Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If you vote for a particular party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you vote for a particular party

ie....you are a party dem or a party republican....

and your favorite candidate doesn't get the primary nod, will you continue to support your party?

I've heard a lot of Clinton-haters say that if she gets the nomination they simply will not show up to vote...which I really don't understand. I've also heard some republicans say that if Huckabee gets the endorsement that they won't vote. :huh:
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: If you vote for a particular party

Originally posted by Ladybug
    I think refusing to vote is ridiculous. :huh:

I think there is a candidate or two who, if they won the nomination, would push me to vote for the other party.

Comment

that is absurd. i would (and have) vote for the person nearest to my goals / beliefs.

ETA: even if that person isn't representing my "normal" party.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
        that is absurd. i would (and have) vote for the person nearest to my goals / beliefs.

ETA: even if that person isn't representing my "normal" party.
        ditto

Comment

I agree with everyone else. Unless, of course the race comes down between any of the repubs (shudder) and John Edwards. Then, I might stay home and cry. Or go 3rd party.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I tend to vote Republican but I'm not registered and I like being officially "independent".

I WILL vote. But, I know of the candidates who I will and will not vote for if they get the nomination. I also fully expect a third party candidate this time around - and he will be my alternative to not voting should I face two choices I cannot support.
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I'll vote for the one who most closely represents how I feel about things, even if it's nothing more than "yup, the sky is blue."

I have to say I would have a VERY hard time voting for a creationist. Abortion? While I believe in a woman's right to choose and I'll defend that right but...I totally get how people find it morally reprehensible.

So, if there's a Republican who is cool w/ evolution but not ok w/ abortion vs. a Democrat who is a creationist and not ok w/ abortion I'll go w/ the Republican.

THE big issue for me these days is the environment and all of the attendent issues with that (fuel production/consumption/effiency, solar, wind development, water quality, etc. Because really- if we can't breathe the air around us and we can't drink the water then it really doesn't matter whether you are pro-choice or not.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                I have to say I would have a VERY hard time voting for a creationist. Abortion? While I believe in a woman's right to choose and I'll defend that right but...I totally get how people find it morally reprehensible.
                Really? So, religion is important to you when it comes to elections. Interesting....

Comment

Jenn- Why wouldn't religion be just as important to me, a non-theist, as it would be to you, a devout Mormon?

I'd say those particular factoids about ourselves say quite a bit about who we are as members of society, right?

I heard a great quote the other day on NPR, "It's the people you agree with least who are the people you can learn the most from." I think that's completely true. You don't have to agree but you do have to respect where the other person is coming from.

I'd prefer that religion be removed from the national politic and return to the days of merely knowing what box they check on a questionnaire. I don't care 'what' box they check, but I do care if they're going to advocate that the states remove evolution from their curriculum or that they believe that it's their responsibility to protect Nature as God (whichever god they happen to believe in) created it.

See? I don't need to believe in God to happen to agree w/ that candidate that we need to protect the environment.

Jenn

Comment

I will go with my party line, most likely, because I can't see myself voting for any of the democrats this time round, at all. I don't think I would do a 3rd party candidate. To me, it's sort of like throwing away a vote. But then, it's always throwing away my vote because I always vote opposite of my state, so :huh: . But I'll vote anyway...

I don't really hear much about the creationist argument? Is this a Huckster thing? I am not a creationist myself, but it doesn't offend me if someone is. My cuz has a phD in some type of evolution/anthropology thing and she teaches at a Christian university... So certainly not all (I would venture to say not most) Christians are creationists-- but most "evangelicals" probably are...

I have voted for democrat governors/senators in my (misguided ) youth, though....
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I'll vote for the one who most closely represents how I feel about things, even if it's nothing more than "yup, the sky is blue."

So, if there's a Republican who is cool w/ evolution but not ok w/ abortion vs. a Democrat who is a creationist and not ok w/ abortion I'll go w/ the Republican.

THE big issue for me these days is the environment and all of the attendent issues with that (fuel production/consumption/effiency, solar, wind development, water quality, etc. Because really- if we can't breathe the air around us and we can't drink the water then it really doesn't matter whether you are pro-choice or not.

Jenn

Although I must say that I couldn't see myself voting for a republican this time around because none of them are even close to my personal beliefs. My biggest issues are Iraq, the environment, and healthcare.
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Jenn- Why wouldn't religion be just as important to me, a non-theist, as it would be to you, a devout Mormon?

I'd say those particular factoids about ourselves say quite a bit about who we are as members of society, right?

I heard a great quote the other day on NPR, "It's the people you agree with least who are the people you can learn the most from." I think that's completely true. You don't have to agree but you do have to respect where the other person is coming from.

I'd prefer that religion be removed from the national politic and return to the days of merely knowing what box they check on a questionnaire. I don't care 'what' box they check, but I do care if they're going to advocate that the states remove evolution from their curriculum or that they believe that it's their responsibility to protect Nature as God (whichever god they happen to believe in) created it.

See? I don't need to believe in God to happen to agree w/ that candidate that we need to protect the environment.

Jenn

Thanks for the explanation!

While I haven't voted in the past according to religion I DO vote according to my ethics and opinions. So, I completely understand what you are saying

Comment

Originally posted by MD/PhD Wife

Jenn

Although I must say that I couldn't see myself voting for a republican this time around because none of them are even close to my personal beliefs. My biggest issues are Iraq, the environment, and healthcare.
                          I agree. I would vote Republican if the person represented my beliefs -- I never have to date but it COULD happen. (Just not THIS election. )
                          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I will stick with my party. Surprised anyone?!?
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                            X