Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

michael moore's "Sicko"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michael moore's "Sicko"

this probably could have gone in the universal health care thread...but i started a new one instead. i may actually watch this. i never did see farenheit 911. any plans to see this movie?

By David Ansen
    Newsweek

June 22, 2007 - Whatever you think of Michael Moore—and who doesn't have an opinion?—the man has an impeccable sense of timing. His newest polemic, "Sicko," takes aim at our disastrous health-care system at a moment in the national debate when even the die-hardest boosters of free enterprise acknowledge that major changes have to be made, if not the free universal health care that most Western countries offer, and that we resist.

The "we," as Moore takes pains to show us, are the drug companies, the hospital industry, the bought-and-paid-for politicians and the health-insurance companies, the latter being the true focus of this alternately hilarious and heartbreaking screed. This time around, Moore spares us the spectacle of himself storming the offices of his villains, his camera ever ready to capture their clench-jawed embarrassment. He's more concerned with the victims—not the 50 million uninsured, but the much vaster numbers who have private health insurance, and suffer for it. We see their harrowing personal stories: the couple who have to sell their home to pay their medical bills; the woman who had to be rushed to a hospital in an ambulance who is then told—with a logic worthy of Kafka or Groucho Marx—that she can't be reimbursed for the ride because it wasn't pre-approved; the woman who lost her husband to cancer because her insurer deemed the surgery he needed as "experimental." And on and on, in one pungent vignette after another.

Moore traces the origins of this mess back to a 1971 meeting—astonishingly caught on tape—in Richard Nixon's White House, at which the president expressed his approval of Edgar Kaiser's proposal to maximize profit by offering less care. Driving home the modus operandi of the insurance industry is the angry, guilt-ridden congressional testimony of a former Humana Corp. medical director, who lays out "the dirty work of managed care," which rewards its employees for saving the company money, not for helping its patients.

Is "Sicko" one-sided? You bet. The globe-trotting Moore compares our broken system with the free health care offered by Canada, France, England and—in what has already become his most controversial flourish—Cuba, where he takes a group of 9/11 rescue workers for help they can't get at home. Because he paints in broad, simple strokes, his overly rapturous depictions of these systems are bound to raise skeptical eyebrows. (It's not hard to find horror stories in any country.) And even though you can easily imagine the Cuban's licking their chops at the PR opportunity Moore affords them, who could not be moved by the tribute the Havana firefighters pay to the American rescue workers who have come to their land for treatment?

The opponents of free health care love to raise the ominous specter of "socialized medicine." Why, Moore asks, in a very funny montage that turns a Soviet musical propaganda movie on its head, do we readily accept free schools, libraries, police officers and firemen but blanch at the idea of free medical service? Adopting his faux-naif, aw-shucks persona (still effective, if getting harder and harder to swallow) Moore, just as he did in "Roger and Me," asks us to contemplate the dark side of the profit system. And the thesis that ran through "Fahrenheit 9/11"—that the powers that be use fear and intimidation to keep us docile and compliant—informs every frame of his movie. The difference between France and the United States, one observer provocatively suggests, is that in France the government is afraid of the people and here, the people are afraid of the government.

It will be fascinating to watch Moore's enemies have a go at "Sicko." Certainly he leaves himself open to criticism. To make his point that the French don't have to be overtaxed to pay for their government-paid health service, he shows us the comfortable lifestyle of one happy French bourgeois couple. This does not exactly qualify as a rigorous argument. But if Moore can be irritating, he's also indispensable. I think this time around a lot of people who don't cotton to the filmmaker's politics are going to find themselves lining up on his side. The simplicity of "Sicko's" argument is also its power. It asks us, as Americans, a few basic but haunting questions: Who are we? What have we become? The follow-up question is left unstated: What are we going to do about it? Let's hope "Sicko" helps us come up with the right answer.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

We're planning to see this. We just had a huge long discussion about it the other day. DH's field of research interest is (broadly speaking) access to health care, he's actually a proponent of universal health care. I think Michael Moore tends to inject too much of himself and his own opinion into his "documentaries," but on the whole I usually enjoy his films and the discussions that they spark.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Actually, I heard a review that said for once he's not 'in' the film. I'm pretty sure we'll see it- although I have more than enough relatives living it.

Jenn

Comment

We're both interested in seeing it. I enjoy MM's sense of humor, and I know this movie will get people talking!

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
          I think Michael Moore tends to inject too much of himself and his own opinion into his "documentaries," but on the whole I usually enjoy his films and the discussions that they spark.
          I agree. Like Sally, I enjoy his sense of humor but I also realize that he has his own way of spinning things. I didn't seen Farenheit 911. I think the last one I saw was Roger and Me. By the end of Bowling for Columbine, I wanted to send him a big package of subtle.

Comment

I will definitely see it.

I do think that his movies ( and Al Gore's) are basically propaganda ( though I agree with a lot of it). I believe our healthcare system and the environment are pretty )(*&(& up but I think movies could be made from a completely opposite view using research, experts in the field, and sad stories as well.
            Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I've heard (via a reviewer for NPR at Cannes) that he's not as over-the-top with this one.

Comment

We will see it, and we tend to agree with him.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Actually- he tried to get them into Havana and when that didn't happen, he tried to get them into Gitmo.

His argument was that Americans should have at least the same level of medical care as the Gitmo detainees. Why should you be a professed terrorist and get excellent medical services when Joe Blow American can't access the same?

Jenn

Comment

I really want to see it. He was on Jay Leno the other day and apparently it is not going to be as one sided as some of his other documentaries have been perceived. He said something like he wants it to appeal to everyone because illness does not care if you are democrat or republican.

Comment

"Britney RN" gave Frank and crew the word. Couldn't actually read much further with the "Franks" of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                        Geez, I'm SO shocked my post at the sicko link didn't "pass moderation". NOT.

It ended with "for all the people who are treated by my husband and his peers around this country, for all the people who complain that they waited two hours in the ER to see someone about a stupid toothache, and for anyone who proclaims on this board or anywhere that healthcare practitioners don't care and would rather you were dead, I say YOU'RE WELCOME."

I shot down everything these people complain about, including the laughable "The government doesn't want you to know!" b.s. - I said, anyone who says that clearly doesn't know any govt workers, because I can guarantee that they don't give a good g_d d*mn what you do or don't know. I also pointed out that this medical resident averages about $8 per hour and that we are paying off student loans which funded his education so he could treat these whiners. And of course I threw in that resent the hell out of everyone who does nothing to take care of their own health and expects my husband to work miracles when they crack 400 lbs and have a foot rotting off from diabetes, or shoot each other in the face during a game of cards because they're high, etc. Yes, DH has treated both of those scenarios.

I agree that the health system is broken, but I'm also SICKO of hearing how anyone who is in healthcare, medicine, insurance, and pharma are the antichrist. :soapbox:

That said, I've figured DH's hours this week. In five days, he's worked 97 hours.
                        I so agree. And, I know your pain. I suggest not adding up the hours. I've stopped for the most part, really. I used to write them all out and andd them up, and it just keep pissing me off more and more and more. I don't accept it now, but I try not to dwell on it. Adding them up S.U.C.K.S. and it pulls the life right out of you with each hour that is on your tally sheet.

It stings like hell because almost no one, even some here, do not understand. Noncompliant residencies are out there, with a force, all over the country, and there is jack and shit we can do about it. It makes me want to hurl.

I feel you. You have every right to be pissed.

Just wait until you unload at the cashier at the local grocery store who is so tired because she has been working since 10:00 a.m.

But, yes, I don't know how to fix healthcare, but it isn't at the level of doctors where this is broken. Doctors, for the most part, are highly caring and compassionate people who take on a training road that most people couldn't even imagine. They just have no idea. I would be interested to take a survey of an average population and find out just what they think an average resident does and makes for it.

I know people are always shocked when they see my dh driving his 97 Cavalier with no a/c. Yes folks, no a/c in SC. It would cost $1000 to fix. More than the cost of the car. But, who am I kidding, that's pocket change to a dawkter.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Geez, I'm SO shocked my post at the sicko link didn't "pass moderation". NOT.
                          Ridiculous, huh. Anyone as far left as M.M. doesn't want dialogue - period. Even sadder is that the board wants to appear that it is encouraging dialogue.

Even before you posted about how they censored your post, I was a little suspicious about the posts. In the brief glance I took, some didn't seem to pass the smell test e.g. some looked like serious sock-puppetry. In particular, the diction of some posts was off-kilter.

Some poster would write college-level prose and then insert something like "hot check" for $50. It could all be kosher, but I imagined someone furiously typing (summer intern from Earlham college let's say) playing the role of a mother who can't foot a fifty dollar check.

Just odd. Made me think someone was writing for the cause who hasn't experienced the fifty dollar crisis.

Perhaps I'm too cynical?

Comment

We saw this today and liked it. It's the usual take it all with a grain of salt and then easily poke holes in it afterward, but we enjoyed it.

The average age of the audience had to be like seventy years old and all the handicapped-accessible seating was full. Appeals to people who are heavy users of the system, I guess.

The first twenty minutes or so are really sad (and actually the first three minutes or so are gross--shows an uninsured guy sewing up his own gashed knee at home, but that's the last squeamish part of the movie) and after the first little bit I was thinking "I hope this isn't just two hours of family after family being ruined by lack of healthcare" but really he's just establishing the problem and then he starts bringing in less wrenching and funnier stuff (though there are emotional parts punctuated all the way through).

I thought it was pretty funny and laughed quite a bit. He's still as over-the-top as ever (the whole Cuba part was wild) but this one is less confrontational. His other movies have this whole thing of trying to make himself and others look like an ass on camera, and he hardly does that at all in this one. I agree that he had "lightened up" a little in this one.

I was also relieved that doctors don't get much blame in this one at all. In fact, it's stated pretty overtly that doctors should make a nice living (he has this whole bit with a London doctor and how despite working in a National Healthcare System he's doing well financially, and that's presented as a good thing).

Also, did you see this in The Onion poking fun at Michael Moore tactics?

http://www.theonion.com/content/infogra ... is_weekend

It's funny how even a parody of Michael Moore stunts are still not as stunt-y and gimmicky as the stuff he thinks up and then does himself. He's crazy.
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We saw this last weekend, and I agree with Julie's post.....in fact, I could have written it, almost word for word, down to the average age of the audience we saw it with. DH and I have been having interesting conversations about it ever since. He HATES turning people away who can't pay, and would love for there to be some kind of system that allowed him to care for everyone and still make a living. *Note to J Hussey: I think MM might have a little bit of a thing for Hillary, too! There is a montage in "Sicko" that I think you will enjoy.

Sally
                              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                              X