Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The world has gone mad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world has gone mad.

Seriously....is this what it has all come down to? No wonder kids today are so screwed up....being PC has just run wild.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magaz ... ium-t.html

After you read this article, tell me.

Do you think that watching the cookie monster eat his cookies made you eat cookies and get overweight?

Did it EVER...I mean EVER occur to you to think that Ernie and Bert were GAY when you were 4? I always thought they were brothers until this very article.

Mr. S? A hallucination? How about an imaginary FRIEND, which many little kids have?

Oscar too grouchy? Did he teach you to be depressed or could you laugh at him because sometimes you felt grouchy too?

I want to move and start my own little country.

good gawd.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: The world has gone mad.

WTF?!

Alistair Cookie is no more because he SMOKED?!

I used to LOVE those bits, and it was even better because I grew up on *all* PBS and already knew what masterpiece theater was and who Alistair Cooke was.

I'm glad they're bringing them back on DVD; if I had young kids, I'd probably make them watch the original ones I grew up on.

ETA: About Mr. S...that was the issue; all the people who couldn't see him referred to him as Big Bird's "imaginary friend", and it upset BB because he knew Mr. S was *REAL*. That was, frankly, a little odd, looking back on it, and I'm not surprised they decided to make him visible to everyone. I still remember the episode when Bob first saw him. He was wearing stripey pajamas, iirc. That said, the weirdness of how he was presented didn't seem weird to me at 5 years old; it's not like the "rules" of how he was presented were difficult to figure out.

Don't even get me started on the whole "cookie monster goes healthy" crap. *sigh*.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Unfrickin beleivable - I loved SS growing up and never thought about any of those bad things. People need to TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY for their actions and those of their children - give me a break!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
        Originally posted by PrincessFiona

I want to move and start my own little country.

kris
        Oh Kris, if only we ran the world...

I'm going to eat some cookies and maybe take up smoking, idiot PC freaks, I have no patience for them.

And leave my imaginary friends out of this (you know, REAL conservatives, where the hell are they?)
        Love it!

Comment

Some people clearly have way too much time on their hands.

Maybe they should invest that energy in things like world hunger and cleaning up the oil spills.

Jenn

Comment

I'm with Kris. SS continues to be some of the highest quality children's programming out there. DH and I loved it as children and my kids do too. I swear SS taught DD her letters. Who imputes these distorted meanings on children's programming.

In a similar vein, I've already received the chain email from one of my more religious friends discouraging me from taking my children to see "The Golden Compass", a screen play based on a novel by noted atheist's Phil Pullman. Give me a f***ing break. I take my kids to Sunday school all the time. When questions about religion arise, I tell my kids my belief but ALWAYS follow it with "you may grow up and draw different conclusions". Recent research reveals that even Mother Theresa went through years of doubting her faith. This is part of the process. We can't shield our kids from an internal struggle for faith that they will inevitably undergo.

At the end of the day, my kid lives for sci fi and fantasy. It is a portal into becoming a competent reader for him. We will watch The Golden Compass at the theater. Get over yourselves. :soapbox:

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

[(you know, REAL conservatives, where the hell are they?)[/quote]

Right here. Welcome to a manifestation of the Nanny State. Thank god there are ivory tower, politically correct, intellectually superior people out there who will gladly do our thinking for us (and our kids), because heaven's only knows that we mere lesser beings can't be left to our own devices and judgment. We might think thoughts that aren't acceptable--like recognizing that children like cookies and it used to be very fashionable to smoke. It is far better that we peons not deal with these facts, as they might confuse us about how we should think about desserts and cigarettes.

Comment

I heard the discussion about an episode where a little girl was sitting , and crying , when a male sesame street personality walks up to her and introduces himself to her and invites her to come w/ him to his house for milk & cookies. There's no parent to ask permission from. On the episode he is taking her to meet his wife, so they can all be friends and to help cheer her up...pedophiles would love this episode today, because it teaches that friendly strangers are OK to walk off with. The other stuff is hooey, but this type of scene goes against what I teach my kids!

Comment

Working...
                X