Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fixing the Credit Card *Disaster*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing the Credit Card *Disaster*

This was touched on in a diff. thread, so I thought I'd give it one of its own.

I think something should be done about the credit card companies. We have had terrible troubles with citibank over the last few years. Here is what I experienced a couple of years back:

We do automatic bill payments online. We were told that my citibank payment was late. Interest rate? raised. Even after proving that the bill had been paid in more than a timely fashion we could not get said interest rate down. They claimed that the money came in after 2pm that day from my direct bank payment and that it was too late to be credited that day. What CRAP. We couldn't get anyone on the phone to help us and letters did not help. I was actually hung up on when waiting to talk to a manager.

Citibank rasied my rates to 30% ...Obviously, I cancelled my card. Seriously...how could they possibly raise the rates that much? I don't get it. I was in a position to pay off my balance and cancel my card. What the heck do people do when the credit card companies do things like this and they can't pay off the balance?

As soon as one company raises your interest rates, btw, all of the banks catch wind of this and start sending you "your credit information has changed, we are increasing your interest rates" letters.

My credit rating is quite good, I have no late payments and we pay over the minimum. I am not a credit risk....

In my opinion, there should be an absolute maximum interest rate that credit card companies can charge. In the UK, it is around 15%. That, to me, seems reasonable. The credit card companies have become predatory...offering initial rates of 0% or 2.9%....an then promising a 14% after a year.....But if they don't credit a payment made 10 days in advance by your bank's direct payment, they can raise the rate to 30%?

I think NOT.

If the fed. govt. was going to step in, how about taking a look at the predatory nature of these companies.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: Fixing the Credit Card *Disaster*

I don't have it in my brain to think all that clearly, but my gut says that credit card predatory practices are part of business and should be left to the companies to determine, not govt. However, I also think that as a result, there should NOT be any protection from bankruptcy for the companies if they chose a poor risk, predatory practices and then their clients go under. Sheesh, if they can reap the profit they should take the loss too. Isn't that what risk is all about? If the card cos want protection then they should submit to limits on their practices. But in general I'd rather let the co vs consumer sort it out than have it regulated.

Comment

I agree about that. I just think that there should be consumer protection too. The channels to fight these guys on their decisions are pretty much null. I'm lucky though...I just cancelled my card. I stick with my bank visa now which gives me my good rate.....but what about the consumer who is making their payments regularly on time etc and then gets screwed? Who protects them?

Kris

Comment

Well, nobody protects them. The question I would ask is why someone should? When I enter the contract the terms explicitly state that they ahve the rights to change terms at any time. I still go ahead and sign. Would a better alternative be to not have lending as an option? Jews historically did get a nasty rap since they were the only money lenders in some Christian communities. All I'm saying is don't be pissed for the worng reasons. But as I said, then there should be direct consequences for a bad risk. Loss is part of the game when you lend and gamble.

Oh, and it doesn't mean I'll stop b*tching about the cc co.s!!

Comment

But that is the question then. Should the consumer be offered rights of protection when they are mistreated? I'm not talking about not paying your bill and then having your interest rates go up. I'm talking about cc companies intentionally twisting things so that they can up your rates and then not giving you any avenues to fight this.

And yes, you know that they can up their rates, but do you really think you will go from 7% to 30%? Should that be legal?

It is nearly impossible for a person to file for bankruptcy now, but these companies are given legal protection all of the time.

I think that there does have to be a rule of law when it comes to business, and saying "we can increase your rates at any time, for any reason or just because we feel like it" should not be legal.

Kris

Comment

We had one cc change the billing cycle from 30 days to 25 days without informing us (well, the info was posted on the website supposedly somewhere, and since we were in paperless billing we would've really had to look for it), and so we ended up being late by 2 days on the automatic payment we had set up. They charged the late fee, the interest, the whole nine yards. We got it reversed, but it still pissed me off, since we are good customers (well, bad if the cc is only interested in collecting fees- b/c we don't carry consumer debt). I canceled that card right away...

I don't know- but since there is a cap on where mortgages can go (I think it's 18% or something) it seems reasonable to me to cap the cc rate at 18% too. I'm generally a "free market" type of person but I think banks can make plenty at 18%. I don't like the banks nailing the cc customers to compensate for the mortgage mess, or for any other problem.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Credit cards are such a mess right now. We hare attempting to become a cash-only family (outside of a mortgage and car loan) as a result.

Yes, it is absolutely immoral what happened to you, Kris. We've had problems in a similar vein regarding our checking account with Bank of America (which is the Great White Shark among predators).
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
                You signed that agreement. You took their money under those terms however fine the print was. If you no longer like the terms then leave. It is a product. The market will bend to the consumer who has more power than the government.
                But the point here, Annie, is that not everyone can leave. If you have a cc that you use and they hike up the interest rates for reasons that are invalid and you have no recourse to fight it AND you can't pay it off, you are doomed to pay until you can. In many cases, that truly is unfair to the consumer and the law should protect consumers against abuse.

Jenn, one of the neighbors in our old neighborhood had a huge hoo-ha with Bank of America .... they do suck.

kris

Comment

You signed that agreement. You took their money under those terms however fine the print was. If you no longer like the terms then leave. It is a product. The market will bend to the consumer who has more power than the government.
                  they're also known for changing agreements after you're already a customer, and again, not everyone can pay it off and walk away. and quite often, the change just makes it more difficult to pay it off.

and what about people who become unemployed, disabled, etc.? With some cc companies, if you miss so much as ONE payment -- even after a stellar history -- your rate can get jacked up to insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                    But the point here, Annie, is that not everyone can leave.
                    Close it. Reduce your consumption and start paying back the money you've borrowed...however slowly. If enough people start closing their accounts the companies will change for their own survival. The most significant change you can affect is through your own consumer choices, not your vote. Not long ago there was no such things as credit cards so don't tell me people can't live without them. It's not an overly simple solution. Just not a popular one.

Morally, I think they are robbing people. It's sick, sick, sick. However, I think predatory lenders need to be allowed to choke themselves. Darwinian economics. Better companies that can meet people's needs will emerge. There's definitely a market for them. Federally harnessing and restraining predatory companies only allows them to continue to survive and thrive within our society at our maximum terms. Let them die, however painful the death. Walk away.
                    ITA.

As a side note, I used to work for Bank of America. I worked for those predators for 6 years and they absolutely deserve the reputation they have.
                    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I guess in theory that' s an idea, Annie...but we couldn't close anything during fellowship because we needed our cc's to pay for our moves and dh's boards, etc. Fortunately, we had more money coming in eventually so we could work our way out of debt....

What do the resident's families do now though? If you need your cc to pay for the move for fellowship or the upcoming board fees, etc, you can't cancel and walk away. In some cases, they end up having you by the short hairs there.

I don't think people should be bailed out of their consumer debt, but cc's shouldn't be able to change things quite so drastically on a whim. We were pretty lucky with citibank that we just paid the balance off and cancelled. We could, because we were no longer in training and the balance was small enough. But my interest rate didn't go up a point or two...balls of fire, it went up in the double digits for a first time infraction that was NOT an infraction.

The free market can only work when the parties play fair too.

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by MD/PhD Wife
                        Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                        But the point here, Annie, is that not everyone can leave.
                        Close it. Reduce your consumption and start paying back the money you've borrowed...however slowly. If enough people start closing their accounts the companies will change for their own survival. The most significant change you can affect is through your own consumer choices, not your vote. Not long ago there was no such things as credit cards so don't tell me people can't live without them. It's not an overly simple solution. Just not a popular one.

Morally, I think they are robbing people. It's sick, sick, sick. However, I think predatory lenders need to be allowed to choke themselves. Darwinian economics. Better companies that can meet people's needs will emerge. There's definitely a market for them. Federally harnessing and restraining predatory companies only allows them to continue to survive and thrive within our society at our maximum terms. Let them die, however painful the death. Walk away.
                        ITA.

As a side note, I used to work for Bank of America. I worked for those predators for 6 years and they absolutely deserve the reputation they have.
                        So, you worked for Bank of America for a looong time and realize that they are predators (your word) that don't play fair...feel like they totally deserve the bad reputation that they have for screwing people, and then feel like the people BEING screwed should be the ones to take responsibility and walk away...that fair lending has to be an issue forced by consumers that have no power?

Comment

These companies are in the death throes of their own greed.
                          OK...I just love that quote, Annie! I'm stealing it!

Comment

Nikolai just received an offer from Chase to open a credit card at ONLY 17%...but he'd get to up his American Airlines frequent flyer miles to 27000.

He regretfully declined the offer until he's old enough to have Quinn pick him up in the Batmobile and take him to work.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                              Nikolai just received an offer from Chase to open a credit card at ONLY 17%...but he'd get to up his American Airlines frequent flyer miles to 27000.

He regretfully declined the offer until he's old enough to have Quinn pick him up in the Batmobile and take him to work.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X