Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

cancelled memorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cancelled memorial

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20221295/?GT1=10252
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

You know, if organized religion wants to ban gay people- whatever. But if they really knew he was gay and then cancelled his memorial- it's one of those times when I HOPE there really is an afterlife...

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
      You know, if organized religion wants to ban gay people- whatever. But if they really knew he was gay and then cancelled his memorial- it's one of those times when I HOPE there really is an afterlife...

Jenn
      what she said.

Comment

Well, it wasn't all organized religions...it was just this church. I am familiar with this church (we lived in Dallas before residency). I can't say I'm surprised, but I am saddened. This is not what Christian love and charity is about. I would hate to think that they speak for all organized religions...or even all Christianity.

Let's say, arguendo, that homosexuality is a sin. Ok. Even so, here's the problem--the way I see it--in doing what that church did: it decided to pick and choose which sins they feel comfortable enough with to ignore and which are "bad enough" to warrant the church's disassociation. What about someone who is an adulter? A liar? A thief? An abusive spouse? An inattentive parent? Will the church permit memorial services for straight folks who commit these sins? If so, that seems quite hypocritical and morally arrogant. If not...then who exactly do they expect to be able to memorialize? Most people, I'd venture to say, have committed some sort of sin. Christian funerals are about God's love, redemption, and the affirmation of eternal life by being alive in Christ. Not about what sins you committed while you were alive. At least I hope not. Otherwise, I'm going to be totally screwed at my funeral.

Where's the Christian mercy and the expression of hope for the gentleman's eternal peace with God? GRRR!!

:banghead:

Comment

I think that, if the church made the commitment to have the man's memorial service, they should have upheld their promise. They wouldn't have to mention any of the things that were sinful or against their teachings during the service - and they could make that a condition of holding the service. Simply cancelling it outright DOES seem extreme and mean-spirited. There was a middle ground here that would have allowed the church not to compromise on its teachings AND have allowed the family the promised memorial.
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
            -in doing what that church did: it decided to pick and choose which sins they feel comfortable enough with to ignore and which are "bad enough" to warrant the church's disassociation. What about someone who is an adulter? A liar? A thief? An abusive spouse? An inattentive parent? Will the church permit memorial services for straight folks who commit these sins? If so, that seems quite hypocritical and morally arrogant. If not...then who exactly do they expect to be able to memorialize? Most people, I'd venture to say, have committed some sort of sin.

Very well-written!

Comment

Working...
            X