Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Public handicapped restrooms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public handicapped restrooms...

The dudes and I had to use a public restroom today and out of habit we all went into the handicapped stall. When we came out I smiled at the lady who was waiting and turned to usher the boys out behind me. I was expecting the usual, "Are they twins?" comments but instead the lady hissed, "Oh yea, you really look handicapped." I turned back around and realized she was in a wheelchair.

I realized, as I analyzed the situation later, that oddly enough I didn't feel remorseful in any way... I was ANGRY.

I'm still trying to figure out why I reacted that way. Luckily I held my tongue, but a part of me wishes I would have said something back to her. I'm just not sure what... and every comment I think I could have made echos with another that doesn't allow it to be justified.

Does she think she should never have to wait to use the restroom? Maybe her handicap doesn't allow her to wait...

Did she not realize how much easier it is to corral young children into the same stall? Maybe she was unable to have her own...

Should non-handicapped people use handicapped stalls? (Do you use them?)

My first instinct is that this woman was completely out of line. It's not like you were in there for hours (I presume ), I can't imagine that waiting a few extra minutes was that much of an inconvenience to her.

I take DS, strapped into his stroller, into the handicapped stall with me. There's no other way I could do it. If I'm by myself, though, I don't use the handicapped stall ... even if there's a line and the handicapped stall is the only one that's open. I would just feel too weird. :huh:
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Re: Public handicapped restrooms...

Originally posted by Entropy
      Does she think she should never have to wait to use the restroom? Maybe her handicap doesn't allow her to wait...

Did she not realize how much easier it is to corral young children into the same stall? Maybe she was unable to have her own...

Should non-handicapped people use handicapped stalls? (Do you use them?)
      Yeah, I probably would have apologized, but I wouldn't have felt too badly; able-bodied people have to wait for stalls all the time.

I do use handicapped stalls, but not all the time, it just depends on the bathroom and if the other stalls are in use. It's not like they're supposed to be kept open just in CASE someone happens by who's handicapped (unlike parking spaces, people aren't usually in public bathroom stalls all THAT long).

You didn't do anything wrong, don't sweat it. She was inconvenienced, yes, but if she'd been in a better mood, or if this didn't happen to be a hot button with her, she wouldn't have said anything.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I use handicapped stalls all the time and don't think twice. I like the door to swing out, so that I don't brush my pant leg against the toilet bowl. EW!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

She was out of line.

Comment

I see this from different eyes I guess. My nephew is in a wheel chair and there are times we have had to wait 10-15 minutes to get in the stall (a mother with 2 or 3 little ones will be in there). If there is a regular stall open I will always use it first. However, if there is a line and the handicap stall opens first...it is just natural to use it. I don't get upset if someone who doesnt necessarily need the handicap stall walks out of it, but I try to remember that we are able to choose from 10 stalls where they can only use one.

Comment

I don't use the handicapped stall, I wait for another to open, however this is a different case. With kids, I can totally understand. If I was in a wheelchair (and I was for 5 months after a bad car accident), it would not bother me to wait for a woman with kids to use the stall. Give me a break, as women, we all wait for stalls.

The question is: when will a female urinal be developed? Probably never, because it would be too awkward to still have conversation with your friend as she used a weird urinal. And we all know that the ladies room is really for conversation and gossip

Comment

I use handicapped stalls when there is no other open stall. I always assumed they are in place for accessibility reasons (i.e. to aid individuals who would have difficulty using standard stalls) not availability reasons ensuring a handicapped person wouldn’t have to wait. :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
                  twin preschoolers = handicap in my book. :huh: Three people cannot fit into a regular stall. Period.
                  ITA. I've never encountered this, but if there were a handicapped person in line behind me and my kid's bladder wasn't about to burst, I would let them go first.

Comment

A lot of places put the baby changing tables in the handicapped stall.

:huh:

That means a lot of times I HAVE to use that stall in order to change my baby's diaper!

I guess baby's are a handicap?
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I think she was out of line. I could possibly understand her comment if the other stalls were empty and if you were alone, but just as she cant enter a regular stall in a wheelchair, neither can you with twin boys. Maybe it could be chalked up to a bad day?

I just read somewhere that handicapped stalls should be thought of like priority use seats on buses and subways. The handicapped get first dibs, but anyone can use them otherwise.
                      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa
                        A lot of places put the baby changing tables in the handicapped stall.
                        Oh, that is a good point! I forgot about that.
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

If I have DD either in the stroller or in a shopping cart, I always use the handicapped stall. What else are you supposed to do? Leave your child alone in a public place? Leave the stall door open so you can keep an eye on your child? If she is on foot I usually try to use a regular stall but sometimes they are too small.

Now that she is potty training, we'll probably use the handicapped stall when she needs to go. I don't think that she'd like to be in there alone.
                          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

In Japan, you squat over the bowl. It's so counter intuitive if you're used to sitting. Nothing comes out, no matter how badly you have to go.

They should just rename those stalls. For people who need extra space.

If we're so picky about what's going on in the bathroom, then what about women who bring in their boys to the women's room? Just because it says "Women," doesn't mean you don't bring 3 year old Bobby with you. My mom and I brought my brother with us to the bathroom all the time. We weren't about to let him go by himself.
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Right now my thinking is that handicapped stalls make the bathroom accessable to handicapped people; they're not designed for the exclusive use of the handicapped. They get priority if we arrive at the same time of course, but otherwise, it's a toilet, for goodness sake, not a hate crime.

Heck, I've been known to use the men's single toilet bathroom when the women's door was locked. :huh: What's the big deal. A smile and a comment like "Sorry, I'm illiterate today." usually makes anyone waiting chuckle. Guys are so laid back, I love em.

Comment

Working...
                              X