Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Second-Grader Commits Suicide in New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second-Grader Commits Suicide in New Jersey

VINELAND, N.J. — Police said a second-grader killed himself in a bedroom of his family's Vineland home on Wednesday.

Authorities haven't released the name of the seven-year-old boy or that of his family.

According to The Daily Journal of Vineland, the boy hanged himself.

Click here to read the full story at The Daily Journal.com

Police said several family members were at home when he died.

They found his body after he didn't answer a call to dinner.

Grief counselors were at the boy's school.

Cumberland County Prosecutor Ron Casella told The Press of Atlantic City that his office doesn't usually talk about suicides.

But Casella said want to counter any concerns that the boy's death was a homicide or the result of child abuse.
    After reading so many posts on this board, I tend to think that some are not sensitized to the trends in our culture. However, I'd be surprised if I am alone in thinking that this occurrence does not signal a deeper social (in my opinion spiritual) problem in society. I am also sensitive with to this issue because my daughter is in second grade and is a very emotional child and kids are such copy cats.

Re: Second-Grader Commits Suicide in New Jersey

This is very sad. Not to say that this was the case for this child, but I remember reading awhile back about a new "trend" of children/teens strangling themselves to get "high." Parents were urged to talk to their children about the dangers of putting anything around their necks (by themselves or anyone else). I remember talking to my son about this. Very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
      This is very sad. My initial question would be what would make them think that his death was intentional and not an accident? :huh:
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

This is horrible and I am just keeping the family in my prayers.

My initial thought, however, is that this was likely a horrible accident. Either the child copying or trying something they had somehow seen in a movie, on TV, or heard someone talking about or the pass-out game as someone else mentioned. I know several kids were busted for doing this during recess at a local elementary school.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I came across this...

Vineland, New Jersey (AHN) - A second-grader committed suicide in his bedroom Wednesday. Police say the 7-year-old was a good student at Cunningham Elementary, and may have killed himself after receiving a bad grade earlier that day.

The name of the boy and his family were not released. However, authorities do confirm that family members were home when the boy died. His body was found when he didn't come down for dinner.

Meanwhile, administrators of Cunningham Elementary School did not provide any comment on the incident Thursday evening, but Vineland assistant superintendent of student personnel services Linda Santagata said that letters were sent home with second-grade students later that day notifying the parents of the student's death.

"Children that age may not understand the concept of death. They just know they suddenly feel sad," she said.

Santagata told the local newspaper, The Daily Journal, that the boy had a normal home life, one of the top in school and in the Gifted and Talented program, and has lots of friends.

Police said Thursday that charges will not likely be filed

Comment

How very heartbreaking. My mom was a freak about getting good grades. I used to vomit at school sometimes before bringing home a "B" in elementary/middle school (she's given up on me and written me off in terms of academic achievement by high school--thank goodness). I remember feeling completely hopeless and worthless without parental approval. I can't tell you how much it would have meant to have received a huge hug from my mom and a reassurance that she was proud of my other grades and a promise to help me where I was struggling. I mean, for gosh's sakes...it is an elementary school grade. (Needless to say, I never used "Baby Einstein" activities with DS, or flashcards, or "Boost Your Kid's IQ"-type stuff. I couldn't bear it. We just read, avoid TV (except for the news and, of course, "Meercat Manor" ), and do lots of free play. Maybe he won't be a genuis, but he won't be ing.)

But suicide never crossed my mind. That poor kid. What kind of pressure was he putting himself under?

And, as an aside...my husband...the MD/PhD neurosurgery resident...one of the smartest people I know...did TERRIBLY in elementary school! The guy used to fail "CONDUCT"!! Who fails Conduct?? That's the consolation prize for kids with bad grades (it's like the 3rd grade version of Miss Congeniality)!!

Comment

Working...
            X