Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

updated 2:17 p.m. ET, Sat., Feb. 23, 2008
    RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia began interrogating 57 men Saturday who were arrested for flirting with women in front of a shopping mall in the holy city of Mecca, a local newspaper reported.

The country's religious police arrested the men Thursday night for behavior that also allegedly included dancing to pop music blaring from their cars and wearing improper clothing, reported the Okaz newspaper, which is deemed close to the government.

Saturday's newspaper report did not say what kind of outfits the young men were wearing, but T-shirts emblazoned with drawings or English writing are often an invitation for harassment by the religious police. Islamic radicals also consider pop music a corrupting force.
    Women in Saudi Arabia are required to wear a long, enveloping black cloak called an abaya and cover their hair with a headscarf.

The newspaper report said the men who were arrested Thursday could be released if they could prove they did not flirt with any women. Otherwise, they will be transferred to court and stand trial, the paper added.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23308294/
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Re: What do you think?

What do I think?

It's repressive. It's a nation without many basic human rights. And, I'm glad I don't live there.
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

If I could only use one word, it would be sadness. It really makes me feel so sad, on so many levels.
      Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That, too.

I cannot imagine living in that environment. It does make me sad...

It also makes me count my own blessings.

Comment

I agree, I do count my blessings. I look at myself and my daughters and I realize how lucky we are. The freedom we have, it just is (at least for my daughters) I had to fight for alot of the freedoms they have and I take every opportunity to remind them!!!!
          Luanne

Comment

Is it pathetic that I take heart in the fact that men were arrested for this? In some countries (actually in Saudi Arabia), I would have expected to hear that the women were arrested for "enticing" the men to flirt with them. Remember - this is a place where a rape victim will be charged with adultery. So - sad - yes. But perhaps some kind of freaky progress on the part of women???

I dunno ... looking for a bright side, I guess.

Comment

I had not thought about it that way!

Come to think of it - do we know what happened to the women?

Comment

Working...
              X