Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

WalMart Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WalMart Politics

Forget the candidates for a minute. Yesterday, I had to run to wallyworld (i know, i know). I bought a newspaper that had information about the primaries on them. The lady at the checkout said "did you know that this year we have two democrats running against each other for president. There are no republicans on the ballot this year."

I thought maybe I misunderstood her.

"You mean the primaries that we get to cast our vote in on Tuesday?"

"The election. This year, no republicans are running." (I'm sure the republican candidates will be happy to hear that.)

"No...for the primaries, there is Obama, Clinton and Gravel and the republicans have McCain, Romney, Huckabee and Paul".

"No, there are no republicans"

"uh huh"

So she went on about how exciting it is that we have two dems running.

"Yes, it's exciting this year...This really is history in the making for the democrats. We have a black man and a woman. Whomever wins will be an excellent candidate."

"Well, don't you go voting for someone just because she's a woman"

"ok"

Wow. No wonder Wal-Mart gets away with MURDER.

I don't think this lady had a CLUE...and I don't know that she supported any candidate....She didn't even know that we vote in the primaries on Tuesday....

But Holy COW. I can't believe that there are people who are so out of it.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: WalMart Politics

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

:thud:
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Wow the ignorance of some people never seems to suprise me.
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

That is awesome. I dislike Walmart with a deep deep passion. I can't believe you engaged her for that long. Did she give you change back for a 20 when you gave her a ten?!!

Comment

Um, yeah. So, the republican primary was a few weeks ago here, and the dem primary was a week later. We are in Greenville to see dh and out to breakfast when we are approached by...

I kid you not. Okay, so it wasn't Randy Quaid, but it was who he based his character on. He was wearing shorts, a jean jacket (no shirt), cowboy boots. He told us he had come all the way from Easley to vote and needed some money for gas to get back home. First of all, NO. I am not giving someone who is obviously drunk, money for gas! He asked if we could take his $2 and gas can and bring him back some gas. Ummm, NO. It was creepy. Your $2 is going to buy a lot of gas buddy.

But, the thing that got me was that this dude ws voting in the REPUBLICAN primary!! If anyone should be a democrat...Clearly this dude needed social programs.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

This is the most unbelievable thing that I have ever encountered.

The particular employee has served me before....and in the interest of full disclosure, the last time she talked to me, she engaged ME for about 10 minutes about how she had found God and the Lord was giving her new direction in her life...and every decision that she makes she gives to God now....

It went beyond a normal person talking about their faith...and it was an extremely odd exchange. I have tried to avoid her aisle since then. I think she's mentally ill...though obviously not because she's religious...because of the way that she was talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                Um, yeah. So, the republican primary was a few weeks ago here, and the dem primary was a week later. We are in Greenville to see dh and out to breakfast when we are approached by...

I kid you not. Okay, so it wasn't Randy Quaid, but it was who he based his character on. He was wearing shorts, a jean jacket (no shirt), cowboy boots. He told us he had come all the way from Easley to vote and needed some money for gas to get back home. First of all, NO. I am not giving someone who is obviously drunk, money for gas! He asked if we could take his $2 and gas can and bring him back some gas. Ummm, NO. It was creepy. Your $2 is going to buy a lot of gas buddy.

But, the thing that got me was that this dude ws voting in the REPUBLICAN primary!! If anyone should be a democrat...Clearly this dude needed social programs.
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I think this goes beyond ignorance and enters the land of mental illness - at least borderline. And, I base that on what seems to be a pattern. If it was just the one conversation on politics (which was in my opinion) then I'd say she's just hilariously uninformed - but this seems to be a persistant problem for her.

I wonder: When she talked to you for 10 minutes about religion while checking you out - what did the people behind you do? Eventually such behavior is going to get her fired and I feel sorry for her in a way.
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
                    Heidi, stop showing everyone my picture.

Regarding the employee: Wow, but, hey, at least she has an honest job and contributes to the system and that wins you points in my book regardless of your political ignorance.

Very true. I give her points for getting to work every day and doing her job (er, except for the sharing of the life story).

But wow. That is sad.

Comment

Just to be clear. I wasn't making fun of a mentally ill person. When I realized that I thought she was the same person I had had a 10 minute conversation with about religion, I said that...and I thought the responses were appropriate.

I would hope that you would all know me well enough right now to know that I'm a very understanding person...I'm sorry that this thread was misinterpreted....but...you're dead wrong there. I talked to this person for 10 minutes instead of walking away because I try to be nice to everyone that I meet...maybe she talked for 10 minutes because I let her...after all, I also hide from the Schwan's man.

That being said, it really was a surreal experience...and I do not mean to denigrate her as a person. I am sorry that it came across like that.

I post here on the fly when I can....I am in my car a good 4 hours a day...and the other time I'm busy taking care of 5 kids. I don't always have the chance to choose every word as wisely as I could have.

From now on, I will limit any posting to when I have an uninterrupted block of time so that I can think through my words and choose them more carefully. I regret that people were offended by what I wrote.

Yours,

Kris

Comment

Kris - I don't think that you said anything offensive at all! :huh: I think that I totally get what you were trying to say!

Kate
                        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

DITTO to what Kate said.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                          X