is no doubt that a quadrapalegic could not be a surgeon. I think a quadrapalegic should probably be limited in his/her field choices. As horrible as it is, there are just some functions they could not perform. Is your assistant going to tap the right place for reflex tests? The cost also would seem prohibitive. I would think that a quadraplegic could maybe be a patholigist or radiologist, but even then I am skeptical. Doctors in respective fields who have become disabled after-the-fact often lose their livlihoods (gotta get that disability insurance!), and if not they become managerial doctors performing tasks that do not directly involve patient care.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I would have said "no," until one of dh's med school friends suffered from a stroke (while in medical school). He's doing a radiology residency, and gets shit done with his one arm and hand.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Even in pathology it would be hard to imagine. Residents have to cut their own samples (ie - the surgeon cuts it out and sends it to you, you have to cut it and make slides from it) - as do attendings who practice in a small town or small hospital, perform autopsies ... even the simple act of changing to the next slide would need to be automated.

But, Jenn is right, and the ADA probably requires accomodation for it. If the person has the brains for it, then there should / could be a capacity or level at which it could work.

Comment

Part of me says that she should be able to do whatever she wants, but part of me also knows that if I'm blind, I can't drive a school bus.
          My train of thought exactly. I would think there would be something else she could do without so many accomodations needing to be made, but still using the same skill set.....PhD type stuff. At some point, you just have to play with the hand you're dealt, you know?

Was she accepted?

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I ran this by dh. He said his med school was sued for not accepting a blind person. :!

Again - totally agree w/Lily and Sally on this. You want it to work, and were I in their situation I'd want to be given access to as much as I thought I could take on. But there is a tipping point ...

Comment

I know of a similar situation, he is a radiologist and a damn good one. He needs his eyes, and is able to do his job with only his eyes. Since he must re ly on his eyes it seems as if this one sense has been hyper-perfected.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

The idea that anyone can do anything is beyond silly PC, some things are beyond the reach, skill, or ability of everyone. Luckily there are lots of jobs, fields, careers to find the ones that fit you or that you fit.

Comment

This reminds me of Thomas Quasthoff who was born with birth defects because his mother had been taking drugs to combat her morning sickness. He was initially not allowed to graduate with a degree in music, because in Germany, one needs to play 2 instruments. This was not possible for him, because he does not have use of his hands. He has a beautiful voice , although he may not have the projection of an taller individual. Same with Perlman. Beautiful violinist, but lacks projection because he is not able to fully stand.

Didn't get to finish this. So, my point is. Give everyone out there a chance.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'd rather not have a blind surgeon, a deaf police officer, or someone else who simply is not physically able to do their job.

As nice as it is to remember that disabled people (such as Beethoven) can produce beautiful music - the reality is that in a profession such as medicine safety of the patient is the most important issue.
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                    X