Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations

I think the standard vaccination schedule is overkill, especially for breastfed babies who are getting their mother's immune factors through the milk (and *especially* those whose lifestyles don't expose them to any of the diseases being vaccinated for). That said, I vaccinate on the standard schedule because I don't trust myself to come up with an acceptable alternative. I'd prefer to delay and/or space the shots out.

My ped, by way of confirming that I would be having Edward vaccinated as usual on his six month appointment, said "The standard schedule has us giving four shots this time." The slight emphasis on "standard" makes me wonder if he does support alternative schedules -- I think I'll ask next time, as doing it with the ped's guidance would make me more comfortable.

The autism controversy makes me nervous about the MMR shot. I guess I've got some research to do over the next six months.

EDIT: On Gardasil, I agree with the article. In principle, a "cervical cancer vaccine" is awesome. In practice, you're injecting a cocktail of goodness knows what antigens and adjuvants that's been minimally tested. I'm not sure I'd get it for my daughter, not yet.
    Alison

I had to say several times that I didn't want my kids to get Hep B at birth. Mmy kids and I are not in a high risk group for that. What is wrong with waiting 2 months?

For me, downsides to an alternate are more trips to the pediatrician and probably pushing some shots to them being older (more traumatic, IMO).

I'm glad my two oldest had chicken pox. There have been a number of kids in our neighborhood who got the disease despite getting the immunizations.

Comment

It's funny, Tara. I have been consistently questioned about whether it was "real" chicken pox. I guess I can see them asking because it is more unusual now and can be mis-identified. But I have told them 3 times now and that my husband is a dermatologist. I think he got it right!

The office in Denver didn't want us to bring her in to confirm the chicken pox. It was within the window of being caused by the vaccine but the PA told me that it wasn't the cultured ( not wild?) type because that was "rare." So...that means it doesn't happen?

The office here said we should have brought her in to confirm the diagnosis and have it as part of her record.

Oh well! They aren't getting boosters.

Comment

We had a rather unique situation and thankfully a Pediatric Clinic Director who thought outside of the box.

We had the Russian vaccination records but other adoptive parents have found out the hard way that they're not necessarily correct.

Rather than depend on Russian documents (which we had translated anyway) we had titers run, had him retested for Hep B and HIV and had him rescreened by cardiology, ENT, and the speech therapist.

The titers came back positive for exposure to chicken pox, measles and mumps. We assumed that they were through vaccinations because it matched our translated documents. We had him vaccinated immediately for HepB and something else that I'm blanking on now. What we didn't do was get him any of the MMR vaccines. She didn't want to over-expose him and there's no way to separate them anymore. (well, I guess you can order it but it's complicated and unnecessary in her opinion)

We also had to treat for the Giardia so he was dealing with a lot his first few months home. and he was also prescribed Synthroid because he had funky bloodwork which was assumed have been caused by malnutrition. He took synthroid for a year.

He didn't get anything more until his two year appointment and I think he got the MMR shot at that time. She was super conservative w/ the shot schedule which was funny because we were always seen by the peds residents first. They'd freak out and go to the preceptor who inevitably would go see the Colonel. It became quite the learning scenario for the residents, that's for sure.

He's on track now.

As for the HPV vaccine, I think I would probably vaccinate if I had a daughter in the 12-18 year old range. I had sex for the first time at 15. and nope, my parents didn't know.

Jenn

Comment

We decided to do everything except for Varicella. The way that vaccine was developed is to lessen the disease, not necessarily completely prevent it. However, last time we were at the pediatrician, the nurse administered it without my consent, so DH and I decided we will complete the series. For Gardisill, I'm happy that we won't have to worry about that decision for a while - I want more data before I decide. We've seen a huge spike in this area of mumps and pertussis, so those are the two that I am most concerned we stay on track with.[/i]
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

To each their own, but I say lets not bring back polio and small pox.

Seriously, it is easy to look and say, "oh this might not be perfect." or "1 in 100,000 has a problem" but it is without doubt that vacines have saved almost countless lives, helped countless people and societies.

No link between MMR and autism has been shown, and they took out the (I cant spell it therimsol) or mercury part.

Vacines save lives, there is no way to dispute that fact.

Comment

I fully vax all of my kids. I am more laid back about the timing, though. I tend to run about three months behind the "normal" schedule - and sometimes as much as six months!

At the moment all the kiddos are up-to-date and all have had varicella as well.

I must admit varicella is one I hesitated on and I'm still not sure about it....

We do flu immunizations every year like clockwork. I have one child with more severe asthma and I am often preggers OR have a tiny baby so I think it is a wise little investment in our health and my sanity.

I agree about holding off on the HPV vaccine. I kind of wish I had held off on the varicella and I think I'm going to learn from that "mistake" this time around. If, after a number of years it seems pretty benign and does what it is supposed to do, then, we'll see.
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fully vax all of my kids. I am more laid back about the timing, though. I tend to run about three months behind the "normal" schedule - and sometimes as much as six months!
                This describes me 100%.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm kind of on the other end of the spectrum. It seems like my kids are always sick (Seriously, someone has vomited in our house at least once a week for the last three weeks). I'm always like, "Do you have any extra vaccines back there that you're holding out on me?"

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Ours is fully vaxed - pretty much on schedule. One of DH's soapboxes is the "MMR shot/mercury causes autism" topic. When people bring it up.....it's not pretty!
                    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by samssugarmomma
                      One of DH's soapboxes is the "MMR shot/mercury causes autism" topic. When people bring it up.....it's not pretty!
                      I just don't understand why some people are so convinced of a link between the two. As far as I know, there have been no peer-reviewed studies that suggest a link between the MMR and autism. Without the MMR shot, a child is more likely to get one of the MMRs than autism. I just don't get it.

As an aside but related topic, one of my former co-workers contracted the mumps several years ago. She was not vaccinated because she's older and it was not available when she was a kid. It still exists.
                      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Daegan was 2 months behind and I got some flack for it. I was told that his preemie immune system wasn't developed and he needed the protection, but from my understanding of immunology, you actually need a functioning immune system to mount an appropriate response!

But I also figured that since dad is an intern there is a whole slew of crap he's exposed to, so I better protect him. (I figure breastfeeding counts too! ) And as such Daegan did get the rotateq one too (even though I thought it was overkill).

Like Peter said, vaccines do protect us and I tend to think about herd medicine. The overall herd immunity helps protect individuals.

But at the same time I don't necessarily agree with vaccinating to "limit the clinical course" which is what some vaccines are meant to do (the rotavirus and chicken pox ones come to mind)....especially if the clinical course isn't that bad to begin with.

My dogs get their distemper, hepatitis, parvo and parainfluenza every 3 years...and rabies every year now (grrr.....louisiana law). But I don't vaccinate for kennel cough....and I don't go out of my way to vaccinate for lepto or lyme. If they were around cows or in the woods with lots of ticks I'd change my plan.

I'm going to be a bit more selective from now on.....but based on what I perceive Daegan's risks to be...dad who works in the hospital and being in daycare.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

fully vaxed on time. Believe in them. HPV? Jury still out on that one. Need more info.
                          Needs

Comment

we do all shots.

but, with dd #1...they stopped doing the HEPb at birth...and waited until the one month check up.
                            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Can anyone shed some light on why babies are given Hep B on the day of their birth? This seems pretty crazy to me, though I am aware that this is what is commonly done. I got my Hep B series right before college, when I was at the sexually active age. I understand it for sexually active pre-teens/teens, but why are babies given it, especially if the mother had her Hep B series?

Comment

Working...
                              X