Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Most angioplasty procedures unnecessary???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most angioplasty procedures unnecessary???

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news ... nnecessary

This broke a few days ago and just wanted to post something on it. Apparently the drugs are just as good if not better than the stents. This really is going to cut into the "turf" of ICs. I have the same concerns regarding drugs with DWs field.

What are you toughts?
    Husband of an amazing female physician!

DH and I have some time together today and I plan on asking him his take on this.

Granted, he's a surgeon through and through but he's always said "we'll pay the price as a society for all these unecessary stents in the future."

I'll email him the article before I log off!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Actually this came out earlier this year. It's just that one of the big cards conferences was going on this week, and the media always runs w/ the big presentation of the day...so this hit the air waves again.

I always send DH articles from on-line, as well as the links to the TV/radio media coverage, on stories like these, because I figure this is the stuff his patients see/hear read and may ask him about.

Bottom line he said he's not too worried about it. His patients are told about their options. Decent ICs will know which cases are better left untouched, which ones to give to their CTS guys, and which ones they should do. My DH said you'd be surprised by the amount of patients that will insist they would rather have the procedure (cath) over prescription drugs!!!??

Comment

My DH said you'd be surprised by the amount of patients that will insist they would rather have the procedure (cath) over prescription drugs!!!??
        I believe this is because we are 'taught' (incorrectly) that surgery is the best way. Quick fix, lose weight, fix your heart, etc...

I bet they don't go down in number, which will mean lots of Docs care more about billing (hospitals too)

Comment

OK...I'm such an airhead today that I was sitting here thinking "Well, of course most nose jobs are unnecessary" DUH, Kris..that's rhinoplasty....

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

OK...I'm such an airhead today that I was sitting here thinking "Well, of course most nose jobs are unnecessary" DUH, Kris..that's rhinoplasty....
            ...oh kris...are you tired???

Comment

Okay I'm going to chime in here.

This is a LAYERED discussion. There are no pat answers here.

There are basically three ways to treat a blockage: drugs, stents, and surgery. In order to get to a surgeon, more than likely you go through a Cardiologist which is a non-surgical speciality. CT surgeons get a LARGE amount of refurrals through cardiologists and cardiologists do the procedure known as stents.

Drugs are very effective for a percentage of people with a blockage. The article that sparked this debate proves this as well as countless others (see the NE Journal of medicine in the last three months). This is nothing new in the surgical community.

Surgery (CABG) is still the best option for a multi - vessel blockage. I have countless articles to prove this but they are all 10 pages or longer...didn't want to post and bore the heck out of you!!! Interestingly the mortality rate for a stent and surgery is the same -- about 2% but as a patient, if you hear "stent vs. surgery" what are you going to choose? The doctor plays a HUGE role here with what the patient has done. HUGE.

Many times the Cardiologist decides whether the patient needs any of these options: drugs, stents, or surgery. This is without consults from other specialities. Stents MAY fix the issue for life. The article provided for this debate proves that drugs are extremely effective for a percentage of patients. Without other issues, surgery does fix the issue (blockage). There is a place for stents. Absolutely.

Are stents overused? (it does seem so based on countless articles)
              Why? (it makes a ton of money for the hospital, patients seem to want this procedure, and it's fun to do?)

It seems to me that drugs should be at least tried before any other action is attempted assuming this is a responsible choice for the individual patient. It is up to the doctor to guide the patient and give them all the relevant information.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

DH is going into cardio-thoracic imaging (non-interventional - "officially" though he's been focusing on this for awhile now) so we also had quite an interesting discussion about this - particularly given the politics between cardiologists and ct radiologists - interventional and noninterventional.

Mostly he just chuckled.... And, pointed out for the sake of fairness that the study was funded by pharm companies (and the stent companies would have nothing to do with it).

But, his other thoughts - well, I'll just leave that alone. It's the internet after all....
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                X