Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Doctors refusal of patient care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors refusal of patient care

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19190916/

The article is very long, but if someone wants to post it here, by all means.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

i read this a while ago. it is a touchy subject, me thinks.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Dr. Gish is a piece of garbage. One should not be doing rape kits unless willing to prescribe the morning after pill. How embarassing and traumatic for her. The first thing that the doctor should discuss with a woman in this situation, the potential need for the morning after pill. If she wants it, then the religeous doctor needs to recuse him/herself and have another willing physician perform the exam and kit.

This is terrible.
      Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker
        Dr. Gish is a piece of garbage. One should not be doing rape kits unless willing to prescribe the morning after pill.
        I had the same reaction. What a douche. I totally get that doctors are human and we should have respect for their values when/if they differ from our own. But they should have respect for and not judge those with values different from their own.

Pulling in another physician to prescribe the necessary meds to the rape victim is in no way making him perform an action against his beliefs. Not calling in another physician is withholding the standard of care and inexcusable.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot
          I had the same reaction. What a douche. I totally get that doctors are human and we should have respect for their values when/if they differ from our own. But they should have respect for and not judge those with values different from their own.
          ESPECIALLY when the creation of the need for such a pill is due to a rape! C'mon! It's not a night of drunken sex that she wants to make sure doesn't turn into a pregnancy.

Comment

Definitely a hot topic. I wrote a paper on this topic in Grad school, focused on the Pharmacist who refused to fill the prescription written by a physician/Nurse Practitioner/Nurse Midwife..

My opinion: If you have a license to fill a Rx written by a licensed professional, fill it or give up your license. You do not get to pick and choose. I see anyone who walks in my exam room, period. I do not pick, choose or judge, and I expect all of my colleagues to do the same.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

If he had such a moral dilemma about prescribing the morning after pill, then by all means, he should have had someone else write the prescription and kept his feelings about it to himself. Geesh!

I went with my friend to an ER so she could get the morning after pill when the condom broke when she and her husband were..uh-hem...anyhow, the people in ER treated her so supsiciously about it. They kept asking if she'd been raped. They were so hesitant about her request to have that pill since she hadn't been raped. They wouldn't give her the pill there but did write a prescription so she could go to the pharmacy to get it.

Doctors and pharmacists must treat and serve their patients without judgement.

Comment

Working...
              X