Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

all the good stuff: sex, violence and guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all the good stuff: sex, violence and guns

OK, I only got a few pages into the sexualisation of the media thread before I wrote this, but I am really interested in an issue that was discussed there back on about page three, so thought I'd start a new thread.

Back in the old one, Kris wrote

Here in the USA we aren't afraid to show every level of violence imaginable in movies/cartoons etc...but an ad for condoms, a pregnant barbie *gasp*, or sex scenes are waaay taboo.
    I have to say that this is something I have observed too. Sex in and of itself is not something that offends me. Objectification of women DOES. But even more so, violence.

As an example, I used to be a huge fan of the series 24. But this latest one has just got too much. The extreme violence and torture that occurs in every episode is unbelievable. However, the odd thing is that the characters never so much as swear, and there's not even a hint of sexual activity. Personally, I would much rather my child accidentally come across a loving sexual scene than someone being tortured or shot any day. I am interested in this Puritanical phenomenon. Is it really such a shocking thing to advertise condoms on TV when people can be graphically and gruesomely tortured several times in a single show?

Now, I know that this next comment may open a can of worms for some Americans (remember that it's different where I come from! ) but from an Australian perspective, I see a huge contradiction when people oppose sexualisation in the media, but find nothing wrong with owning a gun, and I think that this is a part of the same issue. Guns are used to shoot and kill! Unless you are a farmer or a professional sportsperson, may I ask why you would ever want one of these in your home, when they increase the risk of accidental death so greatly? I'd like to understand this.

Just a few controversial thoughts - I'd love to hear yours.

Sorry - I hope that didn't come across as a what's wrong with America thing. They were more questions to satisfy my own curiosity.

There is far too much violence and sexualisation in the media of most (non-Muslim, perhaps?) nations. The types of rapes for example, that are shown so often on Japanese TV, I have perhaps never seen the likes of elsewhere. Women in those shows never seem to manage to fight back convincingly or successfully. There's plenty of sex on TV here too - but I do wonder if the attitude towards sexuality is a bit different in Australia, perhaps born of the ideals of a nation descended from convicts?! On the other hand, though, many of the shows we get are from the US, so it was in that vein that I formulated my previous questions. I too, would dearly love to see shows with some functional relationships!

The gun thing though, is peculiar to America, and I have long been curious as to why people are so keen to keep that part of the culture alive. Has no part of the Constitution ever been altered? (Excuse this next bit of complete ignorance, but isn't an "amendment" a change?)

Comment

Maybe a good show about the trials of a resident spouse?

Plot: All work and no play (no sex and no violence becase too tired)

Man, who would not watch that?

Sorry if this Hijacks....

So my issue with all of this is multi-fold.

1st. Yes, way to much violence and sex for raising a child, I can't even watch the nightly news with the little one around. I just feel he does not need to see it yet, and sex...well he is so young I don't think he can even start to get it, but I don't let him see it either.

2nd. I think Pollyanna said it eats away at our fiber. Well the problem I have with that idea is why does sex and violence win? I mean if it is so bad why isnt' it easy for 'the other' way to trump. What is missing in our lives that keeps wholesome and healthy images from drowning out the sex and violence?

3rd. I think that sex and violence probably makes for a good show because for the most part it is what not in our daily lives and thus 'entertaining' to watch (entertaining as in novel) I surely don't have violence in my daily life, and the kind of sex protrayed on TV is clearly not that of a married couple with kids and residency. (please say it is not just me)

4th. Why religion fails. Okay I think that the reason 'wholesome' ideas and 'religion' fail to captivate is because it is dogmatic and unevolved for thousands of years. Religion is a myth, a way to see the world and bring meaning to it. When myths fail to evolve and grow they become stale and lose effect. The parables of the mustard seed and the like don't mesh with everyday experience, allow religion to evolve and perhaps violence and sex won't be the biggest draws.

Gulp

Comment

Back to the gun thing ...

I am not a fan of guns, would NEVER own one, and do not understand the mystique.

Gun ownership can happen safely. There are "sportsmen / women" who enjoy hunting (I am not one), and guns are part of that. Others simply enjoy target practice. Responsible gun owners will have a gun safe, and the weapons will be locked up. I don't feel that a gun can be in the home for protection in both a safe AND effective manor. Most people who say they keep it for protection also keep it unloaded, with the shells in seperate space. If you truly did need it for protection, than how does an unloaded gun help? I honestly see that as a recipe for disaster.

People are always afraid of the "slippery slope" ... if we limit the kinds of guns you can own, then soon we won't be able to have any at all!! I think that is absurd, and wish we could successfully pass real gun control.

As for American reaction to sex vs. violence ... I don't know. Honestly it's probably b/c a huge fuss about too much violence would make us look like a nation of wusses ... and you know the U.S. of A can't be seen like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve

People are always afraid of the "slippery slope" ... if we limit the kinds of guns you can own, then soon we won't be able to have any at all!! I think that is absurd, and wish we could successfully pass real gun control.
          ITA!!! Why can't we outlaw handguns for people NOT in law enforcement?

Using guns once a year for hunting is WAY off my radar and I don't get it AT ALL -- however, it can be done safely.

Handguns/assault weapons are used to shoot people. Hunting rifles are statistically used for hunting animals.
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
            Originally posted by Flynn

ITA!!! Why can't we outlaw handguns for people NOT in law enforcement?
            Because of the 2nd Amendment to or Constitution.

And outlawing guns is not the solution. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms 90% of violent crimes do NOT involve guns. 93% of guns used by violent criminals are NOT obtained lawfully. There are more guns laws on the book than you can shake a stick at more laws will not solve the problem. Taking away civil liberties is a slippery slope no matter which way you cut it.
            It has always baffled me why we need guns in the first place. If we live in a civil(ized) society, why do we need this right? It seems like something antiquated.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I think that sometimes we can have so many *rights* that it causes everyone to have less freedom. Does that make sense?

Laws are set up as rules for behavior in a society...why is it wrong to have rules that outline that only certain kinds of guns (hunting, for example) are legal. We have rules in schools, churches and there are laws against killing etc on the books...I see no problem with tightening up the rules/law governing the uses of guns.

This isn't the wild west anymore....
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                This isn't the wild west anymore....
                Exactly. I have a lock on my car, an alarm on my house, etc. And homeowner's insurance.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

The right to have a gun is not a law, but an ammendment to the constitution.

The bill of rights (10 ammendments) are not set in stone, they could be abolished and removed within the system of our govenerment.

Clearly there are not enough votes, motivation, etc. to make this happen so it is a right to bear arms.

We don't own guns, nor can I imagine we will but the beauty is if people don't like it then they can change it.

If we wanted we could remove any of the ammendments to the constitution, relgion? speech? assembly?

But in closing, we should be careful to think 'our society' is perfect and will be here forever. Who knows what 50 years will bring.

Comment

Keep in mind I'm from Texas, so my views on guns may be a little different from the rest of the country

Both myself and people in my family are into marksmanship. I haven't practised in years, but I would like to get back into it. I have only hunted quail, and probably won't hunt anything larger because I am too lazy (and grossed out) to do the cleaning and dressing!! I am in the process of finding a shooting range, and looking to take lessons for both riflery and archery. I just think it is fun. I might actually win something (entering contests) with this, as opposed to running, which I can assure you, I will never come home with a medal!!!

I was taught gun safety as a child. We always kept our guns locked in safes which my dad kept under his bed. The shells were locked away in a safe in another room of the house. My dad cleaned his guns after every use. I learned to shoot when I was 8 years old. I think the reason so many people are freaked out by guns is that they have no experience with them.

I don't know what the solution to violence would be other than long-haul, hard solutions like better education, more job opportunities, more vocational training for high school students, less poverty, pride in oneself, etc. Of course, the above takes time and work, you can't just throw money or make quick-fix legislation for this problem. That's why DH and I are involved in Big Brothers/Big Sisters- it takes everyone doing something to fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X